Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 28-06-2018, 03:34 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Im torn between this 72ed and a more light weight 60ed from sharpstar (or whatever rebrand is cheaper). 72ed has the advatnage of being somewhat cheaper and i can just grab it from the local store but the sharpstar is true and tested by many and already has a dedicated flattener. Ive also read that the 60ed has an imaging circle suitable for a full frame dslr. I cant seem to find any info on the imaging circle of the 72ed with the upcoming xedicated flattener. Someone help me make up my mind!
Old 09-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Kech (Kevin)

I wonder if anyone in Melbourne knows where to get EVOSTAR 72ED.
msged Optical central in Melbourne (got the website from skywatcher AU).
The guy advised it's not available in Australia yet. which i find it odd. as i seen few blokes on forum has it from Aus.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kech View Post
I wonder if anyone in Melbourne knows where to get EVOSTAR 72ED.
msged Optical central in Melbourne (got the website from skywatcher AU).
The guy advised it's not available in Australia yet. which i find it odd. as i seen few blokes on forum has it from Aus.
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/sky-...uidescope.html

It's in Queensland but they deliver, unfortunately now Melbourne has become a desert when it comes to astronomical purchases since Bintel left
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 AM
glend (Glen)

Imagers should wait a bit, the jury is still out on the objective. Skywatcher has taken the position of refusing to talk about the glass used in its latest scopes ( including the ED150). They are now pitching the ED150 as a purely visual scope, and early reviews report CA visually. The 72ED will not have the ED100 type objective (being FPL-53). If your looking for an imaging scope of this size I would look elsewhere. Whether that is WO TS, Sharp Star, AstroTech, etc, they all have good equipment available and will tell you about the objective.

This one probably has one of the best Doublet objectives in this size class:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...P-focuser.html

With both reducers and flattened available.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:54 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Imagers should wait a bit, the jury is still out on the objective. Skywatcher has taken the position of refusing to talk about the glass used in its latest scopes ( including the ED150). They are now pitching the ED150 as a purely visual scope, and early reviews report CA visually. The 72ED will not have the ED100 type objective (being FPL-53). If your looking for an imaging scope of this size I would look elsewhere. Whether that is WO TS, Sharp Star, AstroTech, etc, they all have good equipment available and will tell you about the objective.

This one probably has one of the best Doublet objectives in this size class:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...P-focuser.html

With both reducers and flattened available.
Yeah, I'm holding off on purchasing it until they release a dedicated corrector. I also didnt want to import a scope due to terrible exchange rate and new GST in effect. so opted for a locally sourced (ahem ebay) Samyang 135mm F2.0 lens for my full frame dslr for some widefield.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 PM
sj777 (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icearcher View Post
There are a few little modifications that Iv made to the dovetail to get it to works on my SW star adventure that can dig deeper into if needed.

Id be interested in the details as im seriously considering this as my next step in imaging with my SA and EOS M6. also have you got any images taken with it?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Icearcher (Chris)

Hi Dave

My modifications have gone even further since then. See the attached image for the most recent version, that was taken at the lunar eclipse last week.

I changed the dovetail to a 21cm long version and mounted it further back so that i could get balance with the DSLR. I drilled an extra hole to get it in the right spot and I had to countersink the bolt holes so that I could use cup head bolts that would sit flat with the dovetail base (see image of short green dovetail)

Iv also used a Baader Vixen Style Dovetail Clamp to attach the dovetail to the 1/4inch thread on the SA L bracket, this helps to be able to move the centre of balance, I think this is quite important as it should help to keep your polar alignment more accurate as you move the scope around, also I have found that you don't have to do the RA clutch up as tight to stop the scope from drifting.

I haven't done a lot of imaging with it yet as the scope came packed with months of clouds in the box but it performed beautifully during the lunar eclipse. I think I will wait till I have guiding up and running before it gets a good workout on DSOs.

Regards
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3039a.jpg)
83.5 KB180 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2954.JPG)
92.3 KB88 views
Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 PM
sj777 (Dave)

Thanks for that Chris. Those photos are helpful. Looks like I'll be right as I have a clamp and a 200mm vixen style dovetail bar I printed. I use these with my camera with 300mm lense and a 50mm guidescope in a side by side config. So I should be able to use that with the guidescope piggybacked on the ED72. I'll have to wait and see what backfocus extension I'm going to need. I'd like to move towards using a ZWO camera for the imaging at some point and then I'll want to do NB mono so I'll get a filter wheel and then at that point probably move to an EQ5

This will be my scope to do any imaging proper imaging with. It's a reasonable price for this next step. I played with a cheap 70/700 meade refractor on the SA for some fun and learning and needless to say it didn't go all that well.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Hi Dave

Looks like you are most of the way there already, finding balance is important on the SA.

I think the 72ed is a perfect size for the SA as well as its only about 2kg, when you add the weight of the camera plus guider and such, it will keep your weight under the max load of the mount, plus it gives you that extra bit of reach over your 300mm lens.

I have found that with my Canon 550d, I was about 10mm short on back focus so I purchased a 40mm extension and its perfect.

I had the same thought, this is my first real scope and it seems to be a winner so far, even the fact that they don't list the glass type doesn't bother me, I think SW engineers have done a good on this little beauty.
Old 14-10-2018, 04:33 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Grabbed myself the ED72 just today from Astroanarchy and set it up on the star adventurer. The RA balances nicely with just the standard counterweight all the way down so no need to an additional counterweight which is nice. I'm just worried about DEC balance but i dont think it'll be too much of an issue as it doesnt track in DEC. Although I'm looking to get a vixen dovetail mount anyways just to move it further back. The ZWO 30mm guidecamera will come in handy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (44030734_1965263816842344_8335097625229393920_n.jpg)
34.3 KB119 views
Old 15-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Hoges (John)

Got mine last week from Peter at AA too. Grabbed a longer dovetail and also tapped a couple 1/4 holes at the balance point for other tripods. The longer dovetail is fine when it's underneath, but can get in the way a little when mounted on the side...

Lovely little scope - very sharp and contrasty in the center but a needs a flattener as you get towards the corners in photos. Terrific little birding scope - much like the ED80 without the bulk.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the Orion flattener for small refractors would go on this and if it would come to focus without any extensions or mods? (I think there's around 62mm of infocus left to play with, with the camera attached and focused on infinity)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Evostar dovetail.jpg)
141.8 KB87 views
Old 16-10-2018, 05:32 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I couldn't find a lot of info on it for visual so went with the ed 80 Where did you get the 45 ' diagonal ?
Old 16-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Hoges (John)

The '45 was from Col (Flashdrive) if I remember right. Nice bit of kit. It's the Williams Optics 2" barrel but 1 1/4" on the eyepiece side.
Old 17-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Hoges (John)

Popped the Orion field flattener for short refractors onto the Evostar this arvo - while there was still a little field curvature evident towards the corners, it certainly made a worthwhile improvement. The shot of the Honeyeater has been cropped considerably to show the sharpness of the Evostar. The dead tree has been left untouched out of the camera so you can see the focus over the whole field. I use the dead tree a bit as it's easy to see any CA on the edge of the branches. The field flattener fits nicely leaving about 10mm or so of in-travel on the focuser and negating any need to use an extension tube to bring a dslr to focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (New holland.jpg)
149.7 KB124 views
Click for full-size image (Dead tree.jpg)
199.7 KB131 views
Old 21-10-2018, 03:00 PM
chris lewis

Hi, keen to get the Evostar ED72, however does anyone know how it compares to the standard Synta ED 80 doublet with the FPL-53 glass ? is the CA reduction similar and is the 8 mm less aperture that noticeable ?.
There is 'speculation' the new Evostar series uses the new FPL-55 glass which has similar properties to FPL-53 but costs 70% less to manufacture.

Thanks

Chris
Old 21-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Hoges (John)

I have both - the Evostar feels pretty similar to the ED80 in regards to CA. I can't see any until I put something high contrast halfway towards the edge of field - then I can see the yellow/blue line. I think my ED80 is exactly the same. Noticed a small amount of CA looking at Saturn last night - although couldn't see any when looking at the moon. Saturn had a really minor fringe to it - reminded me almost exactly of my ED100.

It seems just as sharp and contrasty as the ED80 with a little more field curvature but much nicer focuser. I certainly can't see the 8mm difference when using as a birding scope - haven't had them side by side at night yet. I'm just editing a review for youtube atm.
Old 22-10-2018, 06:35 AM
chris lewis

Hi John thanks for that exactly what I wanted to know. It sounds for visual use it would fall under the 'Full APO' category, not 'Semi APO' as some of the FPL-51 varieties are.The Evostar 72 ED is several hundred dollars cheaper then the 80 ED, its lighter and shorter esp. for airline travel. I will use one 1/2 as a day time spotter and 1/2 for bright planets and lunar use. It was the CA reduction what I was concerned about most as for some reason I am highly sensitive to it. Maximum magnification I guess would be around 120x -140x which is fine for want I want.

Chris
Old 22-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Hoges (John)

Hi Chris, I can't really speak to the semi/full apo catagory - although if I had outlaid a couple of thousand bucks for a full apo, I would be disappointed to see false color/fringing anywhere. I have put a video review up on youtube here: https://youtu.be/TfZmL0XfTJk and at the end of that, there's a bit of video shot through the scope with and without the flattener. The end video of the tulips gives a pretty fair impression of what I see through the eyepiece. I also spend a little bit of time talking about the limited focus travel and how that may affect some diagonal configurations. Hope it helps!
Old 22-10-2018, 11:22 AM
chris lewis

Great video and very professionaly done. Thanks

Chris
Old 22-10-2018, 07:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, there's one on the trader now...