Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Ngc5128

Hi Guys,
It has been a while since I posted last. Here are two shots of NGC 5128, the large one taken last year, with two hours exposure done with a Meade 12" F8 SCT. The second a a few nights ago, with the 150mm Esprit Refractor, total exposure of 6 Hours over two nights. The interesting thing about the last one is that it shows the full extent of this galaxy, and not just the central core which most people capture. Both images processed in Pixinsight.

Cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 5128 (CentaurusA Galaxy) 21052017 .jpg)
177.3 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (NGC 5128 (CentaurusA Galaxy) 09032018 10032018 3 .jpg)
211.8 KB69 views
Old 21-03-2018, 08:37 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Forgot to mention, these shots where done in Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs, where the light pollution is getting bad.
Old 21-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

The detail in the galaxy in the first one is better but as you say, the second shows the outer extent of the galaxy better
Old 21-03-2018, 10:48 PM
willik (Willik)

Good detail peter well done
Martin
Old 22-03-2018, 12:30 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The detail in the galaxy in the first one is better but as you say, the second shows the outer extent of the galaxy better
Hi Colin,
When I was taking the pictures I was a disappointed in the size in the refractor image, I new that it was 25.7' x 20', I was expecting something a lot bigger. It wasn't until I stacked the images and cleaned up the result with pixinsight, that I saw where the rest of the Galaxy was. When I get a chance I will try and clean up the center of the galaxy, without loosing the outer boundaries. It really surprised me to get those boundaries, given the degree of light pollution here. A very pleasant surprise.

Cheers
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
Good detail peter well done
Martin
Hi Martin
Thanks for your comments. Each year I get a little better at this game. I read in one of my Astrophotography books "If your happy with your Astrophotography images, that's really all that matters" how true. I'm fast heading towards 70, I like my images, but there is always room for improvement. I will keep at it until either my eyes fail, or something else fails on the old machine.

Cheers
Peter