Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 29-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Well I didn't' think the eyepiece would be that narrow FOV

Bought a baader zoom eyepiece for three reasons

1. Taking in the car as a convenience not to have to travel with a case of eyepieces
2. Birding with the 72MM ED scope
3. Using for Ha with the 72mm when out for the day, again converniece

I am very happy with it, just the FOV

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/e...22--2%22).html

Is it me or is it very narrow, I really only use 2" eyepieces and those I have that are 1.25 appear a lot wider, thanks

On another site someone said, but I can not find out what my eyepieces are to compare, is this normal or narrow, I know I now sound really dumb bit I thought (never gave it any thought really) that the numbers should be the other way round, the 24mm should be the widest and the 8mm the narrowest ??

24mm - 42°
20mm - 49°
16mm - 52°
12mm - 58°
8mm - 70°
Old 30-07-2019, 07:35 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

This is just the way zooms work. To achieve 'normal' fields of view at all settings would require the eyepiece to be huge, heavy and horrendously expensive.
Old 30-07-2019, 09:08 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I agree with Morton The Baader also has the widest FOV range for any zoom eyepiece. It's optical quality is also excellent and performs really well across all scope types, fast Newts & refractors as well as Maks and SCT, which is remarkable. I've had a couple of zoom EPs, and looked through many more, and the Baader is just about as good as it gets for zoom eyepieces. There may be others that perform just as well, and maybe even better, but I haven't seen one, and I'm sure others will reference these.

Jeremy, I also use this Baader zoom with my Daystar Quark. Just about the only application I have for a zoom eyepiece.

Alex.
Old 30-07-2019, 01:06 PM
pgc hunter

I was considering getting this Baader Zoom at one point, but the tiny FOV at the long FL end put me off. 42*? Yuck. Completely defeats the experience of low power sweeping, both astro and terrestrial. Won't be in possession of a zoom any time soon that's for sure.
Old 30-07-2019, 01:38 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I use a different eyepiece for low power sweeping. Where the zoom works really well is in the 16-8mm range in my C8. I can dial in the optimum magnification/exit pupil for the object I'm looking at taking into account the brightness of the object and the sky conditions.

My fixed focal length eyepieces in that range are 20mm, 14mm & 11mm (all wide angle). It's amazing how often the optimum magnification falls between 14mm and 11mm in the C8. The zoom lets me pick the sweet spot in between.

On good nights I can zoom right in to 8mm and at 72° AFOV I don't feel any need for a separate wide angle eyepiece.
Old 30-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
I was considering getting this Baader Zoom at one point, but the tiny FOV at the long FL end put me off. 42*? Yuck. Completely defeats the experience of low power sweeping, both astro and terrestrial. Won't be in possession of a zoom any time soon that's for sure.
I don't think you can be that specific, you have not taken in to account the other reasons for having it

1. Convenience, if IO carried the same but in prime eyepieces I would have 8 in the car

2. When out I always carry my ed 72mm in the car with Quark, thie eyepiece allows simple and fast access to Ha when out and when visiting nature reserves, the convenience of a birding scope
Old 30-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Thanks all
Old 31-07-2019, 06:14 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I don't think you can be that specific, you have not taken in to account the other reasons for having it

1. Convenience, if IO carried the same but in prime eyepieces I would have 8 in the car

2. When out I always carry my ed 72mm in the car with Quark, thie eyepiece allows simple and fast access to Ha when out and when visiting nature reserves, the convenience of a birding scope
I know very well the reasons for owning a zoom. But those don't outweigh the terrible low power AFOV in my opinion.
Old 31-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
I know very well the reasons for owning a zoom. But those don't outweigh the terrible low power AFOV in my opinion.
Hmmm....

I could accept that as being right IF you could only afford either a zoom OR some cheaper prime eyepieces both adding up to about £200, either or....

However if like me and most have a good set of primes and want the zoom for birding and general use and ease of carrying in the car then there is no "outweigh" to consider.

I was simply surprised by the narrow FOV
Old 31-07-2019, 10:00 PM
happycamper

Jeremy, I felt the same about the Baader Zoom. Great eyepiece, but AFOV was a bit "slim". I much prefer the Leica ASPH Zoom. Its AFOV is ~60deg@17.8mm - ~80deg@8.9mm.
Old 31-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
Jeremy, I felt the same about the Baader Zoom. Great eyepiece, but AFOV was a bit "slim". I much prefer the Leica ASPH Zoom. Its AFOV is ~60deg@17.8mm - ~80deg@8.9mm.
I would agree having looked at it and whilst i am more than happy to spend any sum I don't waste money and for me that would be a waste, nice though but not for perhaps 10 uses a year
Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
........ I much prefer the Leica ASPH Zoom. Its AFOV is ~60deg@17.8mm - ~80deg@8.9mm.
Nice eyepiece H/Camper

I have the Swarovski 9.2mm-18.4mm Zoom which has an AFoV of 65º throughout its zoom range..... it is now my outreach eyepiece...

Pin sharp and great contrast...... 101x - 202x in the Dob and 131x - 262x in the DK. More than a match for my Pentax and TV eyepieces in sharpness.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

It's worth noting that the Leica and Swarovski zooms have a 2x focal length range, whereas most zooms like the Baader are 3x (8-24mm). The Baader's performance in the 16-8mm range is not far away at a much lower price plus you have the option of using the 24-16mm range as well if you want to.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I've got Baader zoom and I can confirm it's great in terms of image quality. Yet at 24mm it has narrow FOV so for that I've got ES68 24mm. I use Baader zoom to split doubles (quite often with Baader x2.25 triplet barlow), tight OC's and on Moon where I do not need 24mm. It's quite convenient actually and I like it.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
I've got Baader zoom and I can confirm it's great in terms of image quality. Yet at 24mm it has narrow FOV so for that I've got ES68 24mm. I use Baader zoom to split doubles (quite often with Baader x2.25 triplet barlow), tight OC's and on Moon where I do not need 24mm. It's quite convenient actually and I like it.
Read that Don Pensack rates the BAADER ahead of the Pentax XL Zoom (which he NO longer recommends)..
I have a Vixen Zoom I love when testing the seeing, or on its own merits..never had the Baader but soo many swear by it..I should get one to try as I usually do with eyepieces(being an EP JUNKY).
BIGJOE.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
I have to say for convenience it is very good

I think it is a similar to photo zoom lenses. I have been into photography since I was 11, now 62, there was a time when primes beat zooms 100% all the time,l now as a sports photographer my Sigma 150-600 sport never comes off my camera and I don't in fact have a prime, I wonder how long it will be before eyepieces are like that
Old 20-08-2019, 07:28 AM
castor

The Leica zoom, which has a range of 9-18mm, has an AFOV of about 58 degrees at low power and 78 degrees at high power. It is said to be the ultimate eyepiece.

The Baader zoom is still much nicer than the old Vixen Lanthanum zoom which truly was drinking straw like at lower powers.
Old 21-08-2019, 04:23 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

Baader Zoom is by far the best bang for buck zoom on the market. For the price you get a bit of everything. Optically it performs way outside its value and as for FOV you will never get the exotic FOV that fixed eps give you. If fov is a must then look at a Turret with a selection of eps to suit. $$$$
I know this is an old post but information, and opinions are always good to have for others asking the same questions.
Old 21-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR32 View Post
Baader Zoom is by far the best bang for buck zoom on the market. For the price you get a bit of everything. Optically it performs way outside its value and as for FOV you will never get the exotic FOV that fixed eps give you. If fov is a must then look at a Turret with a selection of eps to suit. $$$$
I know this is an old post but information, and opinions are always good to have for others asking the same questions.

You are right I chose it because of the reviews on birding forums
Old 22-08-2019, 10:46 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Great review on this Baader Zoom by the one and only Mr Bill Paolini.

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/...inoviewing.66/
Bigjoe.