Old 20-02-2018, 05:32 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Did anyone spot Venus already ?

I just (18:25) spotted Venus with my 16x56 binos right above the Sun (standing in the shadow to prevent accidentally pointing at the Sun) and I saw it.

After sunset is is too low.

Did anyone see Venus already ?
Old 22-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Tried today at midday with 6.5x32 and 7x50 binoculars but not seen. I was using a veranda to shield the Sun and definitely had the right spot to focus on. I shall keep trying as the separation increases.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:04 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Tried today at midday with 6.5x32 and 7x50 binoculars but not seen. I was using a veranda to shield the Sun and definitely had the right spot to focus on. I shall keep trying as the separation increases.
Strange, with these binos it should work when following conditions are met:

* Clear blue sky (i.e. no haze or cirrus clouds)
* Binos should be properly focused (try on an object as far as possible > a few 100 m away)
* Stand in the shade preventing accidentally pointing at the Sun

Look up beforehand where it is with a star charting app. 8 degrees is one fist width with stretched arm.
Old 27-02-2018, 02:27 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

And today Mercury as a bonus

15:20 AEDT I pointed the scope at the Sun for alignment (no eyepiece view !!! and objective stopped down to 20mm to prevent overheating) and then I pointed at Venus (and removed the 20mm cardboard) which was easily found and even Mercury only 8 degrees from the Sun. Both planets are east from the Sun, so the Sun will never move into view and blind me.
This elusive planet is easier to find in daylight, particularly now the planet stands low after sunset this time of the year.
Old 27-02-2018, 02:45 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
15:20 AEDT I pointed the scope at the Sun for alignment (no eyepiece view !!! and objective stopped down to 20mm to prevent overheating) and then I pointed at Venus (and removed the 20mm cardboard) which was easily found and even Mercury only 8 degrees from the Sun. Both planets are east from the Sun, so the Sun will never move into view and blind me.
This elusive planet is easier to find in daylight, particularly now the planet stands low after sunset this time of the year.
Always look at Venus , Mercury, even Jove and Saturn in Twilight if I can, as it reduces Glare and increases contrast for me, esp to get the Cassini Division..esp good also doing this for those with fast Achromats..never tried this during day though.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 27-02-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I picked up Venus near midday last Wed 28th using 6.5x32 binoculars. It was a brilliant white beacon against the blue sky. Having found Venus' position I was able to pick it out naked eye.

It was a busy day and I have only just realised I had forgotten to post the observation.

Venus was so obvious that it made me wonder why I could not find it earlier as I had reported. The sky was clear that day and the binos were right on focus. I think I was looking too close to the Sun at the time to try and find Venus.

This observation was at 12 degree separation. Shall have to try again when closer as per Skysurfer's observation.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

At last, Steve the cloud, glued to my twilight sky for weeks, gave me a few degrees of horizon finally and easily picked up Venus in cheap 8X42 binox this evening at 7.55, some ten minutes before setting and due west. Failed to spot nearby Mercury and no naked eye visibility yet. Venus mag-3.9 and Mercury mag. -1.1. Promising for days ahead.
Regards, Eugene
Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Venus in binox and first naked eye sighting at 7.47 pm. Mercury approx 2 degrees north and slightly lower, binox only. great seeing early tonight.
regards, eugene
Old 29-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I have just seen it:- a month after the first reports.

Its clearly visible without optical aid. Its nice to see a bright planet again in the evening.