Old 13-02-2008, 11:48 AM
snowyskiesau

Copyright protection on photos

Noticed this while browsing around the web this morning. It's a system for embedding a biometric imprint (iris scan) on an image.
Not sure if many astro imagers have a problem with copyright theft but this would at least ensure you could prove a pubished photo was your own.

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/0...ion-watermark/
Old 13-02-2008, 01:35 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

best i can do is include my name in my exif info... that would be proof i guess. not quite as exotic as this tho
Old 13-02-2008, 02:11 PM
bojan
amateur

And probably as useful..
Because exif info is lost by opening and save_as in almost any other photoeditor (apart from Canon DPP). Most likely the same applies to this watermarking.
They are probably pushing for standardized photoeditors, which will retain this information.. something like Adobe Acrobat stadard is for documents?
But someone could still copy and paste the screen shot, so here we go...

edit:
Anybody remebers The Beatles and their attempt to prevent copying their songs on tape (which was VERY popular practice in '70 and '80ies...)?
Old 14-02-2008, 01:45 PM
leon

I reckon if some one is so desperate to knock off someone else's work, and claim it as their own, let them have it, at the end of the day, they are the losers.

They may show others and say, look at what i produced, but in the heart they know they are lier's.

Leon
Old 14-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

So true Leon, and in the end they are always found out.

Cheers
Old 14-02-2008, 02:51 PM
leon

Yes Ric, my mother always told me many moons ago, she said, It dosen't matter how fast the lie is, the truth will always overtake it some day.

Leon

Last edited by leon; 14-02-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 14-02-2008, 04:02 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I reckon if some one is so desperate to knock off someone else's work, and claim it as their own, let them have it, at the end of the day, they are the losers.

They may show others and say, look at what i produced, but in the heart they know they are lier's.

Leon
I understand what you're saying Leon but until you've actually had one of your images 'stolen' and someone making money from your image then it's easy to say 'let them have it, at the end of the day, they are the losers.'

I belong to a popular photography forum and it's a major issue with people going to great lengths to protect their copyright.
How hard would it be for someone to troll the forums or personal web sites and pick off photos/images that they need for their profitable use.

It's the same as software/music/video piracy IMO.
Old 14-02-2008, 07:38 PM
leon

True Andrew, I get your point, I suppose i'm one of those people that would rather give away any of my images than to sell them.
I know what i do is probably not of a high standard as such, but even if they were I would still rather people have them, rather than buy them.
So I suppose if some one pinched one of mine for their own profit I wouldn't look upon that act as being copy right theft as such.

I don't no, maybe I have this all wrong, I have used other peoples images for certain projects as you know, but have always asked their permission first, and wouldn't think of using am image for profit without the owners consent.

I seem to be going around in circles here, and probably didn't consider the seriousness of the statement i made earlier.

Leon