Old 29-06-2013, 02:21 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Field Flattener Advice needed

Hi

I an currently running a Orion Ed102, 60Da and T-ring and 50mm extension combo. Im looking to explore using a field flattener but would like some advice re model/brand and how they all fit together for optimal use.

Would appreciate pics on how those using similar equipment fit all the gear together. I personally am trying to limit the amount the amount of glass that I have to deal with - but welcome all advice on this.

Cheers Petra d.

Last edited by spacezebra; 29-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 29-06-2013, 03:13 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Petra

I am running an SW Black Diamond ED102, with the SW 0.85 reducer/flattener and a Canon 60da. I havnt needed any extension tubes though. With this reducer you would need the wide version of the EOS tRing as its an M48 thread. Bintel have those.

This is the reducer/flattener. Cant see it on the bintel site though thats were I got it from

http://www.skywatcher.com/product.php?cat=28&id=179

Imaging train in photo attached

You do get a very flat image with this combo. Was quite impressed.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (reducer setup small.jpg)
157.2 KB52 views
Old 29-06-2013, 07:35 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Thanks David

Ill have a play without the extension tube, but how would you set up the train (plus flattener) if I still needed the extension (sounds like a dumb question). Not sure what my issue is that I need the extension??

Cheers Petra d.
Old 29-06-2013, 10:52 PM
DJT (David)

am assuming you added the extension because of back focus issues?

I havnt had to use extensions with the reducer and my rig so really cant advise. i would imagine its [focuser] [flattener/focuser] [extension rings] [Tting] [camera] though if needed?

try to get focus without the extensions as a start and see what kicks off from there. 50mm extensions is pretty unforgiving for a 100mm frac and a dslr..
Old 29-06-2013, 11:30 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Petre, the skywatcer reducer screws on to the standard focuser, I don't think you need an extension.

Last edited by acropolite; 30-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 30-06-2013, 09:57 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

The flattened will act as the extender, so no need for additional extension.

Cheers
Sandy
Old 30-06-2013, 10:00 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hey Phil and David

Thank you for all the advice - Ill have a play tonight, without the extension (no reducer/flattener yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Petra, the skywatcer reducer screws on to the standard focusser, I don't think you need an extension.
Which skywatch reducer Phil, do I need a specific one (David has suggested the SW 0.85 - or is that more suited to the ED120??)? Just don't know enough about this type of glass.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:50 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Petra, I there specific ones made for each model, mine is specifically labelled as "Reducer corrector -0.85x for ED80". You will need this one for the ED102.

Not sure if your T adapter is suitable, there is also a special camera adapter with a wider throat (not all T adapters are the same) that is designed for Full Frame (talk to one of the many Michaels at Bintel, they should know, ask about the T adapter for Full Frame).

Nothing else should be needed, no extensions are necessary with the reducer, provided you have the stock focuser,

I had an aftermarket focuser but ended up buying another stock 10:1 because I couldn't adapt the aftermarket drawtube to the SW reducer.

I haven't actually fired a shot in anger with mine yet, but I can't see any vignetting and focus no problem on terrestrial tests.

I've uploaded some pics, first is the reducer and 5DII attached to the standard focuser, second is the part you remove, the third and fourth are to show just how wide the adapter is (the wide one is to the left).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (with camera.jpg)
87.8 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (remove this.jpg)
71.3 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (Wide throat adapter.jpg)
74.7 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (T Comparison.jpg)
97.8 KB49 views

Last edited by acropolite; 30-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 30-06-2013, 02:45 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi Phil

Currently using, in this order

60Da => DSLR T ring => 2" - T2 Adapter Thread => 50mm extension, which has been fine - I can reach focus comfortably.. and have been hesitant to add "one more piece of equipment" to the equation.

So if I can loose the 50mm extension - and replace with the flattener/reducer - even better. 60Da is not full frame - so not sure about the T2 - will have to ask on that one.

Again, thanks Phil and David for all your comments and advice. Any additional thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Petra
Old 30-06-2013, 03:00 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Thanks Sandy - its all starting to click now. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
The flattened will act as the extender, so no need for additional extension.

Cheers
Sandy
Old 30-06-2013, 06:35 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
With this reducer you would need the wide version of the EOS tRing as its an M48 thread. Bintel have those.
Missed that, Looks like you will definitely have to order the larger T adapter with the reducer.

@ David, I'm curious about the focuser you have, what model is it, does it have the correct thread, or did you have an additional adapter for the drawtube?
Old 30-06-2013, 07:13 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Missed that, Looks like you will definitely have to order the larger T adapter with the reducer.

@ David, I'm curious about the focuser you have, what model is it, does it have the correct thread, or did you have an additional adapter for the drawtube?
I upgraded to a moonlight. The standard SW focuser had a nasty habit of slipping with the Canon and I never felt confident with it retaining focus after early mishaps. I also wanted to motorise the focus.

There is an adapter you need to get above the standard moonlight unit for the scope that you quote for. I just emailed them to confirm what I wanted to put on, ie, the reducer/flattener and what I had ie, the BD ED100, and they recommended the correct adapter, no problems. Really helpful bunch of people, like most people in this hobby I find.
Old 30-06-2013, 07:33 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Thanks Phil

I was afraid of that. I appreciate the advice.

Quote:

Cheers Petra d.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Thanks all

Steve - Myastroshop has suggested some Flattener options for my Orion ED102,

"Perhaps the William Optics 2" APO Adjustable field flattener for 500-1000mm focal length refractors (about $449 GST inc) or a HOTECH 2-inch flattener (about $240 GST inc)."

Steve has been brilliant - very helpful. Also suggested that I loose the extension tube - so will give that a try as soon as the sky improves.

Cheer Petra d.