Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 16-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

A Question About Meade 30mm UWA - Saxon 30mm SWA

After having a Meade Series 5000 6.7mm UWA in my collection for some time now & liking it very much, when it finally came to deciding to upgrade my wideview eyepiece selection, I decided I would hunt down more of these.

I am aware they are not produced anymore but, was able to track down a new 20mm 2", s/h 14mm 1.25" & a new 8.8mm 1.25".

I would like to try & find a 30mm 2" version but, they haven't been producing them for quite a long time now so, finding them new is practically impossible & finding one secondhand hasn't seemed any easier.

What I have found is a Saxon 30mm SWA 82 degree eyepiece that at least cosmetically seems well, pretty much identical (Pictures below of the two versions - you will at least see the cosmetic resemblance).

Saxon describes it's eyepiece as: 'Fully-multicoated, 8 element design with blackened lens edges, Saxon 30mm 2" (82 degree) SWA Eyepiece offers improved clarity, contrast and resolution'

I haven't really been able to find the Meade description of it's 30mm 2" eyepiece so, it's hard to compare if they are in fact one & the same.

Does anyone know?
Has anyone used the Saxon 30mm 2" SWA?

Any assistance or advice on this question will be gratefully accepted... of course, if someone has a second hand Meade Series 5000 UWA they'd like to part with, then please let me know.

Thankyou in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Meade 30mm.jpg)
4.5 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (Saxon.jpg)
3.9 KB12 views

Last edited by Outcast; 17-10-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 17-10-2018, 08:40 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Looks like the same thing to me. Explore Scientific 30 82 is the same Optics as the Meade. I have had the ES 30 82 and Nagler 31.... not much difference.

This thread might be of some interest http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=169449

The Saxon looks not bad at that price, as long as you can return it if it’s a dud.

I’d wait for a used ES 30 82 to turn up or place a wanted ad, instead of buying the Meade/Saxon.

Matt
Old 17-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Thanks Matt,

I might enquire about the 'dude return policy.

& also keep an eye out for the ES, I have to say the Meade 20mm is insanely large & heavy... reminiscent of the holy handgrenade of Antioch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Looks like the same thing to me. Explore Scientific 30 82 is the same Optics as the Meade. I have had the ES 30 82 and Nagler 31.... not much difference.

This thread might be of some interest http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=169449

The Saxon looks not bad at that price, as long as you can return it if it’s a dud.

I’d wait for a used ES 30 82 to turn up or place a wanted ad, instead of buying the Meade/Saxon.

Matt
Old 18-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Derek Klepp

Carlton I have those Meade eyepieces and the bigger mag pieces suc as the 6.7 are superb. the 24 and 30 are just to big. I also have a Vixen 42 mm which is by far the best wide angle eyepiece I have especially for colour rendition in stars.Those bigger Meade’s are no good if you have a l0-16” dob as they are just to cumbersome.Over the years I have discovered that there is no one best set of eyepieces and that a combination of various brands ends up being used depending on the target.Meade also used to have a 56mm plossl which is a great eyepiece if you can get hold of one.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek
Old 18-10-2018, 05:43 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Alternatives are ES 34 68 degree or better yet a used Panoptic 35.

Panoptics are my final choice in the wide field realm....tried and don’t like 82’s and 100 degree offerings.

ES 68’s are a close second....quite close.
Old 18-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Hi Derek,

I've had the 6.7mm version for about 5 years now & agree it is indeed superb which, is why i wanted more of them. I was rather shocked when i received the 20mm, its frigging huge!! Fortunately it will be going into the back of an SCT once i receive my 2" diagonal fm Bintel. Ill see how it goes i guess.

Thanks for your advice, it all helps in making informed choices.

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Carlton I have those Meade eyepieces and the bigger mag pieces suc as the 6.7 are superb. the 24 and 30 are just to big. I also have a Vixen 42 mm which is by far the best wide angle eyepiece I have especially for colour rendition in stars.Those bigger Meade’s are no good if you have a l0-16” dob as they are just to cumbersome.Over the years I have discovered that there is no one best set of eyepieces and that a combination of various brands ends up being used depending on the target.Meade also used to have a 56mm plossl which is a great eyepiece if you can get hold of one.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek
Old 18-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Thanks Matt,

I will be keeping a close eye on the classifieds

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Alternatives are ES 34 68 degree or better yet a used Panoptic 35.

Panoptics are my final choice in the wide field realm....tried and don’t like 82’s and 100 degree offerings.

ES 68’s are a close second....quite close.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:22 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Carlton,

For the last 20 years, the only eyepieces in my case have been Televue. I think they are simply superb -- until recently, when I purchased an Explore Scientific 30mm/82. This eyepiece is essentially the same as the 30mm Meade Series 5000 that are now practically unobtainable.

To be honest, I anticipated it might well be a good, even very good performer after many nights now, I'd say it is a superb eyepiece with excellent colour correction, excellent coatings and performance at the edge of field is on-par with the 31mm T5. My purchase was 2nd hand, on this forum and the price was about 30% that of a new 31mm T5 and 50% that of a 2nd hand 31mm T5.
If you can find one, I'd certainly recommend you seriously consider it.
The one super wow was the box it came in -- a work of art but easily the biggest ep box I've ever seen. See image with $1- coin for scale.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (38805224_10217380628254557_8813549732098998272_n.jpg)
48.0 KB13 views
Old 21-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

I can relate to 'huge' eyepiece box.....

Below is the one the Meade 20mm came in... 10 cent piece for reference.

I will keep an eye out for the ES 30mm as well...

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Carlton,

For the last 20 years, the only eyepieces in my case have been Televue. I think they are simply superb -- until recently, when I purchased an Explore Scientific 30mm/82. This eyepiece is essentially the same as the 30mm Meade Series 5000 that are now practically unobtainable.

To be honest, I anticipated it might well be a good, even very good performer after many nights now, I'd say it is a superb eyepiece with excellent colour correction, excellent coatings and performance at the edge of field is on-par with the 31mm T5. My purchase was 2nd hand, on this forum and the price was about 30% that of a new 31mm T5 and 50% that of a 2nd hand 31mm T5.
If you can find one, I'd certainly recommend you seriously consider it.
The one super wow was the box it came in -- a work of art but easily the biggest ep box I've ever seen. See image with $1- coin for scale.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20181021_082545 (002).jpg)
194.1 KB6 views
Click for full-size image (20181021_082502 (002).jpg)
148.5 KB6 views