Old 07-02-2021, 09:29 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Observing the SN1987A SNR.

After seeing a thread over on CN regarding amateur observations of SN1987A, and with a predicted clear sky last night ( clear, but humidity was hovering in the high 90's), I decided to give it a go, and see if I can spot it through my 18 inch scope. Made a couple of finder charts at different scales and then set up around 9pm ( it was still raining an hour previous). I let the scope acclimatise for a half hour with fans running before starting the observation. Locating the area and the actual location of the SN remnant was easier than expected, and using a 12mm WF eyepiece was able to identify the location within minutes. Seeing was okay up to 250x, but pushing the mag to 550x didn't make seeing it any easier, so backed off to 350x.
The SNR is flanked by two stars and at the magnification I was using, I could only make out an elongated smudge of light and with averted vision, a starlike point source on one end of the smudge. There is a roughly V shaped collection of stars near the SNR ( slightly nebulous in appearance) and slightly brighter, which could be mistaken for it. I'll try again with this one, hopefully in better conditions. I'll post the finder charts later when I get a chance.
Thanks for reading.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:11 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Charts added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SN1987A CHART 1.jpg)
202.0 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (SN1987A CHART 2.jpg)
105.5 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (SN1987A CHART 3.jpg)
161.1 KB71 views

Last edited by GUS.K; 07-02-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:45 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Gus & All,

Well done you!

I observed this SNR about 15 years ago -- more correctly a friend tracked it down using some similar-looking images to yours with his 20" f/5 at about x450 at the Mudgee Star Party. It took him about 15 minutes to be absolutely certain he had the exact spot.
Then asked me to take a look at both the pics and the eyepiece view and I can confirm your observation that it is very faint and for all practical purposes stellar.

Well done!

Best,

L.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:32 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Using similar charts as you,I consider I have observed it with my 16"from my dark sky site,here in the Sunshine Coast Region on a night of excellent seeing.
Wes (Zubanell) using his 20" SDM uprated dob and other users of large SDM telescopes at a gathering of said group,had a positive observation of it within the last year.
Will give it another go in the near future.
Well done on your observation.
Cheers
Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks Les and Ron. Les, I did read your observation notes to get an idea on what to expect, as there is little detailed amateur observations or any finder charts available.
Ron, I did read Alan Wade's observation report from the SDM event as well, but he only described observations with his 32 inch. Looking forward to your observing report when you try for it again.
Also, does anyone know the magnitude of the SNR and the two stars flanking it.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
Thanks Les and Ron. Les, I did read your observation notes to get an idea on what to expect, as there is little detailed amateur observations or any finder charts available.
Ron, I did read Alan Wade's observation report from the SDM event as well, but he only described observations with his 32 inch. Looking forward to your observing report when you try for it again.
Also, does anyone know the magnitude of the SNR and the two stars flanking it.
Welcome to an exclusively small but growing club Gus. Yes, with the prompting from AstroRon and a prepinted maps from Ron's PDF's which were similar to yours , I had the opportunity to track this elusively small denizen down whilst attending the First SDM Star party Near Coonabarabran .Bortle skies helped considerably with the Siding Springs Dome distantly seen in the day time.Myself the Mike Lockwood found it using Alan Wades 32" monster Dob. The Honeycombe Nebula another SuperNova remnant was difficult also but once identified was the last way point to Sn1987A. I then when and did the same through my 20" f5 SDM pimped "Zamar". Cheers and laughter was found emanating from my mouth....uncontrollably .I was pumped to say the least!
I also found that there is a limit to what magnification one can apply and settled on a similar spec to yourself.
Now off to view the Crab Nebula Pulsar
Old 11-02-2021, 06:45 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks Wes, I'll definitely try again on this one, conditions aren't great at the moment, not sure if I'll get a chance this new moon.
Old 13-02-2021, 10:30 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Gave it another go thursday night in slightly better seeing. Best magnification was 457x. I was able to up it to 685x and the starlike point source was visible constantly with averted vision and a majority of the time directly but the nebulous nature of the SNR was still very faint but visible directly. The starlike point source was, I'm guessing, the star flanking the SNR on the western side.

Last edited by GUS.K; 13-02-2021 at 11:32 AM.