Old 16-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Gama

Prepare to be rocked.

WoW, i just spent some time on the web again, and emailing with others, and there seems to be a CCD manufacturing infulx lately.
There are new models being designed and released from many manufacturers, so theres going to be some great price drops across the board, and some have already dropped.
I, as an imager, think its great that we have so many choices now and still have the benifit of buying a camera that has the power and sensitivity of the earlier high priced models.
You have SBIG, Apogee QHY, Orion and others bringing out some new camera models which are well priced.
Once upon a time the big mono's were (and some still are) very expensive, but thats all changing.
Prices are tumbling, and competition is just one of the reasons, but for what ever reasons, it will be good to see the newer models, as they have newer and better technologies designed into them.
Check the camera manufacturers web site for these new models, and then imagine what the next models after these will be like.

Now if only Kodak make some decent low noise sensors ..

Theo.

Last edited by Gama; 19-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

Geez, I knew I shoulda waited before I ordered my QHY8. The MKII looks more convenient to use.

But seriously, they'd both be the same as far as image quality is concerned, the QHY8 MKII just looks a lot closer physically to the Starlight Xpress product.

The computer controlled thermal regulation would be nice, will the regulator be internal rather than in an external box as it is now?

Cheers,

Rob
Old 16-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Gama

Your right Rob, i myself have the QHY-8 Mrk-I and have no problem with it.
This is just more suited to those more finicky.
One advantage the MRK-I has, is its only 55mm length as apposed to 110mm. Im not sure if it includes the fan, but its not much if not anyway..

The biggest advantage, and what i like with the QHY-8 MRK-I is that you can have only 1 glass filter in the light path, plus you can remove it and clean the sensor as a DSLR.
But waiting for the next model is not the right way to go. When do you purchase ?, theres a new model all the time. As we speak, theres probably a MRK-III being pondered..or a MRK-IV, who knows.

The temp regulation will be external to keep noise down. The MRK-II has a built in Temp sensor that sends the data to the controller and computer (If connected), which then sends the corrections back to the camera for the temperature to be maintaned.

Theo.

Last edited by Gama; 19-06-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 17-06-2008, 06:30 AM
gbeal

And, any info on the rumoured QHY9 the mono version?
Old 17-06-2008, 08:28 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Your right Rob, i myself have the Mrk-I and have no problem with it.
This is just more suited to those more finicky.
One advantage the MRK-I has, is its only 55mm length as apposed to 110mm. Im not sure if it includes the fan, but its not much if not anyway..

The biggest advantage, and what i like with the MRK-I is that you can have only 1 glass filter in the light path, plus you can remove it and clean the sensor as a DSLR.
But waiting for the next model is not the right way to go. When do you purchase ?, theres a new model all the time. As we speak, theres probably a MRK-III being pondered..or a MRK-IV, who knows.

The temp regulation will be external to keep noise down. The MRK-II has a built in Temp sensor that sends the data to the controller and computer (If connected), which then sends the corrections back to the camera for the temperature to be maintaned.

Theo.
Theo
I must be one of the finicky ones. I tried the QHY8 in its present form and what put me off was the naked chip and the clumsy drying mechanism involved. Sorry I saw that as a design flaw compared to other cameras. However this new incarnation is exactly what I wanted. Ill be one of the first cabs off the rank when they come out.
Regards, Allan
Old 17-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Gama

There is no drying mechanism Allan, as said earlier elsewhere, people had a nasty habbit of opening the CCD chamber while it was powered, and of course, moisture gets in. If this happens, just a simple clean is required. If the camera is left sealed though, then you have no trouble at all.
I prefer access to my CCD sensor for cleaning or the ability to remove ALL forms of optical glass/filter in line with the light path, and install a specific filter. An example is that even the Clear filter has a limitation on the spectrum pass band with the IR. But the CCD will actually be sensitive way beyond the limitation of many filters currently out there.
The Sony Sensor is very good into the deep IR band, and this is one reason it was manufactured like this. These cameras are also used in other areas within the industry, and not just limited to Astronomy.

Any hoots, as you said Alan, each man to his own..
Theo.
Old 17-06-2008, 01:18 PM
allan gould

Theo
Dont get me wrong - as I said over the phone I may still purchase one of the original QHY8s - just too many choices!!!!!!
Allan
Old 17-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Gama

Either way Allan, you have plenty of time. Seems nearly every week theres a new Camera on the market. Like a kid in a lolly shop.

Theo.
Old 17-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
And, any info on the rumoured QHY9 the mono version?

Yes, there is also a mono comming out too, this is estimated at August, but most likely the month after..
It is a 8.2Mpixel Mono and the pixel size is 5.4 um, but the price is estimated at around 2000 Euro, so it is expensive. I am trying to see if i can get them a little better than Europe, but im still in negotiations with QHY.

Details and specs are hard to find at the moment, but once i get some i'll post them.

I'll see if i can get some pictures of the cameras currently under wraps......

Theo.
Old 17-06-2008, 06:28 PM
allan gould

Its always good when the new models come out because it means two things.
1) More choice for the consumer and 2) the manufacturer is listening to what the customers want. Either way these models are great value.
And that can't be bad.
Old 19-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Gama

I'm hoping the larger manufacturers hear the demand Allan for lower priced cameras, especially mono versions for us "Common" imagers.
I have been waiting for low priced large frame Mono sensor for many years now, and prices for them have tumbled down to a more respectable level.
There should be cameras not only for the scientific mobs, but also the amauter astronomy mob as well, and sounds like their finally listening.

Adaptive Optics is another area which is expensive, and i only know of 2 that are producing them, but they are very expensive. I think this is another area that needs competition.

Theo
Old 19-06-2008, 10:57 PM
netwolf

I am looking forward to seeing the new Qhy8 camera. This is the ideal step up from the DSLR world. I think the Qhy9 Mono Kodak CCD camera version would be a nice addition also. I think this might really send a shock wave through to the bigger players.

Theo do you know if Qhy looking into a Adaptive Optics solution? Perhaps building a interconnect system to work with the Sbig AO system?

Regards
Fahim
Old 19-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Gama

I was talking to him about this, and he did say that he was investigating the ways into shifting the star image (Mirror or glass).
He has it on a back burner, and as i said, its only talk at the moment.

I really want to see the new SBIG units, they should really raise some hell once released. Just hope the pricing is realistic.

Theo.
Old 20-06-2008, 12:27 AM
rsbfoto

Hi,

You should also look at the www.qsimaging.com cameras. According to many reviews very very low noise cameras ...

Old 20-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Gama

I actually came to holding the phone in my hand to order one when they were first released, but i couldnt find the sensor i wanted. The KAF9000 is the better Mono sensor from the Kodak range for large frame sensitivity, but i cant find it in the range available... Oh well.

Theo.
Old 20-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

I am happy with the version of the QHY8 i bought , having said that i would like to see it come out with a guiding chip built in, it would make a good camera even better...... so have the QHY engineers looked in this direction?
Old 20-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I am happy with the version of the QHY8 i bought , having said that i would like to see it come out with a guiding chip built in, it would make a good camera even better...... so have the QHY engineers looked in this direction?
Not allowed to. That idea is patented by SBIG.

Paul
Old 20-06-2008, 07:35 PM
monoxide

hmmm, its a bit sad to have a monopoly on a self guiding camera..
i seriously considered getting an sbig but couldnt justify the pricing.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Not allowed to. That idea is patented by SBIG.

Paul

Pauls correct, but what gets up my jib, is how you can patent the fact that you add another sensor close to the first. Your not stealing any proprietery info like that. Geez, some one else may patent the way you place the sensor near the front glass filter !.

Theo.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:35 PM
CometGuy

Theo,

The mark II looks very promising!

BTW How is the KAF-11002 model coming along?

Terry