Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 17-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Chris Southby (Chris)

Acquiring images with an ASUS Transformer book

Hi All
Does anyone know if it is possible to acquire images from a ZWO ASI120 or QHYL5-11 with an ASUS windows based ultrabook. My wife is buying the ultrabook and I'm thinking of getting a descent but low cost planetary imaging camera.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 17-04-2015, 02:54 PM
chuckywiz (Ben)

no reason why you shouldnt be able to. Im using the cheapest asus laptop around and it does the job fine. the ultra books do have usb 3.0 ports on it though so you may want to get a usb hub with usb 3 and usb 2 on it just incase the cams dont work on one of the other. I have a usb hub that has both on it and some work fine on usb 3 and others dont. make sure its a powered hub also.

someone else might be able to help with the windows 8 issues but its been out for a while so dont see why there should be any driver issues.
Old 17-04-2015, 03:30 PM
killswitch (Edison)

I run my ASI120MM using an old Atom netbook from 2008. I mainly use it as a guide cam but when i tested firecapture i was getting rates of up to 32fps at full res (maximum is 35fps).

So anything newer than that will run it like a breeze.