Old 18-07-2012, 06:13 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

more on deep sky stacker problem

still dont know if im doing something wrong. Have tried using ARW raws from my sony nex5 in the latest version of DSS ,but though it loads them and attempts to stack them it sees no stars. then when i convert the raws to tiffs and stack them the result is all washed out and can only be restored to near normality by using the curves tool in reverse.have attached unstacked pic and then stack of 10. The histogram of the unstacked pic is normal ( sharply rising then descending sharply in a curve) , the histogram of the stacked pic is nothing like this , it is a broad curve across the screen with a maximum in the middle and some "combing".
philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (unstacked picture.jpg)
19.5 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (10 stacked pics dark subtracted.jpg)
32.6 KB39 views
Old 19-07-2012, 08:37 AM
silv (Annette)

highlight 1 ARW in the file's list in DSS to see the preview:
it will look like a pre-school kid's playing with crayons. no wonder that DSS can't find stars.

that's because the official version of DSS has not yet included the Sony-Nex5 ARW definitions.
download the beta version from here http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeepSkyStacker/ .
and replace the .exe file in your DSS program directory with the beta version.

Now, DSS will show a very dark preview of your ARW images.
Use the Recommended Settings button and make the recommended changes, if any.

Re your TIFF problems: you must have misconfigured some stacking setting.
DSS remembers the last used settings and uses them again unless you change them.
Which ones they are?

To get the default settings back: create a new user on your computer.
Log in as new user and run DSS. Take screenshots or notes of all the stacking tabs (which will now show the default settings) - and amend the settings in your original user account accordingly.

And read about DSS on their page. It is really useful to understand the options.

Good Luck!

I have Sony Nex-5N and since yesterday am using the beta version with ARW images.
The stacked result is very dark. Which is normal for RAW or ARW. TIFF are much brighter.
So I move all 3 color curves to the right until the beginning of the steep rise of that black line lies within the body of the 3 color column. That makes the pic brighter and gives nice contrast, too.
Other than that, I only enhance Saturation to taste. No other processing settings make a useful difference - after I have moved the color curves to the described position.
That might be different for different imaging objects, though. I extensively tested it yesterday with a wide angle image collection of the Milky way, some darks and dark flats.

Last edited by silv; 19-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 19-07-2012, 09:37 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Hi silv,
You've solved all my problems, everything is working fine now. Thanks a million , regards philip