Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 24-04-2013, 11:54 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Track / Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I haven't decided yet about the track/wheels design, so any input is still most appreciated
I have a couple of options. Leaning towards this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (825893-design_2.jpg)
27.2 KB163 views
Old 24-04-2013, 12:05 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
I have a couple of options. Leaning towards this one:
I also like this idea - metal tube/track on the dome, to add weight.
The rough calculation on wind load says that 80km/h wind will produce side force of ~900N on the dome profile...
The dome itself will have ~110kg, so a bit more weight will be actually beneficial for stability and the additional anchoring may prove to be un-necessary ( I will still have it, though).

Last edited by bojan; 24-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 24-04-2013, 02:10 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Dome Weights

I have just "inherited" about 1000kg of 300mm I beams that I am going to use for the base of my observatory... if I can cut them

That should give the dome a nice firm base to ride on. I might add, it nearly killed me getting them on the ute. (So glad I learned about levers and rollers as a kid.)

Doing the calculations at the moment and reckon I can get a 3.5m to 4.0m octagon out of this lot. I guess that will equate to 8 rolling surfaces.

Fogive me for I know not what I do.....
Old 28-04-2013, 05:17 PM
bojan
amateur

The first phase is finished - all hexagons (13 +1 spare) are ready, and door frame elements as well.
The next phase [assembly of the frame (hexagons only, the pentagons will be made of styrodur without frame) on steel pipe torus, 2.5m in diameter] will continue in October - November... depending on my employment status (if I don't find the job very soon, I will officially retire by end of this financial year - and the schedule for the observatory will be as planned. If I find one, then the whole thing will be postponed for a year or so (so, should I want or not want to find a job ??)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (door_frame.jpg)
94.7 KB185 views
Click for full-size image (stomps.jpg)
36.3 KB177 views

Last edited by bojan; 01-05-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 28-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

What I can't understand is why (to my limited knowledge), someone hasn't made their revolving track system from a lower flat(ish) "u" shaped channel with the upper dome section track made to fit inside on a "bed" of ball bearings.

An alternative to "commercial" coatings may be a mix of cement and PVA (aka Aquadhere), it may require some experimenting to get the correct mix ratio but it could be worth consideration.

Old 28-04-2013, 09:05 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Round bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
What I can't understand is why (to my limited knowledge), someone hasn't made their revolving track system from a lower flat(ish) "u" shaped channel with the upper dome section track made to fit inside on a "bed" of ball bearings.

Err, two round bits instead of one....
Old 29-04-2013, 05:09 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
What I can't understand is why (to my limited knowledge), someone hasn't made their revolving track system from a lower flat(ish) "u" shaped channel with the upper dome section track made to fit inside on a "bed" of ball bearings...

Actually, I was considering the similar option of course (not two pieces, because this would be too much, as Rom suggested) - U channel on the base and wheels on the dome side.
I even considered making the "u" channel into concrete wall (by impressing the shape with round plastic pipe) or cutting the channel (with router) into the wooden round-ish frame...
But, I figured out that the bending of the round tube into torus is way easier job (at least for my friend who have the necessary facilities) than bending of the "U" channel and/or other alternatives... so this is why I will have the torus, after all.. compromise must be made somewhere, dictated by the local circumstances..
And it will be on the dome side, because of two reasons:
- I want more weight, distributed towards the lower part of the structure, to increase the stability on high winds
- I want to have the firm and stiff base onto which the wooden frame will be mounted.

And, yes, this way it is only one round bit (torus itself).. and couple of (8 in my case) stomps to carry the wheels...

Last edited by bojan; 29-04-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 AM
bojan
amateur

Angry

Report on progress: back to square one.

Yesterday we visited property in Seymour where my geodesic dome was planned for next year to be built..

I was not prepared for the shock that was waiting for me in the backyard.. The huge, monstrous industrial-type unit or barn erected next to our property by our northern neighbour while we were away.
I noticed that he has some (very loud, with earth-moving machinery) work being done over the fence while we were there last time (late January?) and I asked him what it was.. he told me he was securing the terrain next to our fence from sliding (which doesn't sounded like the bad idea), and later he was going to build the shed there.. to which I agreed in principle, but I had no idea it was going to be THAT big and THAT high.
I am wandering now how it was possible that nobody (including agent who manages the property) hadn't contacted us prior to issuing the building permit (If I knew for this plan, I would have strongly objected to this so called "shed" to be placed next to our northern fence, effectively casting the shadow into our backyard during winter time.. not to mention the totally ruined view to the north sky).
So.. what to do now?
It seems I am forced to go up 3 metres or so.... or to forget about the whole thing in Seymour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Backyard_dome.JPG)
129.9 KB224 views
Click for full-size image (Super_shed.jpg)
199.0 KB243 views

Last edited by bojan; 10-08-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Geez, that's just really nasty, I reckon 45 degree obstruction... goodbye ecliptic... Maybe worth trying to negotiate with a local farmer or someone similar. I look at my site every day and know how lucky I am. I can see clouds without any obscuration at all...
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

THAT is a bummer ! With the slope you have you aren't going to gain much by moving down the hill either and what about heat currents off the roof ?
That really sucks ....
Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM
bojan
amateur

It is a disaster.

If I go up by 2.5m, I could compensate for the hight of the building.. but the whole idea completely lost the meaning... not to mention the need for permit and unexpected expences.

I think I will sell the property and move somewhere else.

I checked the legality of the whole thing with the local council, he did his homework, everything is as per current regulations.. he only forgot about simple and common sense courtesy and peace with his neighbours.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Maybe you can look into the closeness to the fence line, i think there needs to be a certain amount available. Still may not make much of a difference.

One other thing, the only requirement for a shed that high is for potential commercial reason, it the area zoned for residential or dual.

Good luck either way
Old 13-08-2014, 08:17 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

In NZ side and rear boundary restrictions are only 1.2m but there are height covenants to protect sunlight etc. But they would only apply to a dwelling, not a section.
I see no easy solution especially as you gave him a verbal 'nod' earlier without knowing what was to follow.
'Fait Accompli' methinks .....time to move on.
Old 13-08-2014, 08:31 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
'Fait Accompli' methinks .....time to move on.
Exactly right.
Time move up 3metres.. or elsewhere.
Old 13-08-2014, 10:47 AM
alistairsam

that's really unfortunate Bojan.

won't it help moving your dome's location to the other side of your backyard, furthest from the fence? you might get down to about 30 degrees and you usually wouldn't want to image or view below that anyways?

which direction is that?
I have a similar issue with a tall house on my west but doesn't cause much of an issue as I don't image in the west.

its a shame how you're forced to sell your home and move just because of someone else.

Alistair
Old 13-08-2014, 12:20 PM
bojan
amateur

My problem is created partly because the property is on the hill side, so moving away from that monstrosity (to the south) means moving lower down the slope, which doesn't help at all.
And since the whole view to the northern side of the fence is blocked by the barn, moving to either side doesn't help either.
The Vic building regulations are set in such a way that they do not take into account the full set of interests of the neighbours, including those strange requirements like unobstructed view to the sky, or light pollution etc..(he was not obliged to tell anyone of anything, as I have been informed by the planning authority in the council, which I found to be very strange.. but that means I do not have to tell anyone of my intentions either.. which I certainly would because I definitelly want to have a good relationship with people living nearby).

Last edited by bojan; 13-08-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 14-08-2014, 06:25 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

So build an Observatory on stilts .... and don't tell anyone.
The precedent has been set ....

Joking of course but I can feel your frustration ..

I know you're losing the northern aspect, planets etc but how good is your southern view ?
I ask because I have no northern view due to a large volcanic hill. I marginally get a planetary chance at the highest point for a few hours although it is badly compromised by thermal and light problems. I do not have an Eastern at all, CBD, LP and trees to about 80* and my western sky gets to about 35* ona good night.
My southern SCP view and a slice of the sky from Nth 50 to Sth 30 and about 60* wide is it so I just have to be patient and wait till it all comes round next year.
Is this at all an option or viable ?
Old 14-08-2014, 06:56 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Bojan ... great idea you have there ...looks very ' futuristic '

Shades of ' Pine Gap ' .. .. they may even ' sign ' you up to track Satellites .

Nice work ....

Col.
Old 14-08-2014, 07:55 AM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

Lift it up

I would seriously consider to lift your dome 1-1.5 m off the ground.
It will need a more substantial concrete pier as it is higher but for the dome and platform a timber construction will do.
Old 14-08-2014, 08:19 AM
bojan
amateur

Yep..
I am considering going up by 2.5 metres actually.