Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 20-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

The one I have is a standard narrow spade connector on the battery but you should ask at Jaycar as they vary in shipments and they will sell you the right connectors and try them on. The pin end, I forget but take your existing power cord in and try them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
Perfect timing, having just picked up an Astro Fi 6 last week.

If I was to buy that battery, what other "bits" do I need to buy, to connect it to my motor. It looks like its a 5.1\2.1 I think (out and inner).

Thanks
Old 20-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

If you can get one of those for $70 that would be great. But this probably a cheapy.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobility...YAAOSwD6Fe5wjr

The gel ones on gumtree are $135 but that is still ok for 24ahr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I’ve been using a couple of 20 Ah gel cell golf buggy batteries for the past ten years.
A good triple charge battery charger and they seem to last forever.

Last edited by Sunfish; 20-07-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 20-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
...also when you have it out there keep it off the ground a wood carry box is a good idea to keep it off the ground.

Is this to insulate it from the cold for better performance?
Old 21-07-2020, 11:11 AM
MountainGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
The one I have is a standard narrow spade connector on the battery but you should ask at Jaycar as they vary in shipments and they will sell you the right connectors and try them on. The pin end, I forget but take your existing power cord in and try them .

That's great. I have one 5k's away .... could be time for a chat.

Thanks
Old 21-07-2020, 03:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Is this to insulate it from the cold for better performance?
Yes. Batteries don't like cold and anything one can do to help is worth the effort in my view. Ask a car battery dealer when they sell the most batteries and I bet the answer will be the start of winter..the cold pushes a failing battery over the edge .I have lived for years with deep cycle batteries and solar power, no grid power, and this is one of the things I try and take care of...and dont run them down. Folk make the mistake of not realising that us use only a percentage of their rating for a start ..I try too not drop below 12 volts ..or if I think I will use 20 amps max I look for a 100 amp or higher battery..I needed 100 for the observatory but went for 120..I need 300 for the van but went 440..just rules of thumb but what you don't want is an approach that has you running a battery until it is flat ..best to leave it healthy as possible while it waits for a recharge... I have never put a hot water bottle in the battery box but the temperatures here of late has me thinking may be a good time to start...I don't have a box for what was to be my observatory battery but it sits on some thick ply which sits on some foam..it was to be housed in a covered utility box but I have not got to making that yet as my plans have had many set backs this year and new unexpected projects added..nevertheless I did my best by having that battery in the caravan annex and reasonably insulated from the ground. My 440 for the van, three batteries each have a plastic box and under a bench..gel for safety.
Alex
Old 21-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks Alex. Interesting reading. Makes me think of a time when I was in the Himalayas in a little hut which had so many holes I could see the snow outside. It was minus 15, and even my new torch batteries were flat, but if I warmed them up in my hands they would work a little longer. I guess it's all just chemical reactions, I guess.

I imagine in a box the heat the battery generates as it is used, in turn makes it more usable, by keeping temps higher.

Cheers

Markus
Old 14-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Last weekend we were camping in the bush and I used the gear for the first time away from home.
My car has a dual battery setup with a 105Ah AGM battery.
No problem using the HEQ5Pro GOTO with it.
Old 19-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Spleenus (Darren)

I've decided to go ahead with one of these from Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/battery-bo...plugs/p/HB8504

I opted for the version with more anderson plugs so that we have the option to use it also when camping on a site with no power, but I also had very little inclination to build myself a box. This is much more neatly presented for those with limited DIY skills IMHO