Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 30-07-2019, 10:06 AM
dikman (Richard)

You're doing well, mate. When I read your earlier post about moving the pier I immediately visualised the ancient Egyptians building the Pyramids by hauling big blocks with ropes etc (unless you believe aliens built them).

Reminds me of when I bought a large anvil (280 lbs) and had to get it out of the car! Biggest problem was the boot had a high lip on it!!

Sitting around a fire, roasting some meat (baked potatoes in the ashes, maybe?) and a beer - couldn't ask for much more, I reckon.
Old 30-07-2019, 10:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Oh how I would love a 280 lb anvil.

Thanks for your encouragement Richard.

As to veggies.. potato,sweet potatoes pumpkin..all great for baking.. but in a conventional baking dish...I do use a camp over but usually just for bread or pizza.

Beer rarely if not at all...but I have been getting whiskey to forget the legs sometimes but a bottle only last two days...well not two days but 24 hours starting at 8 pm it is gone by 8 pm the next day..but I find it dulls my legs ... but not being allowed to drive means I rarely use it...been thinking of making my own..just for fun..

I don't seem to get drunk just slower and more careful cause I know my ability is different.

Thanks for your post as it is so nice to have a rest and find a comment..Anyways back to work.
I have decided to take the tree down like in the Lord of the Rings, well not entirely but pull it down rather than cut it..I reckon if I dig a hole in the direction it is to fall, add water, tie some ropes under tension it will eventually fall over. Anyways that has started, about two hours ago...so any month now.

Alex

Little progress on the observatory as spent all my time sorting the van and the electrics and trying to climb over the accumulating stuff. At least the car is unpacked now.
Alex

Not a roast but just cooking sausages and carrots on a star picket. Late edit rather than new post so someone else is on top...the sausages were great but the carrots were excellent ..tasty as perhaps the best I have ever tasted as the fat from the sausages ran down and gave then a unique flavour...I spent time today leveling the thing and working out footings and fixed the turffer which was playing up... I am going to do some beef jerkyover the fire tomorrow if I can fit that in.
Alex

Cut down four trees and taking an exposure now to see how many more so I can see csp
Alex

Not much happening as I have been getting a little astronomy in ...also one night up to 3-30 am processing so I have been exhausted during the day really. Today I spent time squaring the thing up and adding additional screws in various places. I cut some planks to add to the exterior for additional strength and measured for the corner iron sections but my bargain Aldi Genny would not run the angle grinder..just now..there are three gennies at the house that will do the job as I have used the angle grinder on them and they worked ok. I played at digging starting the holes for the piers but frankly I could not go on so came in to cook a meal as I forgot to eat today.
It's like when you get a house to lock up stage..it looks complete but actually that is when the work really starts.
I am going to bring down the old 1100 amp hour 12 vlt batteries from the house having gained experience and confidence as to moving heavy stuff using ropes and that neat little $15 turffer. The batteries are on their last legs but I expect I can get a usable 50 amps out of them which should run the fridge..anyways those at the house will be happy to get them away from the house as folk have been telling them stories about old batteries blowing up and they feel they are dangerous.
Sorry there is not more to report and I suppose from now on it will be just small things like painting adding a better door maybe a motorised roof...And building the pier for the 80 mm might be fun if I can't get a welder and have to make the connector fitting in fibre glass..well not fibre glass but resin and stainless steel dish washers...
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190801164247_resize_59.jpg)
104.2 KB90 views

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:21 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Going great guns, Alex, wont be long until the night of 1st light within, tho it may seem forever, it is a real exciting time - then on its easy sailing ! !
Looking on with interests.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

OK...back to work.
This morning at day break I got back into it..
Rounding stuff up last night I decided to paint all the exposed pine that I had to use...had to only because it was available and I had no similar hardwood..after using hardwood pine seems so pathetic...still doing the roof in hardwood ?..a real challenge.
So the painting that I planned is complefe plus two new canvassesfor some recreational acrylic pour art work later...plus one that I had to start over..

Now I have to go around and add fastnings where needed, a tedious job but necessary now the thing is in place..and I want to at least start the holes for each of the pier footings don't need to dig much but it will for me be rather painful...maybe I should have bought a bottle of booze for this part...but what do you do..they won't dig themselves...I have worked out the pier for the heq5 in detail and although as simple as I can come up with effectively requires a ply mold for the cement which although that will take some effort after it is completethings should go rather quickly...I hope ..Anyways that's my rest period done..another hour of work and then something to eat if I remember.

And I came back to find two swallows have made a nest over the light fitting in the annex ..I had taken the glasscover off for transporting the van now I can't put it back cause they are there...but neat company..they sat close by all this morning and although I know they were only concerned it was nice to have a living creature nearby..even the ants seemed to be gathering around the work bench and getting in the way but I didn't step on any.
I must give them names later.
Alex
Old 06-09-2019, 04:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have not been well so I have not done one tenth of the things I had planned this trip.
However..designed the pier and assembled the materials which I will take back to Sydney and build most of it there.
Dug the holes for both piers and although they could be deeper think they will do after all I work with short focal lengths .. highest, the eight inch, is only 1000mm and with pole master now finding a tiny window thru the trees I can call the holes dug...I have still to drive in the star pickets and still have to cut another four..so getting very close.

Over the last couple of days I have cleaned up the annex which was a junk pile to look at assembled a set of shelves installed two small tables and removed stuff that is no longer needed..petrol chain saw various tools all the art gear...so it looks great and is functional to do small jobs.

Also went and got the fire pump that supplied the house dam water which I un necessarily replaced thinking it did not pump..it did... so the payoff is I now have a dedicated fire pump...needed inlet hoses and fire fighting hose and today put it in position fitted everything, what a job, one of those things that should be real simple but it took me a couple of hours..and it was so hot..a big bonus was I was separated from the dam by a barb wire fence but I had to cut away a section to position the pump so now I can walk down to the dam and cool my feet..there is a little jetty that needs some work but I t will be really nice to sit on late afternoon...I just now finished the fire pump set up filled it with petrol but was too tired to pull the starter..I have to be careful doing that because of the back ..so I have poured some petrol into the air cleaner and after I feel rested will give it three pulls..if it starts I will happy and will soak the place cause there are fires to my West and there is a Westerly wind blowing..two firesI think..lots of smoke..but if it does not start I am finished for the day...maybe when I know whats going on with the fires I will become more motivated but now I am dead beat..
My big problem is this van needs air conditioning and I need something under 2000 watts else I will have to bring in the 5 kva and it's a thirsty unit plus not sine wave..probably just need to forget about it really..just now put in a 240 volt fan and painted all the exposed windows white which helps but it was still 35 degrees...don't want to get heat stroke again ...so cooling is a difficult problem for me...I have some ideas but they will have to wait for my next attack on the to do list.
Alex

8 pulls ...did not start damn it..now I will be on a mission until I get it to go...I wish I finished earlier now I will be removing the spark plug in the dark..And I certainly hope it's not the carby..could be dirt in the main jet as it's been sitting idle for a while crud accumulates and before you know it..I will do a couple more pulls later but I will find a spark plug spanner to see what the plug has to tell me after that ..the plug will tell me what's wrong...but I really need to work out how to put on an electric starter this cord nonsense is uncivilized...anyways done that sort of thing before..its just another thing for the todo list. Still so hot.
Alex

Here is a snap of the object of my attention.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190907170426_compress24.jpg)
221.0 KB138 views

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:29 PM
dikman (Richard)

That jetty looks.......interesting.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
That jetty looks.......interesting.
It does require some repair for sure but I can imagine a deck chair late afternoon drinking an iced tea and hopefully watching wild life come in for a drink. The dam has some ducks but they fly away as soon as they see me but maybe in time I can feed them and have them hang around.

Great day.

Fixed the house/dam pump and stocked all the appropriate water tanks.

Fitted the extention to the fire pump at the dam and report it works and the van site is well covered...even was able to wash the car.

Mostly so happy that the old house was not destroyed.

And the wind the has eased so may be they can get on top of it.
Alex
Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Sounds like a very beautiful, peaceful and tranquil area you have I there Alex
It must be a pleasure to build your Obs in such a great place
Take your time , it will make completing it and using it much more memorable , remember the story of the tortoise and the hare ( slow and steady wins the race )
Really enjoying reading your progress
Martin
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Sounds like a very beautiful, peaceful and tranquil area you have I there Alex
It must be a pleasure to build your Obs in such a great place
Take your time , it will make completing it and using it much more memorable , remember the story of the tortoise and the hare ( slow and steady wins the race )
Really enjoying reading your progress
Martin
Thanks Martin..I don't buy that tortoise and the hare story at best it's heresay and at worst it is a fabrication by those who would control us to educate us to accept less and think we can win with inferior tools when clearly a much more proactive approach is called for.

Although I certainly think there is some merit in the Chicken Little fable when considering the climate change players as I am convinced although the sky may be indeed falling there are no doubt many foxes shouting the warning and certainly the NP lobby has billions of reasons to shout the loudest...personally I would only listen to the solar power supporting foxes.

We think we have so much time but that is an illusion...I fully expected to have this observatory finished in six weeks with an absence in Sydney in there and just look how long it has been...but I have been working so hard...each post on iceinspace is a rest period...And look at how many...so I have been working all that in between...excluding a couple of hours painting...And taking photos and driving.

Then little things like these Bush fires and sickness all takes away the little time you have.

Anyways a big day today I have to go to the bank, and do a materials and food shop but I hope to get something done...I must get at least one thing done or I see the day as wasted.
Got to go rest period over.
Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
OK...back to work.
This morning at day break I got back into it..
Rounding stuff up last night I decided to paint all the exposed pine that I had to use...had to only because it was available and I had no similar hardwood..after using hardwood pine seems so pathetic...still doing the roof in hardwood ?..a real challenge.

Alex
Alex ned time a storm comes through and knock down trees, you will be able to find hardwood if you do have a chainsaw. Lost muffler on mine, but it should turn up. Son gave it to me missing the Muffler bolts, who my son moved out of home. Recently purchased a ALI Whipper Snipper/Brush cutter with a Pole saw attachment, Cuts through 5 inch limbs -- dead sally wattle, haven't tried bigger yet.

Quote:
Sorry there is not more to report and I suppose from now on it will be just small things like painting adding a better door maybe a motorised roof...And building the pier for the 80 mm might be fun if I can't get a welder and have to make the connector fitting in fibre glass..well not fibre glass but resin and stainless steel dish washers...
Alex
Saw a 140 Amp older for only $30 about a week ago. Was tempted myself, but think I want more power. A year ago sold my 230 AMP Tradesman Welder -- took up too much room.

Quote:
Oh how I would love a 280 lb anvil.

I have decided to take the tree down like in the Lord of the Rings, well not entirely but pull it down rather than cut it..I reckon if I dig a hole in the direction it is to fall, add water, tie some ropes under tension it will eventually fall over. Anyways that has started, about two hours ago...so any month now.

Alex
Have made myself an Anvil at TAFE a 12 years ago from a section of Railway track, which they supplied to the whole class -- enrolled in a full-time Welding course my son was doing to help make up the numbers. If not enough students they can cancel the Class. My son was doing that class.

Certainly not as good as a big commercial anvil, but better than nothing.

As far as dropping a tree. We had a Sally wattle that threatened to fall on an old Range Rover I am doing up. Had found a couple of big Ratchet Straps that a Semi Trailer had lost, along the side of the road. So used these to tie the tree back towards another tree, After a few months as the bottom rotted out, used those to pull that tree down.

Quote:
Termites are abundant. They will eat most everything...books clothes furniture ...anything that is stationary really. Not steel of course.
They will win so no point in thinking you have a chance really...I will make the floor as good as I can to hold them out so they have to come out in the open to get to anything but they will come thru cement ..I may lay some termie mesh if I can find any...maybe sit the box on iron sheet so they have to come out to get to the timber ... I bury pine around the place to monitor if they are near...they dont like movement I think..I had a door that survived for years but when I left that house empty for six months they ate it thru. I should be able to see them arrive and that is the key ... disturb them as much as possible... they can eat the hardwood it could be eaten out and is still very strong ..the pine is a different matter but if they get to it I will fibre glass it and they can eat the lot☺ ... Also there are three different ant nests around the van and ants will have termites for breakfast...but there is so much wood on the ground past the clearing one hopes they may leave me and alone....maybe pour that diesel I drained from the sunken boat on the ground ...I am not sure if that could work.
Anyways being realistic by the time it all falls down I will be in old age care or dead...I can build faster than they can eat☺
Alex
If you can ever find Blind snakes -- they look like large Earthworms, they love eating termites. Put them into the Termite nest.

Last edited by RB; 13-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
If you can ever find Blind snakes -- they look like large Earthworms, they love eating termites. Put them into the Termite nest.
John I could not turn a predictor loose on its prey...they may be small but they only have one life I don't want to be in any way responsible for ending their little hint of existence.

Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Damn it...initial observations tell me that the eight inch won't work in this set up as the thing is not wide enough...the cube in Sydney was oriented with the diagonal lined up North South which gives room for the eight..I just did not think it through...So the options seem to be..leave the eight out and bring up the cube for it up here, or rotate the whole thing 90 degrees which although seemingly impossible can be done with rollers and rails...or partly dismantle it and widen it .... Anyways the 80 mm should fit although I will set it up another night too tired too disheartened at the moment..before I do anything I will bring the eight up and set the eight up and see just what I am working with....Great night here and doing some widefield but the dew is as expected very heavy and I don't think the fire will help...also more trees need to come down as I can't see the Southern cross which is a surprise..I love surprises...yes I love surprises and problems as they can only help build ones character.
It feels better writing it down for some reason.
Look at everything that has gone right and don't let the minor set backs ruin your day...beats talking to myself...arrrrrggghhh
Alex
Compass should give you south -- take into account the difference between Tru south and magnetic south. An Angle of the south Celestial pole could possibly be done with a protractor and spirit level.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Compass should give you south -- take into account the difference between Tru south and magnetic south. An Angle of the south Celestial pole could possibly be done with a protractor and spirit level.
Thank you John for your suggestions but let me update you.
I cut down some trees and found a very small window to use my pole master (a small camera you place in the polar axis or where your polar scope is found).
With it and the program it comes with you use stars around the Celestial South Pole to find the Celestial South Pole ..it is rather exact thankfully.
Alex
Old 18-09-2019, 11:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Back down in Sydney and started on the pier for the 80mm. It needs to be short so everything will fit in the four foot between the floor and the roof.
It has a long way to go but I show these early stages so you can see the ply as when finished all the ply will be black.
The way I do this is to mix black tile grout with the resin before I add hardener. But it's just routine fibre glass routine although I do overlay the glass with impregnated paper to give it a smooth surface and remove the necessity to sand.

Edit. Near done. See last photo.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190917110913_resize_46.jpg)
85.7 KB89 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20190917110851_resize_44.jpg)
137.3 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20190917120307_resize_53.jpg)
68.9 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20190925175056_resize_52.jpg)
88.9 KB64 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 25-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 28-09-2019, 07:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been rather crook for a while now so progress has slowed but I have completed the ply/ fibre glass pier.
Had to abandon the idea of a nice finish but it is strong and I can't detect any flex. Next is to pour the footing etc but still a lot my way off completion...not so simple..well it's simpler but so many things still to do.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190928_080354_resize_27.jpg)
182.3 KB102 views
Old 28-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Structural integrity is more important than cosmetic looks
You have done well , looks solid and will serve you well once bolted down
Martin
Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Slow going.
When you get old or have to cope with physical limitations it is good to remember things are just a little harder but you can by being careful and patient to still get things done.

So this week I had to take it very slowly but I managed to get done in a week a job that should have only taken half a day.

For many reasons I ad to build the structure first ...and glad that I left the footings untill last because I had to rotate the structure thru 90 degrees...anyways taking it slow doing only a couple of feet each session I am happy to say the footings are pretty well done...there are a few spots that need more attention but I could get away with what has been done.
I wanted to put both piers in but just could not get them done..hopefully next week.
Here is a photo of the little job that has taken me a week of intermittent effort.
Alex

The photo is of the back side which I will eventually cover to house batteries and Genny...although if I added another slideoff roof could house two additional scopes and mounts.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20191005132352_resize_64.jpg)
94.4 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20191005132340_resize_11.jpg)
99.7 KB58 views

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 13-10-2019, 09:57 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Major step forward.
Was able to purchase a small 1.6 kw air conditioner for the van but just thought should have got two one for the van and one for the observatory.
What I realise is management of heat is going to be a huge problem for both the van and the observatory.
Both need to be under tarps as a first step...next a fan system for both constructions. It would be good to finally have a system that powered up and can supply power to two air conditioners for days you need to do something..but if your not there to have something kick in when temp reaches say 30...I painted all windows exposured to direct Sunlight with with paint...surprising how that helped.
For the van I am thinking two poles either end with a rope between do you can put up a trap pup tent style...digging the holes...need a post hole digger..manual $90 mmm maybe a fancy petrol one...got the poles not 10 meters away..the ones cut down to clear the spot.. they are big but this timber looks like spotty gum but it is lite weight ...so I could probably manage one...and that little cordless chain saw can cut them..I would not like to try the cordless on spotty or iron bark...although it has been a surprise since day one..it's great.
But when working inside the observatory last week doing some footing work...I keep adding more..it was pretty hot but surprisingly cool inside...but I wish I had put wool in the roof ...I am thinking of adding wool and another cladding layer..roofing iron seems the way to go..more fire proof has become an issue...need to have its own sprinkler system that you have to hopefully hold the fire at bay..I like the idea of doing much more to insulate...going to put bean bag balls between the ground and the floor...probably encased in concrete...

I think I will cover the roof of the observatory with solar panels and stick insulation under them so they can do a roofing job.
It seems the more I do the more there is to be done.
Old 13-10-2019, 12:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

By putting in footings I have taken away the advantage of air flow under. But the frame divides the floor into, in effect little boxes..this is where I plan to fill with bean bag balls...but if I cut a hole so as to connect rack box in line..blow air via a little say 60watt fan so the air must travel thru the boxes of bean bag stuff...and on the last on a exhaust fan and a desiccant in each box (cooling water vapour and not air is key apparently)..and outside a garden to keep this region insulated from the hot earth all around...I noticed in the house as hot as it was the floors were cold ..just a fan pointers down harvested this cold air opportunity...I wonder if the surface area that the air in my floor system would help somehow.. but at a guess would expect under is going to be five degrees cooler maybe more. And a sprinkler on the Annex so you can wet it and have a big Coolgardie fridge...but that would help...maybe blankets on too to hold more water...good for fires as well...
Alex

Blankets all over the van roof and even the observatory roof with a water tank dripping water...that would cold things you would think.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 13-10-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 20-10-2019, 04:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Update...
Tried the new aircon on the 2 kVA Genny and it runs ..I expect it should cool but as yet it is not installed ...but test one was a success...and just realised I forgot to cut off the choke...it runs rather well under choke and I did not notice...so next time should be real smooth.

So very happy as I did so want to have a use for my $200 Aldi Genny...I just hope the aircon puts up with electricity from a Genny. .only $400 delivered...so $600 only for the aircon all up.

Today cleaned out the floor area and the holes that I have dug for each of the piers..took much longer than expected but it was cooler in the observatory than in the van...I purchased the short star pickets, at Bunnings in Sydney so as to make sure they are on site, to use in a Frankie pile approach and the day after tomorrow I will fill the holes with water ( maybe later if I can recover after today's effort) so as to hopefully make driving in the star pickets an easy job..just so long as they go in I will be happy. Debating whether to paint them ..probably by the time they rust thru I will have the same issue..

I guess I must paint them otherwise I will worry.
I manage the perfection thing ok but there are times I have to give in to keep it quiet.

The only problem with the aircon is that the window I wanted to put it in is just 2 inches too small (height width is ok) and that means I will have to build a box ...I suppose I could cut the window but certainly that would mean cutting thru framing...I will give it more thought but a box seems sensible...And with a box I can fix a fan to blow over the unit...that must help.
But I want it in the van Annex which should be cooler than outside completely.
Not sure if I mentioned it but I have worked out how to place a canvass over the van..looked earlier and selected the logs.

I did want to do some imaging tonight but the clouds have rolled it ..not only that but that damn fire is still going so there is still smoke...and maybe after the drive yesterday and a full work day today an early night is in order. Still really want to do something..all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...

Also did a little tidy up of the footings which turned out great..I never thought I would get them finished with the one rock at a time and pattycake approach.

Anyways I need a nap. Thanks for checking in.
Alex