Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
batema (Mark)

Peter it does look beautiful. My question is do you cover it with that wooden shed after use and if so would it be possible to take a couple of photos as I am about to order a AP1100 as well as a Tec 140 and I have no observatory and am trying to sole my dilemma of how do I set it up semi permanently without having to set up and pull down every night.

Mark
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Peter it does look beautiful. My question is do you cover it with that wooden shed after use and if so would it be possible to take a couple of photos as I am about to order a AP1100 as well as a Tec 140 and I have no observatory and am trying to sole my dilemma of how do I set it up semi permanently without having to set up and pull down every night.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Here is a link to quite a lot of photos showing how I constructed the roll off shed. If I were to do it again I would just make the base wider. It's a bit too narrow...not for the equipment but for the height. The length and height is just standard ply size. It would help if the entire structure were a little longer. With a camera on the drawtube, focused, the door just closes by mm. It would be a bit more complicated to build longer. The TEC140 does fit when focused with smaller cameras like an 8300 chip CCD. Amazingly it also fits a TEC180 with the TEC140 on top if the dew shield on the 180 is retracted, but I know it will not be long enough when focused...so I will be lengthening my structure soon. Actually I will only need to lengthen the area around the focuser/camera so it may look like a smaller box stuck on the large box. I've never had an issue with wind. However, I am completely protected by a tall house on one side. Out in the open I know this structure would need to be a lot wider and probably anchored with some cables to keep it from falling. You can see how I'm using the pier to help support the building. Let me know if you need more info or have trouble with the link below:

http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/PR...59000571976982

Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 06-03-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 PM
batema (Mark)

Hi Peter,
Congrats on your beautiful 180. I have a W/O Flt110 and have had it since 2008. I am keen to upgrade and everything I have read (lots and lots) about the 140 puts it up there with the best of the best and if not it is only very minor differences between the tec and AP refractors and TAkahashi 150. i love your images and wonder your thoughts about the Tec 140. I see one on Astromart but that is just and drool everytime I look but I think it is overseas. I still have to work out the right time to talk to my wife about my plans but with a broken leg last year and currently we are dealing with a medical issue with our 10 yr old so not good timing. Have you had it for long and could i go wrong getting one?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM
batema (Mark)

Sorry Peter. I have just realised I have asked you this question recently. Too much on my mind at the moment. Thank you.

Mark