Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM
doppler (Rick)

Interesting poll results from 2016. 12 here said that they had spent over $50k and 2 of those over $100k.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=poll
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM
inline_online (Dan)

It definitely depends on the stage you're at in your life.

I have had my dream scope since 1997 now. I spent about $12K on a Tak FS128 and a heap of astrophotography gear. But back then I had no wife, no kids and a very understanding bank manager.

I don't think I need a different OTA but would like to upgrade the mount to something way better one day. But now I have wife and two kids in high school so all purchases are on hold for years to come. Earning way more money, sure, but also have much bigger financial commitments.

If money was not an issue I don't know what I'd do. Probably call Claude and see if he can order me one of those 300mm Tak refractors that you sometimes see pictures of. Nah, I'll get two of 'em and get Kunama to make it into a bino-scope for me
Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

The scopes often the cheap part in the chain when we talk big dollars and big scopes .

mount the sucker on something and price it in ?

buy the land to house it all ?

build the house to live on site and support structures ?

I think /know some do all of the above in a calculated way over many years
Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

I would probably move to a dark site on top of a mountain , that would be the most cost the scope is the least problem
Old 10-05-2018, 09:34 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

A few thousand is about all I could justify (pre stroke days) but as an early miner of bitcoins I was able to turn those in a once off opportnity for a $12k scope. Very extravagent and more than I would have bought for myself with savings. Now after my stroke, I'm broke, can't even afford to upgrade my zwo 120mc, using a $1k scope because my new physical disability excludes me using my good scope unless i could maybe get a motorised tripod platform (last time i checked it'd be $2k+ for something, maybe). of course its all a dream, am struggling to hang onto my job and my life, if i could afford any of those things now I'd rather try to buy a handgun and be done with the frustrations of my situation.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
.... if i could afford any of those things now I'd rather try to buy a handgun and be done with the frustrations of my situation.
Steve, saw this yesterday and I keep coming back to it.

Life has dealt you a carp hand by the looks of it. I read your gofundme in your signature and hope you get to your objective.

Take care