Old 22-08-2009, 02:15 PM
beren

Nikonian nirvana

Picked up a Nikon D700 yesterday all this wild weather where having westway fast tracked the decision to upgrade from my old trusty D70 with not much scope time happening . Fine looking camera and feels great in the hand, the D70 feels almost like a toy in comparison. Heaps of features and a lengthy manual to get through Looking forward to testing it with low light work and will try and hook it up for some DSO imaging. To wintery for more interesting shots but here's some pics of the cam.......hooray for Nikon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Nikonian1 [800x600].jpg)
69.3 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (Nikonian2 [800x600].jpg)
83.5 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Nikonian3 [800x600].jpg)
82.0 KB29 views
Old 22-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Nice gear Stuart – I look forward to some pics. The D700 certainly looks a lot “beefier” than the D70.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 22-08-2009, 05:55 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Nice gear, that D700 sure is a nice camera, but the D3 is even better. It's on my want list, but I'm sitting on the fence at the moment to see what Canon does.

Dave
Old 23-08-2009, 01:08 PM
beren

Thanks Dennis/Dave. Dave enjoyed going through your site

Yes the D3 would be very nice I was fortunate to see a link on IIS about Quality Camera sales whom I brought the camera from. Got the best price for a non grey I could find and they are based in Perth, ordered online and delivered an hour later. {Camera solutions in Perth city also had a good price}

Hoping to visit the Perth Zoo Monday, some of the enclosures there have challenging lighting scenarios so be keen to see how the camera performs
Old 23-08-2009, 05:09 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I've heard good things about Perth Zoo, never been to Perth, not a bad idea for a holiday methinks. I've bought from quality camera before (albeit small stuff) - excellent service, and prices. Items well packed and delivered fast. Pleasure to deal with. And, as you mentioned, non grey market too. For lenses it doesn't really matter (at least with Canon), as they get a world wide warranty, but for bodies, non grey is important.

Thanks for the kind words on my site - anything in particular tickle your fancy? I want to do more birding and motorsport, but until I get a car, it's a no-no. I'm that angry with Canon that I've hardly been touching my Mark IIn, and I've lost a lot of the enjoyment in photography. Have just joined the Ipswich photography club though, and a mate from work is getting me (slowly) back into the hobby.

That D700 is a cracking camera, especially for the price. I'd really like a D3, it's such a nice camera to use.

Dave
Old 23-08-2009, 06:06 PM
beren

Gday Dave enjoyed going through your portfolio of images, in particular your Macro work and information on it Just starting to get more interested in macro and portraits, recently brought a nikkor 60mm micro to start with {tossing up whether to get either a nikkor 132mm or 200mm nikkor in the future }great to come across some dedicated info and images.

Perth Zoo is a great place, might be on the smaller scale when compared on the world stage but plenty to see. I have annual pass so I can pop in any time, usally during the weekdays it's pretty relaxing when shooting but gets hectic on weekends/school holidays.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:46 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Brissie doesn't have a real zoo I miss Taronga.

Macro takes a lot of practice - and I mean a LOT of practice. I don't do much in the way of portraits, although I'd love a studio setup so I can play more with lighting. Sadly, no room on the house (and no willing models). Oh well...

Dave