Old 27-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Rob52 (Rob)

looking at upgrading

Hi all
I'm looking at purchasing a new scope for my Skywatcher star discovery goto mount.
Currently i'm using a Skywatcher 80/400 refractor
I'm considering either the Skywatcher 102 Mak or Orion 102 Mak.
I know there is the problem with tracking for astrophotography, but will either of those scopes allow me to do DSO.
The main consideration is budget as when on a pension funds are limited.
A possible consideration would be the 127 Mak if it is not to heavy for the Star discovery mount which I think has a limit of 5kg
Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 27-06-2018, 02:37 PM
raymo

Firstly, the tracking of that mount is not bad, good enough for basic astrophotography, but as it is an alt-az mount, field rotation becomes a problem after 15 seconds or so.
Secondly, Maks are almost useless for general deep sky work, as they are
extremely slow photographically, having a focal length of around f/13.
They are great for small bright objects such as planets and bright planetary nebulae, and also for the moon.
I assume that the chromatic aberration that your 80mm has is why you want to upgrade. You could get a used Skywatcher ED80, a very popular 80mm scope, which would almost eliminate the CA.
I would not put a 130mm Newtonian on that mount for AP work, too much
vibration.
A 130mm SCT is shorter, and therefore more stable, but still very slow
at around f/10.
Your alt-az mount restricts you to short exposures, so you need a
reasonably fast scope. I reckon your best choice is the SW ED80
or equivalent.
raymo
Old 27-06-2018, 03:00 PM
spiezzy

hi Rob I use that mount with a sky Watcher 130 reflector black diamond edition and it works a treat as Raymo mentioned you are restricted to 15 to 20 sec exposures but the faster optics in the 130 are f4 the scope itself is well made and easy to collimate and brings up very good images and is quite ok on the planets as well
cheers Pete
Old 27-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Rob52 (Rob)

Thanks guys
Advice is exactly what i have been looking for, I'm going to try some tricks I saw on youtube to help solve the CA with the 80/400 achromatic I have. Mainly black out the edge of the glass and flock the inside of the tube. See if that improves it at all.
The idea of the 130 interests me, but I can't seem to find any as OTA's for sale in Australia and I imagine shipping will be a killer from OS.
Is there a particular brand of 130mm scope, I take it that it is a newtonian.
I was also looking at the Skywatcher 72ed refractor but i have been told it is more of a guide scope than an AP scope

Advise very much appreciated

Rob
Old 27-06-2018, 04:46 PM
spiezzy

hi Rob Oz Scopes have them sorry I said f4 it is a f5 still nice and fast https://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatch...ector-ota.html
Old 27-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Rob52 (Rob)

Thanks so much spiezzy

That looks perfect and fits the budget well.
No problems with weight on the skywatcher star discovery mount ?
I only have a nikon D5500 camera for imaging with the t ring and some spacers. No problem with focusing? I also guess that DSO imaging will be good
At that price i could also afford a laser collimator

thanks again mate very much appreciated
Old 27-06-2018, 05:11 PM
spiezzy

hi Rob yep handles the weight fine I use a canon 450d with no issues I just balance buy sliding the tube up or down with focusing I need a 25mm extension on my camera but that gives me god travel
yep a lazer collimator is a must makes the job much easier its a good little portable set up I just image with 20sec exposures and take heaps of subs 50 to 150 and stack them this image of M27 was taken in far north west NSW on my father inlaws sheep station it is take with the set up i mentioned it is a stack of 220 / 20sec exposures this little mount tracks quite well when set up correctly I love it
cheers Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M27 final .jpg)
199.7 KB51 views
Old 27-06-2018, 05:14 PM
spiezzy

oh forgot to mention I used a Baader MPlll flattener on my 450d iso 800
Old 28-06-2018, 08:57 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Rob, what about forget the OTA and just use your camera with a good lens? i do my nebula imaging that way but from a regular tripod. after all a camera lens and an OTA are the same basic device.. With Live view you can easily do your tripod star alignment and get your target in view too. Look at my astrobin link below for examples I get this way. Worth a try at least with what you have, no costs just time and patience.
Old 28-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Rob52 (Rob)

will take that into consideration Sil I only have a Sigma 18/250 lens and the camera is a nikon d3100

thanks for your advice and the pics look great
Old 28-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Rob52 (Rob)

Spiezzy

Found this for sale looks in great cond cant get a pic of it to show up
Best part is its only 15k from where i live to pick up and $220 with the eq mount. SAXON 13065 EQ2 VELOCITY REFLECTOR TELESCOPE I have done a bit of research and found that the same company that build the skywatcher do saxon as well ... just paint them a different colour.. but i dont think that it comes with the 2 speed focuser not that important he is also throwing in a cheshire collimator

any thoughts mate
Old 28-06-2018, 03:22 PM
spiezzy

hi there Rob
the issue with that scope is the focuser looks like its 1/14 " and would be hard to adapt your DSLR to also the secondary would be small I would think this ota would be only suited for visual also to balance you would have to purchase tube rings as I don't think you can adjust it back to the focuser it is very handy having the dual speed as it is very smooth and pretty precices .
you are correct about saxon coming out of the same factory as skywatcher but different specks I think for the extra dollars you would be getting a better scope with the skywatcher especially if you plan to do basic imaging with it
cheers Pete