Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Question Advice on Tamron and Tokina lenes for Astro widefields

We would like to do some widefield astro imaging next time we go on holiday at a dark sky site. We will be using our Canon 40D on a fixed tripod.

At this point we have an Canon 18-55mm lens and that's it.

We want to get another couple of lenses as cheap as possible just to get us up and running then we will purchase dedicated lenses further down the track.

A friend has two older lenses which he doesn't use any more (we're not sure of the mount type on the lenses at this time) Does anyone know if they would be suitable to use on the 40D with appropriate adapters and that they can be used manually and would they reach infinity focus.

The lenses are

Tamron 24mm f2.5 Adaptall

Tokina 35-105 f3.5-4.3 RMC

Also if possible can anyone suggest an approx maximum price to pay for each of the lenses if they are suitable.

We hope someone has some suggestions

Thanks .. Barb

Last edited by Tamtarn; 08-07-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Lester

Hi Barb and David, from my experience the Tokina lenses were good for astro photography, although I had 28mm and 200mm, not zoom type. I used them on Minolta 35mm SLRs. I had a Tamron zoom that performed okay 28-85mm (I think it was) but not as sharp as the fixed lenses.

If you can get the adaptor to fit to your camera for not too much then try the lenses and from the results work out a price.

All the best.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Thanks Lester your comments are much appreciated

We have read quite a few reviews on Tamron and Tokina and for a cheaper lens they seem to get some good feedback.

At this stage he has suggested price of somewhere around $60 - $80 for each lens. Does this seem a fair price ?

Thanks again
Barb
Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Lester

Hi Barb, in todays price of things 60-80 IMO you could not go wrong. Providing there are not any visible scratches in the optics. If the lenses have had protection filter (UV type) fitted to them from new there is every chance the optics are like new.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Ian Robinson

I have a Tamron Adaptall SP LD IF 300mm f2.8 that I bought via ebay and they come up every now and again and are a great buy with very optics and are a great astroimaging lens . I has a AD2all - EF adapter made for it so I now have that and the AD2all - MD adapter so I can use on my 40D or my venerable XD5.
I picked up a Canon 300 f2.8 hardcase to put it in too.
All under $800 which beats the price asked for secondhand Canon and Sigma 300mm f2.8 lenses.
If you see one advertised on Ebay, bid on it, as these are first rate.

A nice cheapy is a Soligor 135mm f2, I've one with a FD mount that I use with FD-EF adapter what works very nicely for astroimaging on the 40D (Becomes 200mm f3 with the adapter). There's was one on Ebay the other day http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT, .

Another good lens to look out of is a Tamron SP
LD IF 80-200mm f2.8 adaptall-2 30A. Scarce as hens teeth and another top astroimaging performer from what I've read.

Look them up on Ebay and see what they sell for, that would give you a good indication on how much they are worth as secondhand lenses.
The Tamron 24mm f2.5 will have a max apeture under 10mm , so not so useful for astronomical imaging IMO.