ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

My sister in law can see jovian moons. She lives in Hervey Bay.
I was using my 102 sw and she told me which way the moons were oriented. She's over 60
Old 14-07-2015, 12:45 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
My sister in law can see jovian moons. She lives in Hervey Bay.
I was using my 102 sw and she told me which way the moons were oriented. She's over 60
All four?
Old 14-07-2015, 02:20 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
All four?
Not when they are transiting. In that case, she can only see the shadow(s) on Jupiter
Old 14-07-2015, 04:31 PM
maris

Years ago at a private star party I showed Jupiter and its moons. After everyone had a look I mentioned that very sharp eyed people might be able to see the moons directly and invited people to stare. Finally one person piped up and said "Yes I can see them". I asked "what do you see?" and the answer was three moons above and one below just like in the telescope. I didn't have the heart to point that my small refractor was fitted with a diagonal prism.

Last edited by maris; 14-07-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: enhanced recollection
Old 15-07-2015, 02:30 AM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
The ancients also had 100% NIL light pollution save maybe some oil/tar lamps, nor any atmospheric pollution! Of course under those conditions, which NONE of us have ever experienced nor ever will (regardless of how dark a site it is), anything is possible.

Seeing Jovian or Saturnian moons - I HIGHLY doubt it. I have my doubts about Venus phases being visible too, due, more than anything, to Venus' extreme albedo which saturates the receptors in the eye. Try using an artificial star at say 100 yard, with a crescent blackened off - I guarantee you will NOT see any visible "phase" of the artificial star.
Lewis,
The idea of what was once visible greatly intrigues me. The Tolken notion of walking under the Evening Star, just may have been possible. As you said, "anything is possible".
David
Old 15-07-2015, 10:36 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Lewis,
The idea of what was once visible greatly intrigues me. The Tolken notion of walking under the Evening Star, just may have been possible. As you said, "anything is possible".
David
Not sure about that. I think a really good site today, preferably at higher altitude, will still be better than the average ancient observing site. Also I don't think nil atmospheric pollution (for observational purposes) ever existed on this planet except when it didn't have an atmosphere.
Old 15-07-2015, 11:17 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post
Years ago at a private star party I showed Jupiter and its moons. After everyone had a look I mentioned that very sharp eyed people might be able to see the moons directly and invited people to stare. Finally one person piped up and said "Yes I can see them". I asked "what do you see?" and the answer was three moons above and one below just like in the telescope. I didn't have the heart to point that my small refractor was fitted with a diagonal prism.
Hmmmm

There's always one...
Old 16-07-2015, 01:17 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Not sure about that. I think a really good site today, preferably at higher altitude, will still be better than the average ancient observing site. Also I don't think nil atmospheric pollution (for observational purposes) ever existed on this planet except when it didn't have an atmosphere.
The worlds best observing site, Mauna Kea, was forbiden to be climbed by the ancients.
Also, remember that as you climb, the eyes and brain get less oxygen, so your eyesight actually diminishes.
It may have been very slightly better back then, but that's about it.
Old 16-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Kunama

The only time I have seen Venus as a crescent (naked eye) has been when there is a lot of mist in the air but on a clear night I would have no chance.

Jovian moons? not with my eyes !