Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Paul Haese

Feather touch with motor and mount hub pro

Just a small problem that I am trying to sort. I have been told by Dave from Mount Hub Pro that if I connect up my Feather Touch focusor with motor directly to the MHP and using their special cable it will work with focusmax and through the MHP. Dave said that someone in Australia did this and it is working.

Firstly, is that person a member of this forum? If so was there any integration problems?

I am doing this so that my RC12 can use focusmax and I can get reliable focus. Using a bahtinov mask is ok but I want to automate my RC12. I have nearly finished automation of my TSA102 and then next logical step is to get the RC12 working. It has taken me the better half of a year to sort the automation on the TSA (I don't like wasting imaging time so I have been sorting things around full moon and that is not always clear). Sorting a wide field setup for automation first is infinitely easier than sorting a narrow field unit. Besides that ought to shut up one or two people who have been suggesting there is a problem.

I got the motor for the feather touch today and with the MOAG I want to try for focusmax first then do a guided run on M104 before it sets for the season.

Anyway if you can help please let me know. I am interested in getting this to work and feather touch are keen to know too.
Old 18-05-2013, 08:14 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

G'day Paul,

It was me that David was talking about. It was late last year he sent me the "special cable" he made up, but since receiving it then I've had too much on my plate (work and having a baby) that I hadn't had time (when there was the very rare clear night) to play with it.

Bit of background, which he may or may not have explained to you, but I'll repeat here for others. The MHP does have a built-in focus controller with DB9 serial connection. The FeatherTouch focus motor that I have (MSM30) takes a RJ11. I posted back then here on IIS trying to figure out the pinouts to make up my own cable to connect the 2, but didn't have much luck. I was in contact with both David from HitecAstro and also Wayne from Starlight Instruments to figure it out. Eventually I did get the info I was after, and did make up my own cable. Still didn't work, and realised that the MHP focus controller is 12V, but the FT motor is 5V (if I remember correctly). It took a while to figure this out because I couldn't find any specs on the FT that told me what motor was in it. Eventually I figured it out. Perhaps understandably, Wayne from SI wasn't forthcoming with the inner workings of his gear for proprietary reasons. I mean, he sells his own focus controllers so why give info freely to competitors.

Talking to Dave, and also Geoff (ozstonomer) and Peter (peter_4059) from IIS, we worked out that if we put resistors in the cable between the two, we could drop the voltage and it should work. Dave was extremely helpful, and made up the cable with a box of resistors to get the voltage right. Only downside is the resistors get hot in the process, but from my testing it's not an issue in the box, and after all once you've got focus you're not using the motor much.

Anyway, last night I finally had a play with it. It certainly does work with the MHP software's focus controls. Where I had some issues was with MaximDL's focus control. I chose the MHP ASCOM focus controller in MaximDL's setup, and it seemed to work sometimes, but not others. Bit unpredictable. Sometimes the motor would work, others not.

I couldn't get to the bottom of where the issue was last night, will have to muck around with some more testing. And I'll eventually be using FocusMax but haven't tried that yet. I may be a driver issue or something.

But it certainly worked reliably with the MHP software focus controls.

Hope that helps. I'm going to let David know these results too, as I haven't been able to give him feedback yet.
Old 18-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Paul Haese

Hi Troy,

that helps a lot. I think it is most likely a driver related issue. I will be doing likewise. I will just try for using focusmax straight out though. I have that going with the robofocus on the Tak. It did take some time to get the MHP working with robofocus and in the end it was the sequence of drivers.
Old 18-05-2013, 01:46 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

What do you mean by "sequence of drivers"? Might help me with my problem. How did you solve?
Old 18-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Paul Haese

I found that the sequence I installed the drivers made a huge difference to working or not working. The .network4 has to be installed first and then the ascom driver for the mount hub pro. Otherwise it will not work it works inconsistently. I did not install the robofocus driver either. I just use the mount hub driver only. That works really well with focusmax.
Old 18-05-2013, 09:49 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I think I figured out my problem with Maxim's focusing. There was a max position limit set of 1500 that Maxim was respecting. In the MHP software the position it was reporting best focus was around 2700. But in Maxim it was reporting it 1500. So I was trying to get Maxim to exceed the 1500 limit to get to 2700 and hence not "working".
Old 19-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Paul Haese

Ah that is great. Focusmax has steps around 3000 I have set with focus in the middle, so that should not be a problem. Good to know the motor works.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Paul Haese

So far I have the cable and that works with the mount hub pro. Now to install that on the RC12" and then get to making a V curve set for that and then onto imaging with RC12".
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Paul Haese

Installed motor and cable at the observatory today. Connection via the computer went fine and I tested the focus via the Mount Hub Pro software. Only thing left to do is the V curves. Now for some clear sky......
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Cool. Glad it's working.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Almost full steam ahead, terrific Paul, glad to hear you are getting the cobwebs out of the system.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Paul Haese

The beauty of it Troy as you know it is a significant cost saving in that you save money by not having to buy the feather touch unit which is not cheap. Its a great solution for people wanting to keep costs down. Good on you Hitecastro and to Wayne from Starlight for going along with this too.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Almost full steam ahead, terrific Paul, glad to hear you are getting the cobwebs out of the system.
Two further issues to go Andrew. One is to get my spare mount hub pro fixed (blew a couple of power modules) and the other is to get another computer up and running. I need two computers and two mount hub pros to run the scopes on the mount. Not much more to go and I will be posting images from both scopes on a regular basis. The RC has not seen much service yet but I plan on changing that very soon.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

you have an automated roofing system installed also?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
you have an automated roofing system installed also?
Not yet Andrew, that is something I am yet to decide to do. I am thinking I will get a dome and automate the dome, the roll off roof will house my planetary imaging gear. I don't yet need automation for that sort of imaging, although that might well be on the cards in the future.
Old 28-11-2016, 02:08 PM
snuffee (Nicky Ladas)

Hi Paul and Troy...

Do either of your Gent's have the pinouts/schematics for the serial to rj12 cable?

Regards,
Snuffee (Nicky)
Old 28-11-2016, 03:08 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I don't have them handy any more. Suggest you try the MHPro guys, they're very helpful.