Old 09-11-2020, 09:26 AM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Guide Scope

Hi,

Just got my Skywatcher 10" Newt and the AZ EQ6 Pro mount, very excited. Now I need some recommendations for guide scope. I was looking at either setup listed below or is there a different better setup keeping in mind I need to keep the weight down and will be using a DSLR for imaging.

A. Orion Mini 50mm guide scope with Helical Focuser and either the ZWO 120mm colour guide camera or ZWO 120mm mini Mono camera?

B. Orion thin off axis guider with ZWO 120mm mini Mono guide camera and was told I also need the T-Thread Spacer Ring Set?

Colour or Mono guide camera? If I get colour, can I also use it for imaging? Or camera not good enough?

Also do I still need the Spacer Rings for setup A? Is the WiFi adapter a good investment for this mount and benefits?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rod
Old 09-11-2020, 12:35 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rod
I originally used a 50mm guide scope with my 6” f6 for a while but when I jumped up to the 8” f5 newt 2 years ago I bought an Orion 60mm guide scope with helical focuser. Has a good focal length of 240mm ( old 50mm was only 162mm ) nice wide field using the ZWOASI120MM - S USB3 guide camera , and so easy to focus
No issue at all finding a good guide star with PHD2
Your 10” f5 would have a focal length of 1200mm to 1250mm so the Orion 60mm would work well
OAG is an option but a different ball game , maybe start with the guide scope for a year or so and progress to OAG if you see the need to ??
Cheers
Martin