Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 PM
blink138 (Pat)

F1 versus Moto GP

something reminded me just now when i thought about looking up youtube as i wanted to see some footage of that all american clean cut non drinking 500cc motorcycle rider Freddie Spencer
he was trying his hand at car racing and realised that it, (car racing), was more clear cut because it had line entry, apex and and exit and limits your creativity that you get from a motorcycle
i started watching motorcycling right at the end of freddie spencers reign as only a few races were live on channel 9 started only when our own wayne gardener started mixing it up with the bigguns!
of course there are massive other differences between the two but perhaps it is a reason why the there are virtually no crossovers in the sport
i did get a hint though that he found racing cars "stifling"
pat
Old 05-03-2015, 02:36 AM
billdan (Bill)

Gooday Pat,

Your right on there, Casey Stoner gave up driving the V8's because of the lack of creativity. In car (road) racing you basically have to stay in line until the guy in front of you makes a mistake and then you have a chance to pass.

With the bikes you can take a different line through the corner and gain better exit speed. I like watching the 125's because they can use the draft to pass down the straight, and its not uncommon to have 3 or 4 different leaders on one lap.

F1's, Indy and Nascar can take advantage of the draft but not our V8 Supercars because of the rev limiter.

I enjoy watching them all each of them, because they all have different strategy's to get up to the pointy end.

Like you I started watching the bikes when Wayne Gardner arrived on the scene.

Regards

Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 06:10 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'm not a bikie fan as such, more into the cars (rally mostly) side but I admit I do enjoy watching bikes on the track. Some of the angles they get down to and the tactics into corners are quite astounding as are some of the spectacular 'offs' they have. Always amazes me when a rider slides across the track on his derriere into the kitty litter and the first thing he does is try to get his bike up and going again.
I've also enjoyed watching the amateur rider races we used to get on Sommet Sport channel over here but unfortunately they went off the air a month or so back. It was good watching some of the up and coming hopefuls as they learned and competed.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I don't agree entirely that car racing means staying in place hoping for the driver in front to make a mistake. Though it is probably a good point in the current "pinnacle" tin tops in Australia. I use that term only because that is what V8SC market themsves as.

Touring car racing or old was better IMO because it lacked the "parity" exercise, if you wanted to beat the other car you had to build a faster car, and that might mean building one that was down on top speed but had better mid corner speed and better brakes, so differences between the cars left the racing more entertaining.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:30 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

F1 Driver 20%, Car 80%
Moto GP Rider 80%, Bike 20%

Rossi proved this a few years back
Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Wayne Gardner's old man is my cousin, so I guess that makes him my second cousin!!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
F1 Driver 20%, Car 80%
Moto GP Rider 80%, Bike 20%

Rossi proved this a few years back
so did eddie lawson! after winning a few(?) on the yam, went to honda and won the championship on his first go............. said the honda was "embarrassingly" fast!