Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 03-05-2019, 03:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

What focal Length ............

I've been mostly a Refractor user .... but have recently been encouraged to keep my Intes MK-65 ... ( 6' inch f/10 MAK )

Which are the best fl eyepieces for this type off Scope... only 1.25 EP's

Over to you Mental ... & Wavy ....

Col....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
168.6 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (5.jpg)
168.7 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (8.jpg)
181.4 KB41 views
Old 03-05-2019, 04:37 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

You sell my Mak, I breaka your knee caps Pop. KEEP IT! I wish I had!

It seemed to love the Parks IMHO.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Wavytone

Ah.. rather than selling it, loan it out for a while, with an unconditional option to take it back ��

As for eyepieces ... a set spanning 5... 25mm. For your scope I’d expect it has a sweet spot around 7-10mm where you will probably end up wanting all of 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11 mm then one around 15-18mm and one at 24-25mm.

Last edited by Wavytone; 03-05-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Ah.. rather than selling it, loan it out for a while, with an unconditional option to take it back ��

As for eyepieces ... a set spanning 5... 25mm. For your scope I’d expect it has a sweet spot around 7-10mm where you will probably end up wanting all of 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11 mm then one around 15-18mm and one at 24-25mm.

Thanks Nick ....
Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Best is dependant on your needs and only you can say what that is, anything surely between 3mm and 25mm are usable ?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I'm no expert but, I own an 8" F10 SCT which, whilst different is at least of similar design.. if not quality...

My max TFOV is 1.3 degrees, limited by the centre baffle tube & that is with a 2" diagonal fitted... I can only obtain this with a 38mm, 70* 2 inch EP

My max TFOV with a 1.25" EP using a 1.25" visual back is 0.88* with a 40mm 44* 1.25" plossl

I generally base my choices on targets & having a good spread of FL to cover magnifications... I also use a TV Powermate 2.5x to reduce the number of EP's needed.

I see you already have a good spread of ortho style listed in your signature; I looks like you have a reasonable spread of FLs there but, I do also use a 12mm, 9mm & on an exceptional night a 6mm.. I have KK Fujiyama's & I use them exclusively for planetary work.

For widefield.. I have Meade S5000 UWA's. In 1.25" I have 14mm, 8.8mm & 6.7mm.. I find these super imersive (if that makes sense) when viewing larger nebula & pretty damn good on the dimmer stuff. These have an 82* FOV.. they are a little hard to get these days as they don't make them anymore... I have found a source in the US with some FL. I understand there is an 18mm 1.25 in the series but, I don't own one..

I'm told ( I've never tried them) that the Explore Scientific 82* series are also good but, again, you will be limited by field stop/baffle tube diameter..

I have a spread sheet I lifted from elsewhere that allows you to put in telescope data & EP data to look at TFOV, magnification, etc... I found & still find it useful when considering EP purchases..

In general, I find my most used EPs are probably my 12 & 9 ortho's for planetary & of my meade UWA's in the 1.25" probably the 8.8mm. I find the 14mm meade UWA to be not as good as the others in the stable..

I've recently acquired a Vixen 13mm LVW which I'm told will be exceptional... I can't tell yet... it hasn't stopped raining here for nearly a month...

I don't know if any of this helps but... probably all the expertise & experience I have to offer..

If you pm me your email I would be happy to send you a copy of the spreadsheet if you think you might find it useful..

Cheers
Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Col, I like using the Pentax XF with my big(ish) SCT. Small, light and sharp.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Mr. Nagler once wrote an article on eyepiece selection for any telescope, which I had a hard time disagreeing with.

He recommended eyepieces that give
a.... between a 1mm and 0.5mm exit pupil for high power (i.e between 10mm and 5mm for your Mak) and
b.....one that gives a 2mm exit pupil (i.e.20mm for your Mak, best for fainter DSOs) and
c.....one that gives a 4mm exit pupil (i.e. 40mm, to best frame larger DSOs)

But as the field of view in a 40mm 1.25" eyepiece is too narrow, I go for a 32mm or 35mm eyepiece for roughly the same field of view at high power, though there may be some instance - like when mucking around with nebula filters - you may want the brighter image in a 40mm eyepiece.

Also, I think his recommendations are meant for a dark site. In my more light polluted backyard, I find a 1.9mm to 1.8mm exit pupil somewhat more pleasing than his recommended 2mm exit pupil.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 04-05-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Thanks Chaps for all the recommendations .... got some ' trouble shooting ' to do here.

And here I was thinking of ' slowly exiting ' this Hobby .... in it for a little while yet ... !!

Col....