Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 28-02-2015, 10:23 PM
h0ughy (David)

whats wrong with doing a fully integrated concrete floor for an observatory?

ok i am having a huge think here, snakes and moisture, but, and like me its a big butt, can i get away with a fully integrated slab which would be 800mm thick in the middle for 1.8m2 and then the overall thickness would be 200mm on the outer edges for a total size of 3x3m. the 2.3m dome would sit on this and the pier mounted in the middle? would this be stable enough?
Old 28-02-2015, 10:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

You still need your pier separate from the slab you walk on.
Old 28-02-2015, 10:36 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
You still need your pier separate from the slab you walk on.
sure? i would have thought there was enough mass not to affect it? ok what would you suggest? all ears
Old 28-02-2015, 10:46 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
sure? i would have thought there was enough mass not to affect it? ok what would you suggest? all ears
I don't have an obs but I have a pier with about 1.5 cubic metres of concrete and reo under it in a pyramidal shape with a base of 600x600 about 1m deep. When I walk around the pier in the grass, it's enough to throw the guiding. So no matter how big your slab here, I'm pretty sure it will transfer to the pier when you walk around if it's integral to the slab. I'd make the pier footing thinner and deeper, with a gap in between its edges and the slab.
Old 28-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Although I did isolate in my previous OBs, and intuatively think thats best, itelescopes OBS is one giant slab and is no prob at all. If you wont be in the OBs during imaging, or tippy toe when you are, I suspect youll get away with it.
Old 28-02-2015, 11:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
I don't have an obs but I have a pier with about 1.5 cubic metres of concrete and reo under it in a pyramidal shape with a base of 600x600 about 1m deep. When I walk around the pier in the grass, it's enough to throw the guiding. So no matter how big your slab here, I'm pretty sure it will transfer to the pier when you walk around if it's integral to the slab. I'd make the pier footing thinner and deeper, with a gap in between its edges and the slab.
i found with the old doghouse that even with a separate pier walking around transferred anyway to the guiding so i can confirm that, similar size to yours. i even picked up trucks passing over the hydrant cover in the road about 50m away

the mass of the new proposed structure would be around 9 154kg or 9 ton
Old 28-02-2015, 11:09 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Although I did isolate in my previous OBs, and intuatively think thats best, itelescopes OBS is one giant slab and is no prob at all. If you wont be in the OBs during imaging, or tippy toe when you are, I suspect youll get away with it.
ok initially i will be to focus and target and start of the guiding but after that no so much until the end. probably for my solar work i will be in the observatory the whole time, except when setting up for a time-lapse grab session.

the real reason is the ground i am on is very soft, crappy soil and there are only so many ways to dress a tu....
Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

It'll probably come down to what your soil under the obs is like, Dave. Hopefully you don't have any reactive clay layers?

I would probably still separate the pier footing and the slab. Depth is key for stability for the pier footing. The deeper you go the more pressure there is holding the footing. Mine was only 350 x 350 in area but the plan was to go 1000 deep, but I hit bedrock at about 700 or so, so chipped into that about 50mm to key it. Put some 10mm foam expansion jointing around the footing before you pour the slab. 100mm slab with 1 layer of F62 mesh on 50mm chairs will be fine (cracking control).

Al.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
i found with the old doghouse that even with a separate pier walking around transferred anyway to the guiding so i can confirm that, similar size to yours. i even picked up trucks passing over the hydrant cover in the road about 50m away

the mass of the new proposed structure would be around 9 154kg or 9 ton
I guess the heavier the structure, the less chance of rocking it, but for a small size obs I'd still separate pier from slab. Or have a separate floating deck.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
I guess the heavier the structure, the less chance of rocking it, but for a small size obs I'd still separate pier from slab. Or have a separate floating deck.
well then i go back to my original idea? maybe i could get the outer part poured leaving a bell shaped are for the pier to be poured. so if i wrapped the black compose bin in the foam would that be enough buffer? therefore it would be done in two pours
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
It'll probably come down to what your soil under the obs is like, Dave. Hopefully you don't have any reactive clay layers?

I would probably still separate the pier footing and the slab. Depth is key for stability for the pier footing. The deeper you go the more pressure there is holding the footing. Mine was only 350 x 350 in area but the plan was to go 1000 deep, but I hit bedrock at about 700 or so, so chipped into that about 50mm to key it. Put some 10mm foam expansion jointing around the footing before you pour the slab. 100mm slab with 1 layer of F62 mesh on 50mm chairs will be fine (cracking control).

Al.
high reactive soils with a high moisture content
Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 PM
glend (Glen)

David I hope you did not get hit with that massive storm that swept through here heading towards Newcastle. A real observatory weather test, high winds, heavy rain, and hail. It would fill up your pit pretty quick. Not a day to concrete.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM
thunderchildobs

I have a single 4" concete floor for my observatory, with the pier bolted to it. The problem is the concreate sits on ground. Where i live, there is black soil that moves with the weather, eg wet / dry. I have a high quality bubble level on the the pier. In a week or two the pier moves. I need to constantly relevel the pier and adjust the polar alignment.

Since I am only in the observatory to setup / packup and image remotely, moving around in the observatory is not an issue.

Brendan
Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I have a single slab. I did that because I have no way of digging down to bed rock to give a solid foundation for a pier. And I've heard of plenty of wobbly hyper sensitive isolated piers in concrete blocks in my type of soil.

The slab isn't ideal though and whilst I don't get the same sort of issue that Brendan talks of (I thought I might, but got lucky) I do notice on occasion that the rather crude dome rotation of the Sirius can put a small vibration into the scope. I noticed it much more with the LX200 forks, my EQ8 is so much more robust.

So my ideal set up would to still use a wide slab to give it stability on the surface, but mount the Observatory on a floating Deck. Thankfully - I can still do that in retrospect if I can ever be bothered. I can't...
Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 AM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

David
One possibility is to pour it in one go then use a concrete saw to cut a one meter square in the middle and fill the cut with expanding foam. Should isolate it enough to work.
Cheers
Stephen
Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlegs View Post
David
One possibility is to pour it in one go then use a concrete saw to cut a one meter square in the middle and fill the cut with expanding foam. Should isolate it enough to work.
Cheers
Stephen
Yes, but the central 1 meter would have insufficient mass as a slab, needs to have a solid block beneath it for stabilty.

Skyslab sits on a single big slab, because it was already there when we bought the house. But I have an isolated floor from the pier although iy is sitting on the same slab with the corner blocks well away from the pier base. I guess I'm lucky in that the slab is stuck to the solid lava flow rock of our local wee volcano ( extinct, or so they say )

I'd say in shifty soil having a deep isolated block for the pier is even more important. As has been mentioned earlier the deeper the better to find a more stable subsoil base. I'd be more inclined to pour a block and pier setup then build an Ob around that with a raised wooden floor above the soil line and forget the big slab idea.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM
RB (Andrew)

David, you've seen and used my slab.
I'm not going to bother isolating the mount when I build my obs.
I reckon you can get away with it too.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
h0ughy (David)

here is an example of what i have to work with. the concrete boys turned up got bogged and left. in their words they will return when it dries out. that may be never

also shows the soil - crud

i think i am going to risk it and do the big massive pour. it will either sink or swim need a big floating raft that is massive enough not to deflect. i think the titan will dampen things out for me. the whole setup also wobbled over at the other house? agggrrrhhhhhhh i feel like SHREK living in a swamp
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20150302_104846web.jpg)
197.4 KB151 views
Click for full-size image (20150302_104907web.jpg)
195.9 KB153 views
Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
here is an example of what i have to work with. the concrete boys turned up got bogged and left. in their words they will return when it dries out.
I'd get the 'concrete boys' back asap to clean out the mess they left. Unreal...
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
David, you've seen and used my slab.
I'm not going to bother isolating the mount when I build my obs.
I reckon you can get away with it too.

i have and its not wee slab either. hey been to Camden twice over the weekend - its like little italy there, as opposed to mangrove Greece all i have done is be the chauffeur
Closed Thread