Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2016, 08:49 AM
benklerk

Skywatcher EQ8 or Mesu 200

Both mounts can support both telescopes I'm looking at (GSO 12 or 14" RC). The 2 mounts in my price range to choose from are the EQ8 and the Mesu 200. The Mesu 200 uses a friction drive system. From what I know about the friction drive, it has no backlash. The mount has a very small PE (under 4 arc sec peak to peak) and sub arc sec tracking. What are your thoughts on the drive system on the Mesu? It uses the Sidereal Technology servo controller II, Mesu-Optics, Mesu Mount 200.

From what I have heard about the Sidereal tech, that it's a pain to install and configure. Has anyone used it, and can give any feedback on your experience?

http://www.mesu-optics.nl/mesu200_en.html
http://www.skywatcher.com/product/eq8-synscan/
Old 30-11-2016, 11:10 PM
netwolf

I have used Sitech yes compared to other goto systems it's an acquired taste. However there is some awesome under the hood features built into there software and hardware. For a semi permanent backyard observatory setup i would go Sitech. i have used Gemini and I don't find it any less fiddle the only good thing about Gemini and other goto systems is that the can be used fully without a computer. Sitech can be used in standalone mode however this is for manual slew and track only. You could also use Argo Navis and possibly the Nexus with it also to provide a stand alone goto system. Last I read people have been trying to get sky safari to work with it for stand alone mode.

Also as Mesu is Servo motors you might be able to get Gemini to work with it also.

Between those two mounts IMHO the Mesu is the better mount.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 AM
billdan (Bill)

Hi,

I actually own a Mesu 200 but I have not had a chance to install it yet.
I didnt order any counter weights, so I have just recently sorted that out.
Plus the EQ6 tripod has to be drilled and tapped to install the adapter plate, which I will get around to soon.

When you order from Lucas, he will set up the Scitech controller for you after you give him your Lat and Long details, so in theory it should be plug and play after you switch on. I'll let you know in a few weeks.

There are a lot of bells and whistles in the latest Scitech firmware i.e

1) Ascom6 with Microsoft Dot Net v4 framework
2) Skyview (planetary program similar to Stellarium or CDC)
3) PointXp5 and Platesolve2 for sky modelling
4) Focuser and Rotator support (must be servo motors)
5) Joystick support instead of the supplied handpad
6) RS232 or USB communication to the PC and an ST4 port for guiding
7) Satellite tracking using TLERetriever2 free software

There is not a lot more I can tell you until I have it up and running, except to say at 25Kg in weight it is very heavy. You can optionally buy it with the RA and DEC parts split (14 + 11Kg) but I didn't bother as I willl be using it in the Obs and not going mobile.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMGP2465 resize.JPG)
89.3 KB250 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP2467 resize.JPG)
123.9 KB298 views
Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

the EQ8 is good value, but it is about half the price of the Mesu. On the basis that it is always a good idea to get the best mount you can afford, the Mesu would seem to be a better bet. It looks like it is fairly robust. http://lambermont.dyndns.org/astro/mesu2.jpg
Old 01-12-2016, 09:47 AM
billdan (Bill)

As Ray says the Mesu200 is about twice as much as the EQ8 (and you get a tripod/pier with the EQ8). The landed cost for me for the Mesu200 was $AU9150 inc GST (no customs duty) and freight to the door (via TNT).

The advantage of the EQ8 is the large user base here in Aust, so a lot of forum help is available. I will be the guinea pig for the Mesu200 in Australia.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM
glend (Glen)

As noted below, the EQ8 is very cost effective (of the two), and has a larger experienced user base. At the recent Andrews 10% off sale you could get an EQ8 head unit (no tripod) for about $4500, plus shipping (and that is GST and inbound shipping inclusive, and retail profit margin).
When chasing precision, is the cost justified for what your seeking to do?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM
benklerk

Thanks for your responses.

I'm just seeing what people think between the 2 mounts.

I know I can get the EQ8 mount from Andrews Comm don't need the legs as I will get a pier, plus I know how to use EQMOD as I have an HEQ5.
The only information I have trouble finding for the EQ8 is, how good is it tracking with a guider, can you get it almost flat lined with PHD2, and what is the longest single exposure can you do. As my goal is to get 3nm narrowband filters you need longer exposure times.

My timeframe is about 2 months, so hopeful will get the new year deals.

Looking forward for your review of the Mesu bill.

Ben
Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 AM
netwolf

Mesu also has double the capacity of the eq8
Old 03-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I did a lot of reading on the Mesu200 earlier this year, I would personally choose it over the EQ8. Being a friction drive it has no backlash. It has no PE; only a very smooth long waveform which is very easy to guide out. It cannot have PEC applied but it doesn't matter as what you would be wanting to correct is a smooth large wave anyway.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I purchased an EQ8 earlier this year. It is certainly an improvement over the EQ6 for the weight of my equipment. Here's a screenshot of the PHD2 guide log - this is without PEC and taken from the middle of Brisbane so not great seeing.

On a typical night I'm getting <1" RMS (0.3 pixels) with peak of about 2" (<1 pixel).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EQ8_PHD2.jpg)
196.6 KB421 views
Click for full-size image (EQ8_PHD2_2.jpg)
201.7 KB316 views