Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 14-08-2017, 01:09 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

What do your Planet Capture Video's Look Like, here's mine

Hi all, ,

Thought to post a Video 'iPhone' in my case,,, as to show how a Planet 'Looks' on-screen during capture, ?

Could be interesting for others who may be inquisitive in this regard as I think it could help a little with Planet imaging for those learning, like myself, so to speak.
It is one experience to see posted (Final Processed Images) of Planets here & some occasional detail on "Capture' eg. FPS,, Amount of frames stack, , Etc,,, Tho, seeing the actual Video could aid in ones efforts, & possibly help understand how it appears/happens at the Live Screen, particularly the planet's appearance.

And, there is the 'infamous' conditions at the time, "SEEING" to consider, which is what I am particularly interested in.

I have used the Capture Prog: Fire Capture, tho any program will do, if you choose to share one ?

In my/this particular Video, The Telescope is my 12" Meade ACF at Prime Focus ! The sky/atmosphere conditions where approx, 3/5 for seeing;;; & 6/10 Transparency !
Saturn was sitting quite steady, but not looking 'sharp' which is rather normal for here

Also To-Note : I have the planet capture window set to 150% to enlarge it for the view. may need to be considered if one chooses to look with an eye to detail of the planets appearance during capture in these conditions ?

U-Tube Link : https://youtu.be/mGN_7TtbHlM

Hope this thread helps
Old 14-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice one Bob on a night worth capturing I always look for the Cassini Division in live view...if it's not there, I do something else

But yeah, the live view and stacked image are quite different beasts!
Old 16-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Paul Haese

I took a segment out of the video data I took on the 2 June. This is about 25 seconds of the red channel on one of the runs. Seeing was pretty steady.

Click here for video
Old 17-08-2017, 07:32 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Nice one Bob on a night worth capturing I always look for the Cassini Division in live view...if it's not there, I do something else

But yeah, the live view and stacked image are quite different beasts!
Oh yeah, the 'cantsee-division' mate, sometimes I cant see the gap between rings & the planet, but agree, cant see - no do
-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I took a segment out of the video data I took on the 2 June. This is about 25 seconds of the red channel on one of the runs. Seeing was pretty steady.

Click here for video
Hey Paul, awesome of you to share that, good man.
If I seen that here, you'd probably hear me from your place...
Mono obviously helps, but still, it gives one a good idea of conditions with this view - very refined edges showing there
Explains a lot, thanx ...
Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Howdy all,
I thought to bump this thread up and hopefully others may add their Planetary Video's as for all us can see how different they can be, depending on camera, scopes, weather etc ?
I certainly find it interesting to see and compare as it could be useful to others, & most importantly to create possible improvements for some of us.

Thank you again Paul for your contribution

Hope this thread can be more beneficial for us all ?

Cheers !
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Very beneficial. I think I'll give up on planetary for a while. I can't see anything anywhere near as clear as either of those. And mine is much more wobbly.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:29 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Very beneficial. I think I'll give up on planetary for a while. I can't see anything anywhere near as clear as either of those. And mine is much more wobbly.
Thx for that, & hearing you Chris, Planetary can be a PITA at times, or is that Most-of-the-time
I was checking the Planets out one night bout a week ago, only 30ks from here, looked really good, got home and they looked real bad ? I would hate to assume its the Local environment, Main Roads, Buildings & commercial industry all with a 5km circle where I located - Grrrrr
Old 08-08-2018, 05:34 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52nfAB17Ogk
Old 08-08-2018, 06:05 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987a View Post
Awesome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
...... got home and they looked real bad ? I would hate to assume its the Local environment, Main Roads, Buildings & commercial industry all with a 5km circle where I located - Grrrrr

Yes, local envirimnent plays a significant role in visibility, especially in towns/suburbs during winter when everyone have their heaters on...
I tried Saturn and Mars last week from Mt Waverley, results are not worth a single electron used to to post them here....
Old 08-08-2018, 06:54 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Thats quite insane & many thanx Barry Something we can all aim for, one of these days
28" & a quess stab in the dark about 1,000 times magnification, give/take a few hundred
Thnx again, that is awesome Barry & appreciate your time and effort for contributing your Vid - BTW I'll be at yours with my camera soon & I dont need your location, Ill get on my roof and look for a big pointy thing aimed at Saturn Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Yes, local environment plays a significant role in visibility, especially in towns/suburbs during winter when everyone have their heaters on...
I tried Saturn and Mars last week from Mt Waverley, results are not worth a single electron used to to post them here....
Hah, yes I thought soo, and was just thinking that it was one very early morning some years ago I seen a rather steady clear Jupiter, Hence everything local probably cooled down by then & this may be a consideration for the future. Great in the main sense but now need getting out cozy warm bed from now on
But indeed many thanx Bojan, this is great additional info I wasn't too sure about.
Cheers
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

There's a few more here that are not too shabby
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6...URxe6wRGzKla1g
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
There's a few more here that are not too shabby
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6...URxe6wRGzKla1g
Cheers again Barry, quite remarkable indeed, May I ask if your scope was setup in the burbs or out in country at the time ? Tho I know location is not the end-all of video quality; ie: if country had a night of bad seeing, that wouldn't compared well to burbs with good seeing, tho interesting all the same .
Cheers for that
Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

I have 'Trimmed an actual avi video to show a more accurate view compared to my 1st starting thread post which was only the iPhone capturing the Lappy screen !
And have also attached the Final processed Image resulting from the full Video, which was near 4 minutes, probably too long but experimentation in key
Captured with the QHY 5 II One-Shot-Color
Edit: Need to consider also You-Tube has unfortunately 'compressed' the data within the vid

All comments and/or expressions are totally welcomed

https://youtu.be/us1YYzDpE_8
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20-44-12-044_AS_p30_g4_ap517M1PSM1b_JPG2.jpg)
64.5 KB60 views

Last edited by astronobob; 09-08-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Altered
Old 09-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Marke (Mark)

I hate you all except for Bob he's is worse than mine you poor bugger
Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Cheers again Barry, quite remarkable indeed, May I ask if your scope was setup in the burbs or out in country at the time ? Tho I know location is not the end-all of video quality; ie: if country had a night of bad seeing, that wouldn't compared well to burbs with good seeing, tho interesting all the same .
Cheers for that

Setup is usually in my light polluted suburban backyard. I usually keep an eye on Skippy Sky and if it looks like a good night and I'm not too tired I roll the scope out for a session. I get quite good views of planets and the moon in town.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
I hate you all except for Bob he's is worse than mine you poor bugger
Yes, and yours is better than mine
I believe that You-Tube has compressed my Video a bit, the original doesn't have that 'blotchy' appearance . Cheers Mark
--------------------

Thanx Barry for that information
--------------------

It is good seeing the other Video here, I think I am recording at below Histogram recommendation, a little darkish - I should try either a longer exposure or adding some Gamma, when the wind stops blowin'