Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Adjustable laser point or lp mount

Due to my disability I can't bend to use a telrad or red dot finder, or generally even an eyepiece. I typically use binos for looking skyward and a zwo cam for the telescope for viewing/capture. But getting a target on the sensor is very difficult for me and in the past of course a reddot or telrad is all i needed to get things adjusted instead of hunting randomly around where the goto scope is pointing. So I was thinking a laser pointer mounted on the scope with control knobs like a red dot finder to push the beam l/r and u/d would make a massive difference.

I can't say i've ever seen such a thing but maybe someone out there has. Maybe my best option is to find a cheap sniper rifle scope with adjusters and knock out the optics and show a laser pointer into it.. I only have the use of one arm so dnt want complicated options with adjustable ring clamps and wedges. Just something simple the will work in the dark. Maybe a hacked red dot finder? I don't know how they work and doubt the lasers in them (if any) would work. I already have good lasers I sometimes use. Maybe even a design I could 3D print might work?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:17 PM
bojan
amateur

How about Red Dot finder in combination with mirror.... ? (BTW, RDF doesnt have laser, only red LED)
Something like this.. but not thar riculously expensive...

Lasers (green) are OK and cheap, but restricted (in VIC). They have to be permanently mounted on telescope (not hand-held) and I think even then the permit is mandatory (and quite expensive)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tv-starbeam-howitworks.jpg)
58.8 KB19 views

Last edited by bojan; 11-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Due to my disability I can't bend to use a telrad or red dot finder, or generally even an eyepiece. I typically use binos for looking skyward and a zwo cam for the telescope for viewing/capture. But getting a target on the sensor is very difficult for me and in the past of course a reddot or telrad is all i needed to get things adjusted instead of hunting randomly around where the goto scope is pointing. So I was thinking a laser pointer mounted on the scope with control knobs like a red dot finder to push the beam l/r and u/d would make a massive difference.

I can't say i've ever seen such a thing but maybe someone out there has. Maybe my best option is to find a cheap sniper rifle scope with adjusters and knock out the optics and show a laser pointer into it.. I only have the use of one arm so dnt want complicated options with adjustable ring clamps and wedges. Just something simple the will work in the dark. Maybe a hacked red dot finder? I don't know how they work and doubt the lasers in them (if any) would work. I already have good lasers I sometimes use. Maybe even a design I could 3D print might work?
Hi Sil,

Just so I understand best - the reason you want to move the beam l/r and u/d is for initial alignment, yes?

If so I'd go for an Orion Slo-Motion (or generic version) adjustable mounting.
It provides a very smooth and precise l/r and u/d motion over a reasonable range (check if enough) in a very small package with largeish sized adjustment knobs and is mounted using typical photographic size threads of 1/4-20. Then bolt down your laser pointer and then on to your scope and adjust away.

I will add a pic in a sec...

EDIT: added a pic from Google images of the mount, shown mounted on top of a scope. It would probably be best (make adjustment easier) if the unit were turned around to face the other way than that shown in the picture so that the forward facing knob shown (which controls the up and down motion and is pointing up the telescope in the pic, presumably), was turned to face rearward. Of course the left/right motion knob would then change sides to the left hand side, if that suits. Then screw the laser on top - hopefully you already have one with a 1/4 inch thread.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (slomoadapter00814.jpg)
67.4 KB27 views

Last edited by JA; 11-05-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Hoges (John)

I think I made something like what you're describing years ago - I used two appropriate sized bits of plastic pipe about 3/4" wide and spaced 4 inches apart attached to a bit of wood shaped to fit the finder bracket. I just drilled and tapped three screws into each bit of plastic to hold and adjust the lazer - worked a treat but looked pretty agricultural. You can still buy them like this one https://agenaastro.com/agena-laser-p...ixen-foot.html

I've had absolutely no trouble getting lazers off ebay that are marked as less than 1mw posted into Vic - which I think is the legal max. One or two of them are obviously a lot more than 1mw but I live out in the country and use them with care and discretion.

The biggest problem I have found is they often don't function well when they get cold - something to do with the frequencies shifting of the led's - I used to always think it was the batteries but it wasn't.

I use a red dot finder these days to avoid any fuss, but it was a very quick and easy way to point a telescope. Great to point things out to friends and family but if I'm going to a star party or public area, I leave them at home.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Wavytone

There is a type with ajustable alignment screws up/down and left/right

https://www.laserglow.com/GGE

Vixen also sold one years ago - I had one but sold it at a time when I had no use for it.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

How about just buying scope with GoTo ?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Wavytone

I was going to suggest Push-To... having had one with encoders, Nexus II and Sky Safari - IMHO this was by far the best setup - push it where you want and Sky Safari shows exactly where it’s pointing.

No need for finderscopes, circles or lasers.

But I suspect a push-to setup is beyond the budget of the OP.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Hoges (John)

Push to's have worked pretty well for my gear - but I've made mine by scribing 360 degree marks on a base and adding an adjustable pointer to the bottom of my mount (diy wooden alt/az mounts). And using either a photocopied protractor on the altitude circles for elevation or one of those electronic altitude gizmos that attach with magnets. Read off the alt/az from Sky safari and manually push the scope - most of the time, the object is in the eyepiece, if not, it's just outside the field. Was cheap and simple to make although a little time consuming. I just need to remember when cleaning the laminate surfaces with isopropyl, don't erase my numbers!!!
Old 14-05-2018, 10:48 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

The two loops with three screws in each time of mount is available from Lumicon for about $50. Really nicely made in machines anodised aluminium. Have one plus green laser, tried it as a finder found it pretty useless. Good for indicating to others but not much use for anything else.

Try:
https://farpointastro.com/shop/lumic...ket-refractor/
Old 17-05-2018, 10:15 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
How about Red Dot finder in combination with mirror.... ? (BTW, RDF doesnt have laser, only red LED)
Something like this.. but not thar riculously expensive...

Thanks, thats about the closest viable option unfortunately.

For the smart ass comments I got the Question I asked is what I wanted answered. I know the other options and have them but without going into detail explaining to everyone why they are completely useless in my case I asked the one question that needed to be asked and answered.

thanks again bojan, like everything else for disabled people I'll have to try to save and overpay for something that works.
Old 17-05-2018, 11:43 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
.... I'll have to try to save and overpay for something that works.
Glad that this will work for you...
However, IMO no need to pay that much...

This one is quite reasonably priced. You only need to add articulated mirror (or someone can do it for you).

BTW.. this is neither holographic nor laser device! It is just LED and mensicus, reflective on one side, projecting the image of small opening in front of LED to infinity.

Last edited by bojan; 17-05-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:16 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Glad that this will work for you...
However, IMO no need to pay that much...

This one is quite reasonably priced. You only need to add articulated mirror (or someone can do it for you).

BTW.. this is neither holographic nor laser device! It is just LED and mensicus, reflective on one side, projecting the image of small opening in front of LED to infinity.
Even better! I should be able to knock up mirror holder to 3d print . I was only thinking laser as its what I have, I should have a non function rdf somewhere in the garage I should dismantle and maybe modify, but prefer something with minimal effort for me and lets me see well from a distance.