Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2018, 11:37 AM
spiezzy

GSO 8" F4 Imaging Newt from Bintel

hi to all hope everyone is well
I am just wondering if anyone has got one of these OTAs I have one going under the tree for Xmas and was going to use my Canon D450 Modded camera for imaging I have a G11 mount in the Obs sitting there doing nothing and want to get back into AP .
The ops is a SkyShed dome and in the past had rather large scopes in there and wanted something a little smaller to make it more comfortable to move about .
I also have the Baader MPIII coma corrector as I would imaginer this will have a decent amount of coma .
will the DSLR come to focus on these without extensions ? any info would be or images taken with this type of OTA would be greatly appreciated
cheers Pete .
Old 16-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Hi Pete,

You shouldn't need any extensions for get focus. I had a 5 inch F/5 and only needed an extension if I wanted to do visual, I had a 50mm for that. I was using a MPCC 3 as well with it and had to track out 14mm for focus.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Karl
Old 16-12-2018, 03:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

From the little I have taken in about these scopes I suggest have colllmination gear handy.
Also work out where your coma corrector must go..ie distance from sensor.
I have a f5 8 inch and the coma corrector seemed to fit in with no worries but at that stage I was not aware that distance to the sensor was important...that reminds me I never did check☺
With the new zwo I took the time to get the distance correct...

Good luck perhaps dont expect too much from your first go.... anyways hope you get something...good luck.
Alex
Old 16-12-2018, 09:44 PM
spiezzy

thanks for the reply Karl and Alex very useful information good to know about the focus with the MPCC looking forward to getting it set up and back into it shame i didn't have it tonight would have loved to image my favourite object the comet 46/p Wirtanen would have been great