Old 26-07-2013, 08:48 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

PHD and Dithering question

Ok I have not really used dithering before and tonight I linked PHD and Nebulosity and set dither to small and settle at 0.1. I set 6 min exposures and 13 exposures. After nea 50 mins I am only on the second image. And the dither process zooms to be going on and on.... What is taking so long or what have I done wrong? I have a 10" LX200 GPS scope and have now turned of dithering and started my imaging session again...

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated

Mardy
Old 26-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Have you set the settle value too low?
What is the PHD graph doing while this is happening?
Old 27-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

phd/Neb will only restart imaging if the measured tracking error is within the value you set. If there is some sort of bias (eg polar alignment is off a bit) or you have a long guide focal length, it might rarely/never get within 0.1 pixels in both axes and will sit there waiting for tracking to improve (you will see a message in the lower left of Neb saying something along the lines that it is requesting tracking offset).

just set the settle parameter to the smallest value that will trigger a resumption of imaging within a reasonable time - fwiw I use .3. It can help to optimise polar alignment.