Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 PM
m11 (Mel)

Victorian Dark Site property locations

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, if you were in a position to purchase a dark sky site, where would you acquire a property in Victoria?

What would be your criteria:
  1. Location
  2. Average cloud cover
  3. Near national parks to protect against light pollution
  4. Accessibility
  5. Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Imme (Jon)

My place just out of kyneton.
Farming land 2 sides, state forest the other 2.
Behind 2x mountain ranges to shield from Melbourne pollution.
On northern slope so hidden from stray light
0.13 luminance and only an hour from northern suburbs.

....oh, and has a nice 9mx6m roll off roof obs included.

Unfortunately though not currently for sale.....unless the price is right?

Seriously though.....I’ve got some great dark skies close to melbourne and in a growth corridor so investment should increase in value. Guess I’m saying you don’t have to go too far out

Last edited by Imme; 10-05-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:22 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

We spent awhile researching sites,obviously budget is a key issue! Use a dark sky map to help find a really dark place nestled between good towns like we did. And meteoblue site to confirm seeing is good.

Need to be nearish a major freeway for speedy access to Melbourne, or near train if you have plenty of time.

Above the dividing range preferred to improve cloud coverage.

Visit the property at all times to confirm suitability. If you get serious, check out all planning overlays and restrictions.

We bought in a farming area as it guarantees solitude, peace and dark skies, to put it bluntly, in the middle of f%^#n nowhere! Which we love. See my Facebook page in my Sig.

Pm me if you'd like to pop up and get a feel for what it's like in heaven. Being 20 mins from the nearest shop is either hell or heaven. Depends on your mindset.

I wish I had done this decades ago.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Imme,

Your place sounds ideal for stargazing.

Can I ask do you get many clear nights on average near Kyneton?

Love to get something - just got to convince the wife the PRICE is definitely worth it

Thanks for sharing,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
My place just out of kyneton.
Farming land 2 sides, state forest the other 2.
Behind 2x mountain ranges to shield from Melbourne pollution.
On northern slope so hidden from stray light
0.13 luminance and only an hour from northern suburbs.

....oh, and has a nice 9mx6m roll off roof obs included.

Unfortunately though not currently for sale.....unless the price is right?

Seriously though.....I’ve got some great dark skies close to melbourne and in a growth corridor so investment should increase in value. Guess I’m saying you don’t have to go too far out
Old 11-05-2018, 12:18 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Simmo,

Yah, I have been doing the same thing but not sure of the local weather conditions for clear skies in a year.

You have definitely done more research than I.

You have brought up good points that I have not thought of when choosing a location.

Much appreciated for the invitation.

Thanks,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
We spent awhile researching sites,obviously budget is a key issue! Use a dark sky map to help find a really dark place nestled between good towns like we did. And meteoblue site to confirm seeing is good.

Need to be nearish a major freeway for speedy access to Melbourne, or near train if you have plenty of time.

Above the dividing range preferred to improve cloud coverage.

Visit the property at all times to confirm suitability. If you get serious, check out all planning overlays and restrictions.

We bought in a farming area as it guarantees solitude, peace and dark skies, to put it bluntly, in the middle of f%^#n nowhere! Which we love. See my Facebook page in my Sig.

Pm me if you'd like to pop up and get a feel for what it's like in heaven. Being 20 mins from the nearest shop is either hell or heaven. Depends on your mindset.

I wish I had done this decades ago.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You want to get north of the Great Dividing Range as it has a better climate for astro than the south side. There are arguements for the south side in places depending on what it is you want to do. Do you prefer clear skies or better observing skies?

I bought in Heathcote because it takes a little over an hour to get to from the northern suburbs where I live and work. There are considerably more clear nights up there than in Melbourne. It is also at a higher altitude but Melbourne sometimes gets some very good seeing.

On the south side of the Great Divide is Ballarat which means that you’ll get more cloud BUT there are spots of 800-1,000m elevation which can mean better crisper skies than Heathcote at 240m or Melbourne (I’m at 70m).

I do a lot more photography than visual and most of my imaging is wider field stuff which is less seeing dependant. Heathcote works better for me than Ballarat but if i was more interested in planetary photography I’d be inclined to look at Ballarat over Heathcote.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 PM
bojan
amateur

We (older blokes (almost retired)) must consider other factors, like vicinity of markets, medical facilities, graveyards....
That's why my better half and me decided Ballarat is a place to be. Plus the prices of properties are still reasonable (for Melbourne standars)
And the LP is not that terrible either (yet).

Last edited by bojan; 11-05-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hi Imme,

Your place sounds ideal for stargazing.

Can I ask do you get many clear nights on average near Kyneton?

Love to get something - just got to convince the wife the PRICE is definitely worth it

Thanks for sharing,

M11
Hard to quantify how many clear nights really as I don't record them all.

Living on the side of a hill (it's 800m'ish at the top and my obs is at 600m) it seems I often get pretty unique weather patterns......more often than not I have some clear skies above me but if I look out to the horizon I can see cloud coming that ends up going around me. Guess it has something to do with prevailing wind from the west (where my weather comes from) hitting the side of the hill causing a higher pressure area which in turn means any approaching cloud is pushed sideways/around where I am.

This week I have imaged once (Tues night) but there have been 2 x other nights which would have been OK to I think......and we've had some crappy weather this week!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 AM
m11 (Mel)

Skies

Hi Colin,

Thanks for replying. Alot of people have mentioned the same thing as well which make sense.

In terms of the sky conditions I would prefer clear skies. So frustrating in Melb with the number of cloudy nights.

I prefer visual as it would be more outreach for others.

Thanks,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
You want to get north of the Great Dividing Range as it has a better climate for astro than the south side. There are arguements for the south side in places depending on what it is you want to do. Do you prefer clear skies or better observing skies?

I bought in Heathcote because it takes a little over an hour to get to from the northern suburbs where I live and work. There are considerably more clear nights up there than in Melbourne. It is also at a higher altitude but Melbourne sometimes gets some very good seeing.

On the south side of the Great Divide is Ballarat which means that you’ll get more cloud BUT there are spots of 800-1,000m elevation which can mean better crisper skies than Heathcote at 240m or Melbourne (I’m at 70m).

I do a lot more photography than visual and most of my imaging is wider field stuff which is less seeing dependant. Heathcote works better for me than Ballarat but if i was more interested in planetary photography I’d be inclined to look at Ballarat over Heathcote.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM
m11 (Mel)

Thanks

Lol, only old if you feel it Bojan

So true in regards to modern day convenience as the wife would be wanting those things as well.

Its true the prices are definetelt more reasonable in regional. Also I have no expectation that this will be like an investment property that will go up

Thanks,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
We (older blokes (almost retired)) must consider other factors, like vicinity of markets, medical facilities, graveyards....
That's why my better half and me decided Ballarat is a place to be. Plus the prices of properties are still reasonable (for Melbourne standars)
And the LP is not that terrible either (yet).
Old 12-05-2018, 08:35 AM
m11 (Mel)

Thanks

Hi Imme,

Thanks for the observation report for your location. Its always better to hear it from a local experiencing the weather than average weather indicators.

One thing I never understood is how weather works and cloud forms and dissipates. Can make and break a observing session.

M11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Hard to quantify how many clear nights really as I don't record them all.

Living on the side of a hill (it's 800m'ish at the top and my obs is at 600m) it seems I often get pretty unique weather patterns......more often than not I have some clear skies above me but if I look out to the horizon I can see cloud coming that ends up going around me. Guess it has something to do with prevailing wind from the west (where my weather comes from) hitting the side of the hill causing a higher pressure area which in turn means any approaching cloud is pushed sideways/around where I am.

This week I have imaged once (Tues night) but there have been 2 x other nights which would have been OK to I think......and we've had some crappy weather this week!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 PM
pgc hunter

North of the divide is mandatory. The southerlies that are so common in SE Australia often send cloud and moisture from the southern ocean which gets backed up against the dividing range like an overflowing toilet, resulting in southern Vic's notoriously crappy climate.

The ranges cut off this cloud and moisture for the most part, resulting in rapidly increasing frequency of clear skies north of it. Driving towards Melbourne over the ranges it is borderline comical seeing the layer cloud appear and thicken as you get closer and closer.

If it were me, I'd buy a land somewhere near Mildura, very dark skies with the best likelyhood of clear skies and Mildura has just about every modern convenience. Property up there is relatively cheap aswell. Further south in the Mallee has some dirt cheap property, still dark and clear, but the place is a twilight zone. If proximity to Melbourne matters, then somewhere around Bendigo would be the way to go.
Old 13-05-2018, 10:05 AM
m11 (Mel)

I was wondering if that was the case. I think everyone has convinced me that going North of the divide is best.

In terms of regional cities I will take a closer look at.

Hmm, never thought of Mildura. Thanks for the recommendation , time to start researching.

A lot of things I haven't even considered you have highlighted.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

m11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
North of the divide is mandatory. The southerlies that are so common in SE Australia often send cloud and moisture from the southern ocean which gets backed up against the dividing range like an overflowing toilet, resulting in southern Vic's notoriously crappy climate.

The ranges cut off this cloud and moisture for the most part, resulting in rapidly increasing frequency of clear skies north of it. Driving towards Melbourne over the ranges it is borderline comical seeing the layer cloud appear and thicken as you get closer and closer.

If it were me, I'd buy a land somewhere near Mildura, very dark skies with the best likelyhood of clear skies and Mildura has just about every modern convenience. Property up there is relatively cheap aswell. Further south in the Mallee has some dirt cheap property, still dark and clear, but the place is a twilight zone. If proximity to Melbourne matters, then somewhere around Bendigo would be the way to go.
Old 13-05-2018, 05:00 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Yeah Lol Mildura or southern NSW would be great for even clearer weather. And your suntan 😂. Proximity to major cities not so good though