Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-10-2018, 11:11 PM
StuTodd

PRISM v10 - 10% Off sale!

I have NO affiliation to the chap who writes it but PRISM is THE best software I've used, hands down.

Another option for you pro/am's - https://www.hyperion-astronomy.com/

Stu
Old 31-10-2018, 07:26 AM
garymck (Gary)

Pity it's so expensive and has such restrictive licensing terms......

Gary
Old 31-10-2018, 03:49 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Pity it's so expensive and has such restrictive licensing terms......

Gary
Just on the cost issue - consider the cost of say MaximDL - the basic version runs for US$199 ATM. While the Prism is on sale at US$120. In terms of functionality, there does seem to be a strong edge in favor of Prism. On paper it looks the duck's guts.

Peter
Old 31-10-2018, 07:14 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

It has an 80 day trial, so you could test it out to see.

For me, I'm hooked on PI, so there's a whole side to the PRISM software that I wouldn't use.

Still might look at the trial sometime though to see what I might be missing out on.
Old 31-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I would be curious to give it a look at some point to see how it compares against SGP for image acquisition.
Old 31-10-2018, 10:28 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Well, curiosity has gotten the better of me. I'm downloading it now and will make use of that 80-day trial period. I'll be interested to hear other opinions/experiences with it.
Peter
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

G'day Peter,

A couple of my US astrobuddies tried using Prism for a dual scope set up and were disappointed that it didn't work as advertised with two imaging cameras. Other than that they didn't have any complaints.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
my biggest issue is with the licence. The download says that it can be installed twice, and that they "may" give you a third licence. On the web site it says 3 pc's, but the licence that pops up when you install says 2. Also, you cannot transfer your licence to another PC, they specifically say that replacing your motherboard will invalidate a licence. If you want to protect yourself you have to spend another 89 Euros on a dongle that allows it to run on other pc's. Why can't they manage licences like SGP or APP where you can log on and de licence a pc??

Another big issue is that Plate solving only works when you are on line, you cannot use a local installation of ANSVR - the option is in the menu, but when you try it a message that this is a feature of Prism 11 pops up.

Have been running through the trial a bit, but have not yet found any compelling reason to spend big bucks - especially since I already own PI, APP and SGP - although SGP I find a bit flaky and I'll probably move to CCDCiel which is free.......and integrates with Cartes du Ciel and Siril, which are also free.

Gary
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 AM
StuTodd

Personally, I find it works with 2 cameras with no issue.

It WILL plate solve offline too, of course. I have used MaxIm (to which I am comparing Prism to and have to say Prism trounces that).

As for the license to run it on 3 computers, I can only use 1 at a time for imaging...

Stu
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post

It WILL plate solve offline too, of course. I have used MaxIm (to which I am comparing Prism to and have to say Prism trounces that).

As for the license to run it on 3 computers, I can only use 1 at a time for imaging...

Stu
I use one pc in my obs, one in the house for processing and a laptop for portable.......puts me one licence over the 2 limit in the programs licence and in the "request a licence" category. If I then have a pc issue and need to replace a computer I'm stuffed, and have to rely on the kindness of the vendor.....also can't use ANSVR plate solving at a dark sky site as there is no internet connection.....Can you tell me how you plate solve offline as I couldn't get it to work? Just got the message I referred to in my previous post...

Gary
Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
How are you using it, Stu? The feedback I got was that it could control two cameras but wasn't able to automate acquisition with both at once. If that's incorrect then perhaps I should give it a try (after doing some due diligence on the licensing - if you really can't transfer a license when you retire an old computer then that would be a deal breaker for me.)

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM
garymck (Gary)

Rick,
from the website re licence:

PRISM license system allows three software activations on three different PCs. This allows a single user to use PRISM, for instance, on its observatory PC, its home desktop PC and a laptop. Once the 3 licenses are exhausted, some additional license can be granted, but only on request basis, and some requests might not be accepted.
If one formats the hard disk, the license will be recalled, and the amount of valid license will not be decreased. If one change the PC's motherboard, the license number will be decreased.

Keep in mind, that this is not not possible today to transfer a license from a PC to another. To overcome the license number issue, the hardware dongle is proposed here for sale, to be able to run PRISM on more computers.

Note that the licence with the software states 2 licences, with a possible third on request.

Seems it may do blind platesolving but I cant get it to work.
Gary
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Thanks, Gary.