Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 20-05-2012, 11:35 AM
bojan
amateur

Bartels software in pulse-dir mode for EQ6

After some fiddling, I managed to get Bartels scope.exe and my Pololu modules (the same PCB as discussed in Sound Stepper thread, http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=90164&page=2, #38) working properly on the bench - the trick was in config.dat file, and the values I used are as follows:

[*** microstep section ***]
MsPowerDownSec 5
PWMRepsTick 480
AvgPWMRepsTickOnFlag 1
MsDelayX 72
MsPause 0
Ms 2

The Ms parameter tuning behaved a bit strange - the stream of pulses started as short bursts of 3-5 pulses every 55ms, and increasing the values for PWM and MsDelay did not result in monotonic response - Msdelay of 66 gave very short bursts (1-2ms), at 72 burst length jumped to 15ms duration.. I am still waiting for Mel to comment on this.

The overall impression is good - the motors are running much smoother with those chips and controlled with step/dir pulses, compared to standard PWM generated by scope.exe (this was the reason I designed this circuit, BTW).

Now, I will have to test this on stars.. this will have to wait after Venus transit, I don't want to cripple my mount in any way before that date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EQ6_Bartels_Pololu.jpg)
152.5 KB39 views

Last edited by bojan; 27-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 20-05-2012, 01:21 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Excellent work Bojan.
Old 27-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Bojan

BTW did you hear that Mel Bartels has given up on his business to concentrate on better things in life?

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 27-05-2012, 04:14 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Bojan

BTW did you hear that Mel Bartels has given up on his business to concentrate on better things in life?

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Yes I know - but I am also sure that astronomy is one of those things in his life
He still supports his scope.exe (a bit sluggish recently, yes.. but he is still there for us on his yahoo group).

BTW, his software doesn't need too much support from him, really - all documentation is very comprehensive and still available on the web and anyone with a bit of technical knack will be able to use it.
The thing is, this is really everything you will ever really need to control the telescope. The only issue is LPT port and DOS (both now obsolete and absent from new machines) but this can still be sorted out, with a very little money - especially for permanent setups.