Old 30-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Narrow Band Reflections

Is it possible to get reflections in the imaging train when using NB filters? I got a couple of new NB filters and seem to be seeing reflections in the image from the reducer.

This S2 image is a stack of 20minute subs shot at x2 binning. If it is a reflection it's also in this single Ha shot. I didn't know they where there until I did a ddp stretch on the images.

Concidering how difficult it is to get any data from an S2 filter, it seems odd to have reflections like this. When it stops raining I'll try again and rotate the camera to see if it moves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (S2.jpg)
123.3 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (Ha.jpg)
62.8 KB36 views

Last edited by Tandum; 30-06-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 30-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Robin,
Try a bright star and see what happens. Also compare to some flats with those filters in place. It will be interesting to find out the cause.
James

Last edited by Moon; 01-07-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 30-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Flats are out, I took a 10minute x2 binned Flat with the light box running full bottle and the result looks like a bias file. I guess there's no S2 coming out of the LEDs in the light box Unfortunately I didn't keep it either, in hind sight a good stretch of that file might have shown something worth seeing.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Robin,

What is the effective F no with the FR in line? The NB filters are reflection filters - they do not work with steep light cones, that could be the issue, it does not look like reflections to me.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Those are from the TAK @ F6 John. Rain is forecast here for the next week so I can't do anything till it clears.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
jase (Jason)

F/6 is fine. Cone isn't steep enough and even then you'd only miss the emission line bandpass ever so slightly. You sure its not present in any of your broadband data sets? SII or for that matter most narrowband filters require flats to be taken at considerably longer exposure times to reach the target ADU. I suspect you'll find that the issue will be corrected by flats. At least if its optical train configuration related anyway. Check there's no shiny edges of accessories in the optical path.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Is your Metal Back Distance correct, it should be 83.7mm from the Reducer/Corrector to the CCD chip.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Tandum (Robin)

It's as close as it's going to get to 83mm with this qhy wheel and I can't find any f6 broadband shots using this camera, all the f8 shots look fine though. I'll need to rotate the camera and compare when the weather clears. Saturday might be ok.

I'll need to look at sky flats for this filter I guess, the light box doesn't work.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Robin I had this very problem when I tried to use T threads in front of the FW. Chenged everything to 48mm on the front side and it went away. I was also using a refractor at F6.

Mark
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Tandum (Robin)

No t-threads to the Tak Mark. Only need them on the newt with the mpcc.

I find it odd that there are reflections when bugger all light gets through the filter in the first place.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Robin, I dont believe mine were reflections. The center of the image was clearly more illuminated then the edges. I do get some internal reflection on the broadband filters when there is a really bright star around but never from the narrowband filters. If you have opened up the aperture in front of the FW I have no idea what could be causing your troubles. Good luck sorting it though .

Mark
Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Tandum (Robin)

They are forecasting the rain to stop for the week-end so I'll have another look then. At least I've learnt not to blindly launch off into an extended imaging session without checking what's coming out as it's coming out
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Got some sky flats tonight and it looks like they will clear these images up nicely. It appears the camera is no longer square which is giving these offset results. I've had it apart several times to clean it after frosting issues, so one of the new qhy tilt adjust nose pieces will fix that issue. It should look like this image. NB newbie alert

All clear in SE QLD for a change ... Just for tonight I'm sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (S2.jpg)
123.3 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (S2-fixed.jpg)
154.7 KB10 views