Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 16-09-2020, 08:27 AM
sfarndell (Scott)

Anyone interested in Angelgilding to silver their mirrors?

I'm looking to try and get some angelgilding as the coatings on my 16" and 8" need redoing. Preferably before the Mars opposition next month.

Price is a bit prohibitive for just one batch. Quote is USD $150 (possibly plus sales tax) for the 2-part solution, sensitiser and the wetting agent, plus USD$220 or so for the import permit and shipping. There is also customs duty on top (don't really know this, but estimate around 20% or so). All up, its around USD440-470 (A$650-700).

The import permit is not per order, but per shipment so there are economies of scale to leverage.

It starts becoming a more viable prospect if 3-4 'kits' are purchased, which makes it around A$370-$400 each.

If anyone is interested, and will commit to purchasing a kit (at cost! this is a hobby), PM me and I'll bring in a few sets. It would be cash on collection - you can't post locally so only really open to people here in Melbourne who can fetch it once lockdown restrictions have eased.
Old 18-09-2020, 03:20 PM
appiice (Ed)

Duty

Hello Scott

FYI, you shouldn't get pinged with any duty IF the product was made in the States, we have a " Free Trade Agreement " with the Yanks. Nothing to say someone won't try it on.

You will likely get pinged GST ( thank you gerry harvey ( one of the richest men in Oz so he lobbied the Comm Gov to have GST charged on sub $1000.00 imports ) the GST will also be levied on any freight component.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ed
Old 19-09-2020, 06:23 PM
sfarndell (Scott)

Thanks Ed, appreciate that.
Old 21-09-2020, 02:27 PM
sopticals (Stephen)

Hi, I'm over here in NZ. Have used AG spray method on several mirrors in the past. Larger sizes 22"-33". However due to complications in air freighting "liquids" (possible terrorist liquid bombs). I've decided to try out a local domestic mirror silvering firm. Been quoted NZ$40 for a 22" and $100 (GST inc) or a 25". I would insist on being there to "oversee" however. Maybe your best option would be to find such a service near you as I think it would make more economic sense.

Stephen.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:57 PM
hamishbarker

I believe angel gilding is using Tollens test for formaldehyde to precipitate the silver. It's a pretty standard high school chemistry prac, so perhaps you could find a local chemistry teacher and make a fun and practical demo for them.

when my 22" mirror needs redoing, my friend who is a teacher will do it (after I do the chalk cleaning.)