Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Brisbaneskys (Robin)

RC8 Tak/Laser M90mm Adaptor for collimating GSO 8"

Hi Guys,

I come accross this adapter for my RC8 telescope. It allows for direct connection to the telescope as well as the Takahashi collimating telescope for more precise collimating of the RC8.

I picked it up from the site: https://www.rafcamera.com/adapter-m90x1f-to-m36-4x1f.

I have seen something similar but not for the 8". I,m sure this would also work on a 6" as it also has a 90mm thread, but can't be to sure about that.

Since I have used it I have been getting top collimation where as before it was always touch and go and I would contribute this to the fact I'm not trying to collimate through the focuser.

You can also attached any 48mm threaded adapter to it as well I attached a laser to double check the alignment.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Image 004.jpg)
126.7 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (RC8 Taka 1abcd.jpg)
185.5 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (RC8 laser 1abcd.jpg)
198.1 KB10 views
Old 19-03-2019, 05:16 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Gday Robin
That is a good find.

Jeremy
Old 19-03-2019, 07:22 PM
glend (Glen)

But ultimately you do have to attach the extension tubes and the focuser, which have long proved the problem with these budget RCs. I guess there is some advantage if you can collimate the mirrors before you attach the weak bits (isn't that what they claim to do at the factory), and hopefully not touch the mirrors again.
Old 19-03-2019, 11:07 PM
DJT (David)

A good find indeed. Certainly cheaper than a precise parts adapter. If you are getting good results your focuser must be well aligned already I would imagine.

Are you imaging with the scope?
Old 20-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Brisbaneskys (Robin)

Glend (Glen),
That's what I would expect correct collimation is done in the factory with out the focuser.

The focuser or Image train would normally be where the problem is, this is why a collimating ring would be used.

So the Image train would need to be collimated as a separate unit then double checked once attached to the scope.

If your RC8 imaging results are as expected then I would not even attempt to collimate the scope it's not as easy as just turning a few collimating screws it is more involved then that.
Old 20-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Brisbaneskys (Robin)

Hi DJT (David),

I bought the scope second hand and it come with a Moonlit focuser. The focuser is giving me a few drama's, with alignment, as it appears the draw tube is offset to one side so even the collimating ring that is supplied can not resolve the alignment problem.

I personally feel that the focuser had some problems when it was manufactured. I know what the problem is, It's just that I can't fix it easily.

Also that scope had been tampered with, This is why I was hunting for the adapter to correct the collimation of the scope.

My equipment is on my 120Esprit at the moment so I haven't had a chance to image with it lately.

But I thought the Adapter was a good find as it is a requirement for collimating the RC8.