Old 25-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Canon 5D MkIV

After much waiting and many rumours, the new 5d4 has been released.

But what are Canon Australia thinking????

A $A RRP that is over $A1000 more than the USA RRP price (in $A) Seriously!! ??

I'll be getting one for sure, but doubt it will be a local purchase.
Old 26-08-2016, 08:18 PM
acropolite (Phil)

The $Au RRP is a bit of a shock, IMO a couple of grand overpriced, maybe it will be revolutionary rather than evolutionary. Hopefully it will drop to a sane price over time.
Old 26-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I wonder how the chip is going to compare against the one that is in the Nikon D810a. I personally don't think that there was that much of an improvement between the MkII & MkIII, not worth the extra expense anyway. The D810 has significantly lower read noise and dynamic range over the Canon.
Old 27-08-2016, 07:58 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I wonder how the chip is going to compare against the one that is in the Nikon D810a. I personally don't think that there was that much of an improvement between the MkII & MkIII, not worth the extra expense anyway. The D810 has significantly lower read noise and dynamic range over the Canon.
The main advantage Sony sensors had over Canon apart from a probably more advanced plant that runs at much smaller sizes is the fact that Sony sensors for a while now have had the analogue to digital converter on the actual sensor itself. Canon had theirs off the chip, This adds significantly to the downstream read noise and is why boosting shadows with a Canon gave excessive noise.

Since the 7D 2 though and 80D Canon now has their ADC on the sensor itself like Sony has had for some time. Hence the improvement in shadow boosting noise and dynamic range of the 7D2 and 80D.

Per initial reviews you can expect shadow noise and dynamic range to be quite a bit improved over the 5D3 despite smaller pixels.

Greg.