Old 28-01-2009, 04:56 PM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Advice regarding D40 and Skywatcher

I recently became very proud owner of a 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian (and eq mount).. while Im a total beginner and love just observing I also want to try some imagery (with my D40) . While reading some IIS threads it appears as if getting focus (without mods / low profile eyepice) can be an issue with certain setups..

so my question is.. has anyone had specific experience with 10" Skywatcher and the Nikon D40 ?

Im thinking the of getting the T/Ring + Variable Eyepiece Projection Camera Adapter from AOE (sounds like the 'sliding barrel might be useful) .. (or a fixed one from bintel)

I would like to experiment with both prime and eyepiece based photos..
As I'm new to the field and only just got my first scope I'm really not keen to do any non trivial mods ..

- keen newbie
Old 28-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Lurking in the corner with interest, I have a 10 inch Dob and a D40.
Old 28-01-2009, 10:08 PM
luka
Unregistered User

This article describes astrophotography with a dob in detail and may be of interest.

There should be nothing special in connecting D40 to a scope apart that you will have to get a T adapter that will suit Nikon mount.

However, as you mentioned above with dobs you will (most likely) run into focusing problems and will have to move the mirror up.

Also dob's don't have tracking (unless you get them motorised somehow) which means that only short exposures are possible - this will limit you to planetary imaging.

Now I may need a correction with the following statement but I think you will get better planetary images with a webcam than with a DSLR on a dob. Webcams can take lots of exposures in short time (as video) which can then be stacked in software like registax to improve quality.
Old 29-01-2009, 09:26 AM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Hi Luka thanks heaps for the reply..
Ive got a Samson eq mount that I hope I can get happening also..
It works.. Ive just got balance and align it..

I also found this blog which seems to indicate that for prime focusing a mod would be required .. bummer.. although reading the article again I think hes using the barlow with no EP... (interesting)

I would love to be able to try both (prime+EP) but for the price of the T/ring (~$60) Id be happy if I can do either.. I don't actually own a barlow yet but should be able to borrow one for a night if/when needed..

btw. I also have a nexus webcammy thingo that I will try also.. would love to give the SLR a go though..

Last edited by jkrah; 29-01-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: more ramblings..
Old 29-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

BUSTED!

Get your butt back to work, doodlebugs!

Regards,
Humayun & Damo
Old 29-01-2009, 09:44 AM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Unhappy

crap..
Old 31-01-2009, 12:28 PM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Smile not so good afocal attempt

A so need to get the T Ring / Adapter..
Trying to aim a tripod into an eyepiece is not so much fun, and the results not so good.. :-( .. hey its a start for me..

I still had lots of fun last night.. finally saw Saturn.. and was completely blown away (as Im sure other newbies are).. tried and may have succeeded to find sombrero galaxy.. but it was really faint..

I might try to afocal Saturn tonight.. I have a feeling I it wont work very well for me.. but I should still try.. might also try the web cam but its bit of hassle dragging the laptop out as well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_0152a_resize_resize.jpg)
99.6 KB33 views
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Jase,

That's an awesome first attempt, dude.

Now, post your other efforts in the solar system imaging forum.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 AM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Thanks heaps H ..
Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Talking sw dob + DSLR - no mod required

Well I finally committed and purchased a T/Ring, Adapter and Barlow from AOE. Ordered Monday night and it was in my letter box when I got home from work on Thursday .. Thank heaps Raff!!

Looks like I'm lucky enough to not have to mod my dob..

I connected the camera directly (no Barlow) to my 1.25" EP adapter (sorry if I using the wrong terms - hopefully you get my drift).. and as many have found I could not get focus.. but I noticed that the 1.25" EP adapter actually unscrewed from the 2" EP adapter it was connected to .. and that screw thread was the same size as the T/Ring.. I connected the T/ring directly to this (ie no camera adapter or 1.25" EP adapter) and that bought me enough distance to get focus!! I am so happy about no mod req'd!!

Its probably an obvious thing to check, but being a newbie I feel lucky I stumbled across this.. maybe some other dob newbies might find this helpful..

I wasn't so lucky with EP projection.. as none of my EPs actually fit into the camera adapter ..

Next I tried my new (cheap) 3x barlow.. results (for the moon at least) were pretty well what I expected.. yes heaps bigger but also a bit blurrier .. Sill Im hoping the barlow will come in useful with the webcam..

Next steps.. stepping up a notch and using the Samson..
Anyone got any tips balancing a 10" dob (with camera) on a samson mount ? Im thinking it may be a 2 person job..

anyway heres what I got... (unprocessed)
1 - no barlow, 1/320 sec @iso200
2 - 3x barlow , 5 sec @iso800 (Inspiration to setup the mount!!)
3 - 3x barlow, 1/40 sec @iso800
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_0228_resize.JPG)
135.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0271_resize.JPG)
177.0 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0266_resize.JPG)
116.2 KB26 views
Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Very good to see congratulations. You've given me something to look forward too.