Old 13-06-2012, 11:14 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Camera Advice please ..

Looking at buying a Canon DSLR body secondhand for DSO photography. I know I should be looking at dedicated gear but $$$ is not there.
My Konica Minolta 7D is doing an excellent job but there is no support for liveview or similar and it's making focus an issue as well as processing.

There was a list about a year ago with all the Canon models listed ranking in usability for astro purposes starting with I think the Rebel as it was called in the USA. I have been unable to find the list again dangit.
Does anyone know where it might be found again and has anyone recommendations within the older Canon models as which is most suitable ?

This is just so against my grain buying Canon, I've been a Nikon and KM man for yonks but sometimes you have to go with the flow...

I'm going to have to sell some other junk to fund this ...
Old 13-06-2012, 11:40 AM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

It Wasn't this, was it?
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/T3review/T3review.html

-edit-
Wow, im not even sure how i managed to write that attempt at english. Fixed

Last edited by whzzz28; 13-06-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 13-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Poita (Peter)

What is your budget limit?
Old 13-06-2012, 01:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nathan, no, but a useful start. Thanks.

Peter, budget ? You mean I get to use money ?? Depends what I find to some extent. Prefer around $200-$300 if I can. I've seen 'body only' deals on TradeMe for similar prices but model dependent obviously. I just once had a good list of about 20-30 different models which compared all the relevant astro 'features' of them all but now I can't remember which ones were best bang for buck. It wasn't necessarily the newer ones either. From memory the 450D and 20D were good options but would like to check out suitabilty especially the LiveView capability.

I'm on the long term upgrade camera path obviously so this is a step onwards to serious hardware.
Old 13-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

40D, at a bare minimum, if you want Live View.

H
Old 13-06-2012, 07:06 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

The 1100D rules bang for buck for ap work, but terrestrial they blow bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...igital_cameras

20D digi 2 processor 8.2mp APS-C (22.5 × 15.0) CMOS
450D digi 3 processor 12.2mp APS-C (22.2 × 14.8) CMOS
1100D digi 4 processor 12.1mp APS-C (22.2 × 14.8) CMOS

garys T3 review sums it all up if you can't get an 1100D on your budget then a 450D would be sweet as well. I got my last one at harvey normans for $398 with the basic 18-55 non is lens, so see if you can stretch your budget. Next up would be the 550D though i doubt your going to get a body less then $500, currently $550 at teds body only. The 1000D isnt bad though has higher noise levels but would be an option with your budget. The 20D doesnt support live view as far i know and also why the hell you would buy one over a 450D is beyond me, unless its for terrestrial work.
Do your home work anyhow and read the reviews for iso noise levels, also remember older models camera in the mid to low end have very short shutter life spans, so check before you buy
Old 13-06-2012, 08:11 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
The 1100D rules bang for buck for ap work, but terrestrial they blow bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...igital_cameras

20D digi 2 processor 8.2mp APS-C (22.5 × 15.0) CMOS
450D digi 3 processor 12.2mp APS-C (22.2 × 14.8) CMOS
1100D digi 4 processor 12.1mp APS-C (22.2 × 14.8) CMOS

garys T3 review sums it all up
Have to agree with this, but i guess i am a little biased, since the 1100d is what i use. I grabbed mine from a grey importer (this is before HN had them going for under $400) and had it delivered for under $400 (about $350).
I then modded it myself and have been very happy with it!
My father has a Canon 7d. I borrowed it for a night and was horrified at the results compared to my 1100d. The 7d was just so noisy, had many bright pixels and the LPF was very obvious (lack of Ha)

Here is an example of what i have gotten off my 1100d (modded):
http://core-au.net/astro/web/item/m8/index.html

It's not a bad little camera, but lacks on a lot of features, most of which arn't used for astrophotography, but for normal photography you may find it a bit lacking.
Old 13-06-2012, 08:49 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
The 20D doesnt support live view as far i know
Nup. But the 20Da does.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:38 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'll stick with my KM 7D for terrestial pix, this is purely for Astro. Wouldn't want to be seen at a Motorsports event holding a Canon

So no lenses needed at all, it will go into the focusser and if I can figure it out I'll do the CMOS Sensor mod and pull the IR filter off. 450D sounds the best option, I'll start checking prices.

Might be able to pick up a cheap old Canon Prime lens for widefeild to play with or if it comes with something then so be it.

Thanks all for your advice.
Better start selling some junk .....
Old 14-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

What's wrong with Canon?

H
Old 14-06-2012, 06:33 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nuffin, I'm just a KM man, thats all.
Canon make some damn good glass, some of the best in fact but for spme reason I've never been a fan of their controls and stuff.

I bought a KM 7000i way back after damaging my eye. First autofocussing camera (Film) that really worked for me ( and I was doing weddings ). It got stolen and I had to replace it with a Nikon as it was no longer available. That got stolen ( thieves returned 6 weeks later !! ) and got replaced again, another Nikon film. I held off on digital because the resolution was not there till I saw the KM 7D and it just fell into my hand and fitted like a glove. Controls were all there in the right places and at the time I was getting into motorsports photog, Rally mainly. It was a stunning piece of engineering and the degree of control exceeded anything at the time.
Sony bought KM out later and have some nice stuff around but could not justify spending more. In fact I use my wee pocket Fujifilm more often these days.
But for Astro the support is not there and Canon seems the best bet to take another step up the ladder so find the best option in the range and just go for it.
Horses for courses as they say. Could happily gone NIkon but Canon seem to have the lead in this area. Liveview and camera control are the biggies.

If you're commenting about the ' Wouldn't want to be seen at a Motorsports event holding a Canon " line it was because at events most photogs had either Canon or Nikon, sometimes Pentax gear and I was running the KM. A bit unusual and you get a reputation based on your gear and style so if 'I' had ever turned up with Canon (or Nikon, Pentax etc ) it would be the kickoff for some friendly rib sticking from my 'colleagues'. Just the usual sort of fun between competitive guys stuff. Such is life.

Been checking NZ second hand prices. They are quite a bit dearer than Aus prices by about 50%. 450D for $600 -$800 depending on lenses supplied but some bodies are going somewhat cheaper. No hurry