Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 24-01-2008, 10:49 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

They are really great for un-processed and in colour!

Heres an image I took with the B/W Mintron (ie Gstar) of the same subject through an 80mm f6 guide scope - the exposure is 2.5 seconds and it was a stack of about 200 frames run through deep sky stacker to bring out the detail - dark frames subtracted too. I've included an RGB version - but the whole process took so long to get an ordinary result, that I think I will stick to b/w!!!!

I've dug out the original AVI and included a single raw frame for comparison - it was a pretty grey night (the moon was in 3rd quarter), but came out ok after a bit of processing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (onl6.jpg)
67.8 KB179 views
Click for full-size image (OrionNebLRGB [800x600].jpg)
26.9 KB181 views
Click for full-size image (raworion.jpg)
68.3 KB124 views
Old 24-01-2008, 11:02 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I forgot to mention - the luminosity shots (ie b/w) were taken through an IR blocking filter to make it look more natural - these cameras are very sensitive in the IR which many like, but I don't

I would certainly get one if you haven't already.
Old 24-01-2008, 11:04 PM
coldspace

I still like your images, if I can duplicate anything like yours or the ones I posted I will be very satisfied. The main thing for these types of cameras is visual semi-live use especially in light polluted suburbia. I don't know much about stacking/processing etc but it will be fun learning. The images I have seen through video cameras will never duplicate good CCD or DSLR cameras but I am looking forward to having fun with family/friends in back yard with the vid. system. The guy who sent me these took them the other night with half moon out and no stacking. He only just got his camera and so is still learning to use it but I would be happy with the result.

Matt.
Old 24-01-2008, 11:07 PM
coldspace

Tks for the info-on the IR filter. I will look into getting one. I won't have my camera till March so have plenty of time to see how the guy I know irons out the bugs for me. From looking at your images taken at 2 secs through small scope shows how sensitive these things are. The Mallincam still seems to need a largesh aperature like 8inch up to start to bring out colour from what I have seen on overseas sites. Thats why its so popular with the large dob/ cassergrain guys,I will be using it with 12 inch 200R so should get good results. Hopefully!!

Matt.
Old 25-01-2008, 08:57 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldspace View Post
Hopefully!!
Definitely!!
Old 15-03-2008, 08:23 PM
coldspace

Well guys, you can now view your semi-live images in a sort of 3D experience. Sounds awesome from this review except the camera has to be putting out a colour picture for the 3D device to work.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1760
Leon, you asked once before about image capture using the Mallincam colour, well I know some one who has just started using the Imaging Source converter and is getting fantastic results over the other types out there. These come in two forms, 1 is USB2 which is alot cheaper than the firewire version. He bought the firewire version and is very happy with it, but the USB2 would probally work very well as well. The beauty of these converters is that you can adjust contrast,brightness and colour on the unit which is a must to get the best image on your screen without the hassell of going into the menu options. I will get this firewire version as well.
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/converters/
You can buy them locally from turn key,
http://www.turnkey-solutions.com.au/
I will private message you with this info just in case you miss this.

Matt