Old 02-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Mosaics?

Hi Folks,

I'm just starting out on my first mosaic, and looking for suggestions, tips & tricks on the process to make tricolour NB images of large objects.
For my first go I've attempted a nice bright target ie: Eta Carina, and this is just two panels on my SV70T, with rough post-processing only.

I tried Photomerge in PS 2017 but it aligned my 3 NB file sets out of register.

Then I found Sara Wager's tutorial and using MSICE very helpful and easy.

What's best, do you merge the files prior to stretching? If so in what format do you load them in the package?

All input welcome, thanks in advance

Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (S2HaO3_iis.jpg)
197.6 KB45 views

Last edited by Andy01; 02-02-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Mosaicing pre-stretching, PixInsight does that quite well.
Firstly you mosaic register the two of them together, then you register the individual images against the mosaic image which creates the individual images within the larger mosaic region. The you get those larger images use a script called something like GradientMergeMosaic or something.

I personally have been doing a quick process on each panel and then stitch them together using AutopanoGiga and then finish the processing.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Timely thread Andy, i have a 4 panel mosaic of the M42 region in my long processing queue.

So Colin, PI can mosaic all the images BEFORE stretching and other processes? Wow if so.

But if not, or for users without such magic, how do you consistently apply adjustments? Even a minor difference would look bad. Or does everyone apply PS etc adjustments at the new larger image scale, say 12000 piels by 9000?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Timely thread Andy, i have a 4 panel mosaic of the M42 region in my long processing queue.

So Colin, PI can mosaic all the images BEFORE stretching and other processes? Wow if so.

But if not, or for users without such magic, how do you consistently apply adjustments? Even a minor difference would look bad. Or does everyone apply PS etc adjustments at the new larger image scale, say 12000 piels by 9000?
PI will mosaic pre-stretched and it can do a pretty good job at it too. On big projects I've personally found it easier in the long run to do quick processing on each frame (stretch) and then, stitch them together and then process that image until complete.
Old 13-02-2017, 10:54 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
PI will mosaic pre-stretched and it can do a pretty good job at it too. On big projects I've personally found it easier in the long run to do quick processing on each frame (stretch) and then, stitch them together and then process that image until complete.
Came to the same conclusion myself, get your linear processing done first, stitch then non-linear processing on final image
Old 13-02-2017, 11:49 AM
bojan
amateur

Have you tried using Registar from Aquila Imaging ? Works like a charm.
It was (is?) one of Avandonk's favourite tools.
Old 13-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Have you tried using Registar from Aquila Imaging ? Works like a charm.
It was (is?) one of Avandonk's favourite tools.
Thanks for the heads up Bojan - I'll certainly give it a try, but $179US ouch!
Still - if it works well ...

I was really hoping though for a dedicated mac based solution.

Colin - thanks for the heads up - I gave the trial version of Autopanogiga but for some inexplicable reason it says it supports fits files but doesn't support B&W images - and I shoot mono. It's also got a VERY complicated interface.

I've also played around a little a bit with the trial PT Gui and for $100 or so it may be worthwhile.

The adventure continues....
Old 13-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I cannot say that I've ever tried FITS files in it but you are right it doesn't deal with mono images. VERY easily fixed though, just make them RGB It has no issues with b&w rgb files.
Old 13-02-2017, 12:20 PM
bojan
amateur

I think RegiStar does everything in demo mode, only saving is disabled.
However, I was doing copy/paste the screen.... and re-assembled the RegiStar processed mosaic.
Old 21-02-2017, 08:38 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Hugin (free) can do the trick if you put time/effort into it; I've used it for years to do stitches that were otherwise impossible at the time. 16bit tiffs not a problem. has automation that isn't too great so a good stitch will take you time. ICE is dead easy and fast, its what I use most these days having moved from autopano giga.