Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM
YukonFL (Ryan)

A portable mount for my DSLR

Hello,

I have been doing wildlife photography for much of this year but have now been put on the third shift. Wishing to continue my photographic journey, I am trying to dive into the astrophotography scene. My goal is to spend time out in dark sites, reacquainting myself with the night sky and sharing it.

I have a Canon DSLR and am in need a mount that is carryable 1/4 - 1/2 mile on foot into dark sites near me. Initially, my research pointed to the Orion Sirius as a great introductory mount. However, a lighter mount would be more ideal. Further research points to purchasing a mount made by Vixen, Celestron, or Ioptron. it would be great to get some personal feedback on these brands. If anyone has any input, please don't hesitate to chime in!

Yukon
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 PM
brianholbrook (Bri)

Don't forget the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer. Great little unit, takes 4AA batteries and runs for hours!!

I will be selling mine soon if you are looking to buy used? Keep an eye on the classifieds :-)