Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 24-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Paul Haese

Not much to be missed really. We were out until the Bz went north radically and the Kp dropped away to 4. I captured a couple of nice beams but nothing really exciting and no visual sighting of anything. It was strange as As the Tassie website was showing KP at 7-6 for most of the night and a bz of around -14 to -11 until moon set and then it swung north. Just when it really mattered.

The is a CME going to hit about 3 am tomorrow morning and that is from the M6.5 full halo flare on the 22nd. So if you are keen it might fire up around 4-5am. Might venture out myself. Charging batteries now.

Pity I did not get up at 5am on the 23rd. Kicking myself now. Next time.
Old 24-06-2015, 01:07 PM
cspruit

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'm guessing it's impossible to see in the light pollution of Melbourne?
Old 24-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Billi, it just depends on the strength of the event. The height the Kp is up to (for you above 4 1/2 if the Bz is real low, and above 5 with a middling Bz, and the further into the (-) the -Bz is, then the more likely you are to see one.
Often you can photograph one without being able to see it.
Find a few places with a good southerly aspect without tall landscape features. And avoid light between you and it.
Put your camera on a tripod set at about 1600ISO, and 30~60secs at the widest aperture of a wide angle lens, and give it a go.
Strong moon light can wash out a weaker one, while 1/st and 2nd quarter can give you nice foreground nightscape details.
This page has all the info you need to get started, including the meters
http://www.aurora-service.net/aurora-forecast/ - it updates every minute (so on a smartphone you might get a jitter in the screen every minute)
Hope it helps
Trev

Last edited by Regulus; 25-06-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 24-06-2015, 04:18 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

It'd be great if they could forecast the Aurora at least 6 months ahead, then I could book a trip to Tassie and see it a girl can dream! I'll definitely keep an eye on the Aurora Service page though, just in case

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/45
This site is great because it has the 30 minute forecast (as Glen posted previously)
Old 25-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Paul Haese

There was nothing last night Steve. Tuesday morning you would have been in luck.

I am hoping there is another big flare in the this cycle and we get the chance to see it here. We had a chance on Tuesday morning but the forecast was for cloud and rain. It did not say it would clear for five hours from 3am.
Old 27-06-2015, 10:45 AM
louie_the_fly (Stew)
Astronewbie

Today's forecast (27/6) is 5-6kp from UTC 12.00 - 00.00

Maybe at a pinch from down the south coast if it's not cloudy?
Old 27-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Well, it's a beautiful and clear sunny day here in NW Tasmania. Let's hope there is no photo worthy event tonight, so it stays lovely and clear.

Cos if I do this, then I get this . It's a proven weather phenomenon in Tas.

I have been saving a nightscape/aurora location for a big one because I believe;
a) it will be an icon picture, and
b) for a photographer friend from Sydney who visits every 3 months, or so.

She's here now for a week+ and it will be well worth the 40Klm drive to the site if it lights up. But everytime it looked good during a visit then.... I mean, the underside of clouds can be photographically interesting, but only if that's what you're aiming for.
Frustratedly Yours,
Trev
(Did I just invent a new adjective?)
Old 29-06-2015, 02:35 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Is there anywhere that you can sign up to get an email alert if an auroral activity is high?
Old 29-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Not sure about email alerts, but there is a Facebook group called "Aurora Australis Tasmania Alert NOW" which sends out alerts whenever people post to that group upon actually seeing an aurora (I'm not sure, but I assume you need the Facebook app to activate the alerts - I am a member of that group but don't use the Facebook app).

There are also numerous phone apps that can provide SMS-like notifications.