Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

OMG - Gone to the DARK side... what do I need now?

Dammit - I've crossed the line here and I'm still a tad uncertain about my decision. I've bought a Canon XT 350d. The wealth of control software and astro bits for Canon convinced me that it was going to be a better choice than another Nikon D40 for the same purpose. The 350d was cheaper, and I got it in black too, thank goodness. You lot here seem to think they're OK.

I managed to get the 350D for US$339 so I thought "what the heck". I'll rip out the IR filter and dedicate it to astro - only. The price was for body-only & refurbished. I don't need any lenses.

So - being bare bones, what do I need to get now? If someone could guide me on what I now need to buy to get going with prime focus photography specifically with this Canon I'd be eternally (well, immediately) grateful Cables? Remotes?

What type of CF cards to people normally buy for these (the Nikons use fast SD's - of which I have many)?

Also - I intend to rip out the IR filter straight away. Given that I don't have any Canon lenses at all I don't care if the camera will auto-focus or not afterwards, is it possible just to remove the IR blocking filter off the sensor and be done with it? That was going to be my plan on a Nikon. If I can just remove that piece of glass it'd be wonderful. What do the Hutech boys do in this case - do they remove the original filter and replace it with a full-spectrum clear one or do they just leave the filter out?

Finally - what software should I use to remotely control this thing? I want to set up my lappy to tell the camera to fire off, say, 20 by X-second shots in succession. Can I remote-focus it too?

Arrghhhh.... here's hoping the thing will stay together - unlike Canons I had years ago. LOL!

Last edited by Omaroo; 08-04-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

software-try nebulosity-free demo download and then $45 US to buy if you like(stark labs)

there are tutorials on the net that explain how to take the filter off-but plenty of people here in IIS seem to have done it too

you must get an UV/IR filter though if you do the mod

you need a T adapter and camera adapter

you probably will need a long exposure (Hap Griffen) cable to control the camera-or make your own Michael Covington 's site has the instructions but really you can get by at least in the beginning without one
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks for that.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a Hutech filter and do it myself. I was planning to leave the filter off and go "full spectrum", but I'd gain too much red just outside the Ha bandwidth - which would swamp images.

Oh well - still a cheap buy
Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I use ImagesPlus for remote camera control. You need the USB cable (obviously) and a long-exposure shutter cable. Hutech make these but anyone with some electronics skills can make them (RB made mine).

T-adapter, extension tube or focal reducer/flattener, something to power the camera (either 12v or AC power adapter).

That's about it, apart from the usual guiding, GPUSB, guide software etc, which you'll need regardless of whether it's canon or nikon.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks Mike. Does IP help you remotely focus too?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Yes, I use it all the time for focusing.