Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-02-2010, 01:14 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Congrats Chris You will love the camera especially the cooling. I easily reach delta T of 50 degrees, even when it's 30 degrees out side the camera will reach -20 at 68% cooling power. I have not set the camera lower as it is not necessary and it means I have only had to shoot my dark library once. Unless I try to take pics when it's 40 degrees C outside I am certain the camera will be able to attain the -20 setting. It also works well with MaximDL as long as you use the ASCOM drivers and connect the filter wheel directly to the camera via the FW port. I did have some problems with the FW when I tried to power the camera and wheel using the short cable that comes with the package (i.e. main power lead into one plug in the FW and use the other plug to power the regulator --> peltier). I could not get this to work for me and had lots of trouble at first. May I say Theo's support with this was excellent !!!!! Turned out when I use 2 seperate power leads the problem goes away (not an issue with leads as the regulator box is seperate so only one lead goes to the camera/wheel). The only other issue I have found is when you press stop halfway through exposing an image in maxim whilst using the autosave function. The program will not let you use the warm up function to minimise stress on the CCD. Just restart maxim and you are away. This does not happen when you stop it between exposures. My offset and gain settings are 102 and 15 respectively. I find this allows the full range to be captured with very little clipping either end. Yours will be different but still in the same ball park. Don't be a woose, get in there filters an all, that way you will get to solve all the issues at the same time

Mark
Old 24-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks for that Mark!

LOL! I fully intend to start using the filters straight away - although the first few shots will be filterless just to see what the baseline is.

I've downloaded MaximDL v5, and have to say that it's a nice package. Certainly much better than EZcap (which doesn't seem to cater for dark subtraction) but for the version that drives ASCOM cameras is very expensive - US$500. Ouch... I also tried Nebulosty 2 and it doesn't want to know about filter wheels for some reason.

I don't know how long you've had yours, but mine came with the dual power cable from the AC supply - one lead into the CFW and the other into the regulator. Seems to work a treat

I upgraded the ASCOM 5b install to v5.5 and suddenly my CFW wasn't recognised by Maxim for some reason. I had to re-install the CSW ASCOM over the top again and away it went.

Also - how do the coloured LEDs on the CFW work? In order to satisfy Maxim, I loaded my filters in the following order: R, G, B, L, Ha - and they correspond directly and correctly to filter change commands from Maxim (so nothing had to be re-labeled or re-ordered for convenience' sake) - landing on the correct filter no probs. However, the coloured LEDs on the filter wheel don't seem to momentarily light displaying the filter coming up. If I'm on green and select blue, the LEDs seem to flash green only - i.e. the departing filter. How is this feature meant to work - or might it not under ASCOM?

Anyhoo - all great fun. I can't wait to start using it for real, but pity the weather doesn't seem to agree

Last edited by Omaroo; 24-02-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 24-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Gama

Maxim can re label the filternames, so its up to you the sequence and position of filters you use.

Colored LED's are more for Manual/visual indication, but as you know, Maxim and other software can re label anyposition to any filter.

Theo.
Old 24-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks Theo

So - for the sake of it, what do I have to change in software somewhere to make sure the, say blue LED, actually flashes blue when I ask the filter in position 3 (which is where I have my blue filter loaded) to load?

As I say, I have the filters loaded in the order that Maxim had them by default (just for the convenience of it): 1-R, 2-G, 3-B, 4-L, 5-other. So - I have them in this sequence and when I call for green I get it. When I call for red, I get that too. No problems here. Labeling is working for the filters as they are installed.

Now - what is the default order of the LED colours? Are they hard-wired to correspond with physical positions... or are they flexible? I can see no way of matching them to my filters - in whatever sequence I actually choose to install and label them - or am I simply missing something? I don't discount that.... LOL! I guess what I'm asking is is there a way to assign LED colours to a wheel position, or are they locked, in which case you really must re-assign names in whatever acquisition software you're using instead to match the LED/position number?
Old 24-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Gama

I sent you a PM, but i'll brief it here..
Basically the LED's are programed to light up on a particular position (Cant recall which is one, two etc).
If you want to line them up to your software (Pointless really as you have a software indication already), then you would relabel the filter position in Maxim, lets say, to indicate the same filter in the filter wheel position which matches the LED.
So lets say that position 1 is the green LED for instance, then place the green filter in position 1, then in Maxim FW position one, just label it "Green", etc etc. Then they light up and line up.
But this was only for users that dont have a QHY-9 camera, and dont have expensive software etc.. and just wanted a visual indication of what filter its moving to etc..

Well, longer than brief, but i hope its simpler to understand.

Theo.
Old 24-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Ah ha! The penny drops! They're not for use under program control. OK - no probs... I understand now. They're hard-coded to their respective positions and are available when using the wheel under control of something other than EZcap or Maxim - i.e. under plain TTY control via serial cable...

Last edited by Omaroo; 24-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 24-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I moved my filters around to match the lights

If you are running the drivers that show fine tuning and overscan correction you might want to read this to figure out what overscan correction is
Old 24-02-2010, 04:34 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Photo's we want photo's Chris
Old 24-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

So do I Martin... so do I! LOL!

Darn cloud's bitten with a vengeance here at home.
Old 24-02-2010, 06:08 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Melbourne is just splendid the last two days, and it looks like a couple of nights more
Old 24-02-2010, 06:41 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Glad someone finally came through with a camera for you mate! I know what its like to go weeks with no photon grabbing.. Its a good way to lose hair...

The setup looks really good! What gets me is the size... The QHY9/CFW setup is tiny compared to my camera/cfw..... Tiiiiiinny!! probably weighs about 1/3rd of my setup too..

Fingers crossed for first light sometime soon mate! You'll love the KAF8300, its the perfect sensor for the wide field scopes!
Old 24-02-2010, 07:28 PM
marki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Ah ha! The penny drops! They're not for use under program control. OK - no probs... I understand now. They're hard-coded to their respective positions and are available when using the wheel under control of something other than EZcap or Maxim - i.e. under plain TTY control via serial cable...

Chris, if you want the lights to indicate the filter colour load the filters in order from position 1: G,R,B,L,Ha. If you open the acsom driver in MaximDl just double click each position and change its name. The real power of Maxim comes out when you use the autosave and guiding functions. Basically if your filters are parfocal just program the order and number of shots you want and press go. The program will capture all your subs and automatically save them into a pre determined folder (drink beer). It will also calibrate all your subs in a single mouse click (drink more beer). There is plenty of powerful processing options and a whole host of other things you can use it to do. Has to be the most complete astro program available, complex yes but well worth learning and easily worth $500.00.

Cheers

Mark
Old 24-02-2010, 07:43 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Agreed... Even if your filters aren't parfocal, if you have a computer controlled focuser like robofocus etc, you simply find the focus position offset value of each filter, insert them into MaximDL, tell the computer you want 10x10min lum bin 1x1, 5x5min R G and B binned 2x2, you want dithered guiding and you want it saved "here" with "this" file name... click go and crack a beer... Thats your night in the bag...

Mark said it all... Worth learning and worth the money..
Old 24-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks guys

Yep - LOTS to learn with Maxim. There's some amazing power there. I'llbe a while getting me head around it I'm sure! All good fun though.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:24 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

While you're learning it, Maxim seems like a great reason to drink lots of JD and imagine doing something other than astro imaging... Once you've got it sorted, Maxim seems like a great reason to drink lots of JD and imagine doing nothing but astro imaging.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:29 AM
marki

Alex, great minds think alike

Mark