Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
The 16-35 looks great. But it's 3 times the price of the Tokina
Mike I have the 16-35mm F2.8L and it's my workhorse lense for the 7D at work and my 40D at home & when abroad travelling with the limited space one often has overseas. I have no experience with time lapse - just my own feedback on the 16-35mm.

I tried it on my colleagues 5D MkII and it's with this lense I realised the true value in a full sensor with that extra real estate. Performance of the 16-35mm on the 5D was far better than the 14mm F2.8 (very expensive) lense I borrowed to use with my 40D a while back.

Interestingly, the 7D coupled with the 16-35mm was fantastic up to ISO3200 for low light stuff on my recent trip where flash photography is not allowed.

I was in Japan just over a week ago for work and noticed a reasonable price drop in MKIIs and the 7D only for some reason. The 7D is on a run out price in some places according to my colleagues (maybe new model coming out soon?) I am back to Japan for a week next week and I'll investigate at my favourite store in Tokyo. But the strong Yen is not helping the usual bargains.

Cheers,
Darrin...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback, Darren. It does look like a nice lens.

I read another site that says the Tokina definitely doesn't fit on the 5D Mark II - so it rules that one out.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

As long as it is an EF mount, it will fit any Canon camera.

The only lenses the full frame systems won't accept, are the EF-S cheapy plastic ones.

H
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM
koputai (Jason)

Mike I think you're going to have trouble finding a wide zoom faster than the two I mentioned above. All the Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron wide zooms are not for full frame use.

The only non-fisheye lens wider than 16mm that I know of for Canon full frame is the Canon 14mm f/2.8L, well, there's a Bower 14mm f/2.8, but I'd say it's likely to be pretty crappy.

I'd still reckon it comes down to one of these three Canons:

14mm f/2.8L $2,300
16-35mm f/2.8L $1,744
17-40mm f/4 $857

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
koputai (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
As long as it is an EF mount, it will fit any Canon camera.

The only lenses the full frame systems won't accept, are the EF-S cheapy plastic ones.
Not true H, a lot of the third party lenses only fit APS-C, not FF.

Eg.
Sigma DG fit FF and APS-C
Sigma DC fit APS-C only

Likewise for Tokina and Tamron.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

It looks like the Tokina will fit, but with severe vignetting at under 14mm.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=680124
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKPvzL7sAw

Kind of defeats the purpose if you can only use the top end of the zoom. Would be good on the 40D body though.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Jason,

You're probably right.

I've got no clue about third party lenses. I stick with Canon.

H
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Paul Haese

Don't stuff around with zooms Mike, get a prime. The best zoom in the game is the Nikon in the range you are looking at but Canon make some nice primes. An f2.8 lens is affordable and will work well for you. Also it will be affordable too. Consider the 24 f2.8. It is quite wide on a FX camera and is only $400 at DWI.

You don't really need it to be USM for landscape or wide astro work. It needs to be fast in f ratio only.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
RB (Andrew)

Good point Paul, fast prime would be good.

Mike what about the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 for $568 or ($480 from Singapore).

DDPhotographics has them here.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

What's the quality of that lens like though?
Is it 3x worse than the 16-35?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Paul Haese

A prime is a master of that focal length. A zoom is at best a compromise. Zooms are really an advent to cater for a cheaper market. Some zooms rarely are equal to a prime, but these are very rare. Best thing to do is go to a decent camera store and test one out if you can.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
What's the quality of that lens like though?
Is it 3x worse than the 16-35?
Maybe not as good but still should be ok.
From memory Phil (acropolite) isn't that happy with the 16-35, but I'm very happy with it.

If you can stretch the budget I'd recommend the 16-35 as a good wide variable on the 5DII.
But were possible I prefer a prime over variable.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

For starry timelapses, a cheap fast prime will work fine.

If you were interested in printing large, then, it makes sense to spend the dollars and get a good lens.

My landscape work has been done with the 17-40mm f/4L USM. While it's too slow for timelapses, the prints that I make are sharp as. Even at f/16.

H
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The 20mm f/2.8 looks ok for the price. Could be the right balance for wide FOV (on the 5D Mark II) for landscapes, and fast enough for nightscapes.

There's some sample images with the combo of 5D Mark II and 20mm f/2.8 here.

I might still get the 17-40mm L for landscapes too. One day

The 16-35 is like $1400 at DWI - a good price and I'd love to get that lens but I just can't justify spending that much all at once. The 5D M2 is more important to get now
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Poita (Peter)

I'd rent or borrow a body for the one or two important uses if you have events coming up in the next month.
Now would be the worst time to buy a 5D MKII, the new Nikons are out, so a Canon announcement can't be far behind, and I think the MKII bodies will have a *significant* price drop very very soon.

Just buy the lens for now, it won't really change in price, and hold off another month for the body...

As for lenses, I'd get a prime that was faster than 2.8 rather than a zoom.

Just my 2c...

Quote:
I'm almost ready to get a 5D Mark II.

But I still need a wide angle lens to go on it. When I started this thread back in August, I wasn't going to get the 5DMarkII body yet, but now I definitely will (with the Kimberley trip coming up).

From looking at the Tokina 11-16, is it true that this WILL NOT go on the 5D Mark II body?

If that's the case, what are some other recommendations of an ultra-wide (not fisheye) that can go on a 5D Mark II (AND a 40D) body?

Ideally f/2.8 or faster, and around 10-20mm.
Old 14-02-2012, 08:00 PM
gregbradley

If I were buying a 5D Mark ii I would get the Novoflex adapter and a Nikon 14-24mm ED F2.8. But they are expensive but from what I read in several places Canon has nothing to match it.

eglobal show some really low prices for lenses and cameras. Perhaps that may take it closer to the affordable range.

There is a new Canon 28mm I believe. Perhaps that is better than its predecessors.

I agree, it may be better to rent a 5D mark ii if its only for a 2 week trip. I see prices are already falling on 5D mark ii 2nd hand. I have seen some asking $1600 now. Perhaps with the saving you can plough it into the lens.

Also I saw a coupe of 2nd hand Nikon D700's for under $1900. These are supposed to be excellent with low light. Alex's fabulous images are a testament to the quality of this camera. Also this lens gets a good rap the Nikkor 24mm F1.4 ED (expensive though - US$1999):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24mm-f14.htm

You can get a Nikkor 50mm F1.8 very cheaply as well and its a good lens.

I'd say the formula is camera 50%, lens 50%. Faster lenses are going to be better than slower lenses for your use.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 14-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I don't want the 5D Mark II just for the 2 week trip, I want to get one before the Total Solar Eclipse too.

So, the timing is right. I'm hoping the Mark III will be announced in the next 2 months so the price of the Mark II will come down.

If it does, then I might be able to justify the 16-35mm.

No doubt the Nikon has some nice stuff, but I'm not going to switch at this stage - and can't afford the 14-24 even though Alex has shown how brilliant the lens can be in the right hands.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:01 AM
luigi

Quote:
I don't want the 5D Mark II just for the 2 week trip, I want to get one before the Total Solar Eclipse too.

So, the timing is right. I'm hoping the Mark III will be announced in the next 2 months so the price of the Mark II will come down.

If it does, then I might be able to justify the 16-35mm.

No doubt the Nikon has some nice stuff, but I'm not going to switch at this stage - and can't afford the 14-24 even though Alex has shown how brilliant the lens can be in the right hands.
Hi Mike,

If Canon releases a 5DIII I don't think the price of the 5DII will go down at all. Rumors are about a split in the 5D line with a camera with 21mpx and 6fps coming first and a high mpx camera later.

If the first 5DII released is not a high mpx camera the price of the 5DII will even get higher.

About lenses.

I've tried the 16-35 and for nightscapes I hated it. The borders were very bad and I couldn't explain the quality it had for the price.

For the 5DII consider the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm F2.8 it's very cheap and in quality it can be compared to the Nikon 14-24 2.8 I'm saying this because I have them both. The 35mm 1.4 is also very good.

I haven't found a nice wide angle zoom for nightscapes in the 5DII except the Nikon 14-24. For APS-C the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is hard to beat.

Finally the zoom vs prime argument is from the 70s today zooms are in the same category as primes. The 70-200s, Nikon 14-24, Canon 17-55 and several others are comparable in quality to primes in the same range.
Primes are good for luminosity.
Old 15-02-2012, 07:49 AM
gregbradley

Mike,

Hard to say about 5D mk ii prices. I can see them falling in price simply because the bulk of the market wants the newest and latest.
I haven't really been following Nikon D700 prices that much but since the D800 announcement I have seen a number of D700's for sale.

Here is a good site where you can click on various full frame Canon lenses and read the reviews on each. Very handy.

There are also links to Ebay for each of these lenses selling there.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff

Greg.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
Hi Mike,
For the 5DII consider the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm F2.8 it's very cheap and in quality it can be compared to the Nikon 14-24 2.8 I'm saying this because I have them both. The 35mm 1.4 is also very good.
Hi Luigi, you must have an unusually good Samyang, I have had two of the 14mm (one Rokinon, one Samyang) and they were both very, very soft. Way softer than the Nikkor 14-24mm. The lens was fairly well made but had horrible uncorrectable distortion. I wouldn't recommend it unless you could try it for a week first to see if you happened to get a good one.

Mike, I thought you were looking to purchase *now*, as you said hopefully in 2 months time lots of new gear will be out and you will be able to get the gear you want even cheaper!