Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Windows 10

I can see a lot of members here are using Windows 10 when astroimaging and guiding, so I can assume all is well and its safe to switch over from Windows 7? Are there any compatibility issues I need to know regarding Ascom and eqmod if I do make the switch?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I use both win7 and win10. no problem with ascom, gemini, nebulosity, phd, etc... all drivers for cameras, mount, usb hub. don't know about eqmod.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul
I have been using Windows 10 home for nearly a year now on my dedicated Astro Laptop which never gets connected to the internet ( I only connect on line to download new software which is rare ) files are transferred / copied only by USB stick
I run EQMOD with StellariumScope and Stellarium for telescope control of both my HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts (Goto and tracking )
I run BYEOS for frame, focus and capture
And finally PHD2 for guiding
The best way to connect your mount for EQMOD ( Synta mounts only ) and PHD2 is via a USB2 EQdirect cable - USB2EQ5 ( recommended by EQMOD and PHD2 )
The Shoestring Astronomy site has a list of drivers for the FTDI chip which need to be downloaded for the EQ direct cable for use with Windows 10
My set up operating on Windows 10 has been working flawlessly for nearly a year
Cheers
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Zero problems with win 10 and eqmod etc.

My only tip is to set your network connection to 'metered' and manually and regularly run your updates. MS has decided (and as an IT pro I agree) that most users are too complacent about security/update patching, and will do it for you whether you like it or not. They cleverly wait until the computer is sitting idle then do the updates. Unfortunately for Astronomers, long imaging runs look identical to the 'doing nothing' profile

By setting the connection to metered, your updates will be deferred for a few weeks and shouldn't interrupt you.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Many thanks to all for your feed back, puts my mind at ease, bought the PC off ebay originally, i5 4 Gen with 8gb ram and preloaded with Windows 10 on a 500gb hd, so I swapped hard drives and loaded Windows 7, still have Windows nice and safe ready for use.

Many thanks again.

Paul
Old 03-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

why would you be concerned you can always roll back to 7 if you don't like 10 ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3dTF1dEFQ

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3074...0-upgrade.html
Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 PM
astro744

Windows 7 is officially retired with no further security updates from Microsoft early next year. No problem if you have a standalone setup not connected to the web otherwise you would be advised to upgrade to 10.

When Windiws 10 was first offered for free I tried it and liked it until I installed my HP colour MFP which worked fine except for the scan function (poor quality scans from Windows and inability to scan to PC from the MFP via buttons on the MFP). I had a similar problem getting my Plustek slide scanner to work although I did eventually fool 10 somehow. Acrobat X too would not install.

Anyway I went back to 7 Pro as I think it is one of the best Windows versions ever produced. When I found it would be no longer supported next year I tried 10 again but this time as an upgrade and not a clean install, something which I always was a against always favouring a clean install. To my surprise everything that worked under 7 works just as well under 10 including my MFP and slide scanner as well as Acrobat X.

I have been using Windows 10 Pro for a few months now and it works fine and I have had no issues with it. I don't have any Astro cameras connected to this platform so cannot comment on that.

When you do an upgrade your Windows 7 installation is saved for a short while and you do have the option to rollback but there is a time limit, I think 30 days. If you like 10 you can delete the 7 files to save disk space before the 30 days are up but then if you want to go back you need to do a clean install of 7.

If your computer is to be connected to the Internet then I recommend you make the switch to 10 otherwise you will not get any security updates. Install as an upgrade from within Windows and not as a clean install. This way you will not have to look for and load any driver later for any devices you have. Just follow the instructions during the install.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:37 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

With one of the more recent updates you can set "Active hours" and it supposedly wont automatically reboot during that time. You can set up to an 18 hour window for the active hours, so my imaging rig has active hours set up starting at about 4 PM and running through to 10 AM. I have not seen it auto reboot since I did that, it has though given the "Update and shut down" option a number of times.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Eacert (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeb61 View Post
I can assume all is well and its safe to switch over from Windows 7?
Many thanks in advance.
Paul
I don't think so that,once you fail the computer can be a trouble for you.
Old 18-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Spock (Michael)

Jumping off learning cliff

I’m trying to start searching for the right PC (and video card, etc) to write a C++ program to control EQ8 mount via ASCOM, but I’ve yet to learn existing controllers; only the hand controller. I’ve written several Windows programs and loved astrophysics, but am an observational beginner.
Also I’ve only observed with eyepieces, so astrophotography will be a nice extra learning cliff. For now I’d like more insight in deciding on a Win10 PC, which I’ve been able to avoid owning for decades! I’m yet to learn Astro Lab etc.
Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 18-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Startrek (Martin)

For astrophotography, EQMOD works fine on windows 10 with both my HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts. I use Stellarium for my planetarium via StellariumScope as the interface with control via the keyboard and no issues with Goto and tracking after nearly a year. Very accurate system to find objects ready for frame , focus and capture with any capture software
If you look on the EQMOD site the EQ8 mount is listed and compatible
Main issues with EQMOD connectivity is mostly drivers and dodgy cables
I love my AP system it’s works flawlessly
My laptop is a beast though , an Omen 15.6” i7 32GB ram 1TB etc..I use to do everything in AP
Don’t know if the above helps you ??
Old 23-06-2019, 01:08 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Well I made the switch and its Win10, the only issues I ended up having was connection issues with the mount using the Prolific driver but thanks to Martin, this cable has been ditched and I am now using the Shoestring cable and all is good!
Many thanks to one and all for your messages, it certainly helped.
Old 23-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Glad your connected now
The EQ direct method is the best way to connect ( recommended by the EQMOD Project )
Cheers