No obs, raising Harrison

Observation Report - 28 March 2009

Observation Report: 2009/03/28
Time: 2100
Telescope: 4" F5 refractor on alt-az
Seeing: 7 (Pickering)
Transparency: 7
Conditions: moon=New, dew=very light, wind=none

Got the scope out for the first time in months - need a cure for astronomy, have a baby. The main object was to view the shadow transit of Titan on Saturn. But the night was clear so I viewed a few old favorites. I didn't set up the Argo, so some took a bit of hunting.

Saturn - planet in Leo
EP: 5mm, 108x, 45'
Notes: Viewed the shadow transit of Titan. Very crisp view at 108x. Titan was clearly visible just off the bottom edge of the planet, and the shadow could be spotted even if it was very tiny. I hadn't viewed Saturn in many months, and the rings had closed up markedly.

M44 - open cluster in Cancer
EP: 11mm, 49x, 1.7 deg
Notes: Just off Delta Cancri, huge cluster that I couldn't fit into the 11mm Nagler's FOV.

M67 - open cluster in Cancer
EP: 11mm, 49x, 1.7 deg
Notes: After getting a small blurb in Sky & Telescope, I went after this open cluster again for another view. Hard to locate from Melbourne, as I really had to peer to pick up Acubens (mag. 4-ish), but once located I hopped to 60 Cancri and onto M67. The same old concave cluster we viewed last year, with a bright member giving the impression of Pacman's eye.

Went after the Leo galaxies, as well as M104, but no chance from Melbourne. The night looked clear enough, but I couldn't pick up any of the Messier galaxies. Earth Hour... right.

Cruised through Carina - picked out Eta Carina nebula of course, and the stunning open clusters around it. Omega Centauri was very nice and I just got a whiff of Centaurus A - not much detail, just a very indistinct glow.

My favorite naked eye test is how does Musca look? It looked okay so I went after NGC 4833 and pulled it out easily. I couldn't see NGC 4372.
Old 30-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Rob_K

Nice report Doug, I missed the transit even though I was on the observing field! Did see the two Musca globulars though, several times over the weekend. 4833 with the close star is one of my favourites - you need to get out of Melbourne, LOL!!

Cheers -
Old 30-03-2009, 11:56 AM
pgc hunter

Excellent to see you observing again Doug! I was gonna go out on the 28th, but was waaayyyy too tired so I missed the transit.
Old 30-03-2009, 09:03 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Harrison asleep ?

Hi Doug,

Have missed your regular reports. Yep, the presence of little feet in the house puts paid to many night-time pursuits ... yes?

An enjoyable read, glad you enjoyed M67 which is a very interesting cluster from the point of view of its age. Leaving aside the issue of metallicity it is almost "globular" in population (well compared to most of the infant open clusters anyway.

M44 is a terrific object either in binoculars or in a huge telescope. In binoculars you can see the cluster with a nice big frame around it. In a huge 'scope you can have endless fun tracking down the many faint galaxies scattered within the multitudinous spray of bright stars. Some are visible in 25cm. It is almost an exercise in torture ... but good "fun" (of a kind) all the same.

Best,

Les D

P.S in the Avatar, it looks like Harrison is going for your jugular!
Old 31-03-2009, 09:44 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
P.S in the Avatar, it looks like Harrison is going for your jugular!
I've changed it to something more appropriate. I've just told him all males in the family have to follow Richmond in the AFL...
Old 31-03-2009, 01:02 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I've changed it to something more appropriate. I've just told him all males in the family have to follow Richmond in the AFL...
Sounds like child abuse to me