Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

M42

Ok, some will call this cheating, since the data for this image was taken using Lightbucket's LSB002 8" widefield astrograph. 6 x L @ 120 sec, 4 each of 120 sec subs for RGB. I also did a 2nd set of subs on a different night, 6 x L @ 6 seconds and 4 each of 6 sec subs for RGB for the core section. I stacked each nights images in Maxim DL and used the digital development filter and then manually combined them in Photoshop and blended in the core section using a mask.

Not perfect, I've clipped the Black point I know, I did my best. I suck at Astro PP, but I can only get better. Onto the image:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/...f7d9e33d28.jpg

Any CC etc welcome. *puts his newbie hat on*.

Dave

edit: I'm not sure why the image isn't displaying in thread, but is appearing as a link, is it cos of the size? I'm also not sure why the direct link in flickr is going to the small size, here's link to the 1024 res image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpa...63746/sizes/o/
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
TrevorW

Small image have you got a bigger one

Cheers
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great shot David. Nothing to shy about. Right up there with the bests.
Old 13-10-2010, 06:38 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Small image have you got a bigger one

Cheers
http://www.ecn.net.au/%7Edpastern/im...bine_small.jpg

Is that better? I'm trying to keep the dimensions down so I can avoid overcompression.

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Liz

Beautiful image Dave!! Love the soft nebulous swirly bits at bottom.
Old 13-10-2010, 10:50 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Beautiful image Dave!! Love the soft nebulous swirly bits at bottom.
Thanks Liz. I'm a newbie to this, I'm happy with it, even if it isn't perfect from a tech point of view. Gonna pick up some 8" x 12" prints today @ lunch *grins*.

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 11:45 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Good stuff mate. I'd be proud of that shot.

Glad you're still keeping in touch with all things astro.
Old 13-10-2010, 01:26 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Good stuff mate. I'd be proud of that shot.

Glad you're still keeping in touch with all things astro.
I'm reasonably happy, but you know what I'm like, I'm a wee bit of a perfectionist. And I hate learning new things too. Once I know more about maxim dl and image processing, I'll be happier.

yeah, just got my celestron battery back from repairs (they replaced it with a new unit, top notch support and service from Celestron's Australian distributers and I'm very impressed with them), so I hope to get out more with the scope.

I've made the decision to keep the current setup visual only - the focuser is just not up to scratch on the Equinox 100ED - it slips even with the Andrews 80 degree 30mm 2" eyepiece in it. And yes, I've tightened the crayford focuser screws. Andrew's support on the problem hasn't really been great imho and I haven't bothered sending the OTA back to them. I'll just bide my time and save up for a Takahashi :-)

I still need help with drift aligning etc, so we'll need to sort out a night when you can pop over Troy and help me out. Missus and bub are welcome of course.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 08:14 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

That's an awesome image - very crisp!
Old 13-10-2010, 09:10 PM
TrevorW

Very nice shows up the colours and detail well
Old 13-10-2010, 09:14 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwjager View Post
That's an awesome image - very crisp!
Taken with a rental scope courtesy of the excellent www.lightbuckets.com setup. I used LSB002 which is an 8" newtonian astrograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Very nice shows up the colours and detail well
Thanks Trevor. There's better versions of M42 out there, but it's a start. I'd really love to be doing this with my own setup. If I can get accurate polar alignment and get my guide scope working, I should be able to do this. Should being the operative word ;-)

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 09:19 PM
h0ughy (David)

not bad - especially given the weather . its better than anything i have produced of this
Old 13-10-2010, 09:24 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Thanks Dave. The scope used to get the data is in New Mexico though ;-) I'm the blame for all the wet weather brissie is having - since I got my scope battery back on Friday.

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Very sweet image Dave. It has everything going for it. Clear and crisp without looking over processed. The data you have captured is very very good and your processing has done it justice. Well done.
Old 14-10-2010, 12:04 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Thanks Doug - very kind words. I was worried about the black point (it is clipped), and over sharpening. When I look @ 100%, I can see elongated stars as I move away from the center of the image, so I don't think a field flattener is being used on that scope and I should raise it with lightbuckets.

I feel very insecure about my PP cos it's all so alien to me. astro processing is so so so so different to normal photography. There's so many PP tricks and techniques and learning them (and remembering them) is hard!

Dave
Old 22-10-2010, 11:08 AM
OzRob (Rob)

That is a nice image but I couldn't resist playing with it a little, after all you do appear to be asking for help...

I don't know much about processing but I have found a couple of things that I find useful. If you have PS v5 there is a tool called Shadows/Highlights under Image>Adjustments. You can use it to bring out dimmer areas (increasing shadows amount) and reducing light in brighter areas (increasing highlights amount). The latter brings out details in the core of your image quite well.

Another useful tool is Noel Carboni actions for PS. I used one of these actions to smooth out the darker areas in your image a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5074863746_66a35ff6b4_o.jpg)
161.4 KB55 views
Old 22-10-2010, 11:41 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

whoa Rob that is AWESOME!!! I *knew* that someone could do more with the image than me. That has bought out a lot of fine detail, and I think I might go play with the image a bit more myself. I have Noel's tools, and Photoshop CS2, can you outline exactly what you did, so I can learn (pretty please)?

Dave
Old 22-10-2010, 12:23 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
whoa Rob that is AWESOME!!! I *knew* that someone could do more with the image than me. That has bought out a lot of fine detail, and I think I might go play with the image a bit more myself. I have Noel's tools, and Photoshop CS2, can you outline exactly what you did, so I can learn (pretty please)?

Dave
I don't think that version 2 has the Shadows/highlight feature. However, if you did have a version that does you go to Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights... and play with the two sliders until you are happy with the image. Remember to have preview selected so that you can see the result before applying the change.

After I adjusted the shadows and highlights I used the deep space noise reduction tool on your image. I would suggest just playing with all the actions just to see what they do.
Old 30-10-2010, 09:08 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

OK, following some advice, I tried a combination of HDR using Photomatix 4.01 (buy it now why the US dollar is so low!!!) and some shadows/highlights in CS2 and the deep space noise reduction action from Noel Carboni's tools (I bought this over a year ago and to be honest, had forgotten that I had it lol).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/...5370a307_o.jpg

It's a big image (800kb). It's probably over processed now, but it does show considerably more whispy details.

What do you guys think?

Dave
Old 30-10-2010, 09:30 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Clearly, I have some distance to go to match that. Beautiful!