Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Hemi

Shipping

Dear Members,

I was wondering how people here organize shipping within Australia for big telescopes they buy in the classifieds. Any recommendations for companies to use or stay away from. There are a plethora of confusing options on line.

Thinking of shipping a telescope with mount, total weight 65kg across Australia.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Clear skies

Hemi
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Wavytone

Strongly recommend FedEx, fast and efficient, they handle it all including customs and ensuring you pay GST (if necessary) then deliver to your door. Without using Aust Post.

I ordered a mount from Losmandy on a Thursday, they collected it that night in LA, it landed in Sydney Saturday, cleared customs and GST Monday and it was on my doorstep Tuesday morning 0800. You’d be hard pressed to match that within Australia for a large item.

Also had my mak shipped Fedex, it’s a very rare one and effectively irreplaceable. Arrived swiftly and in excellent collimation.

If the carrier uses Aust Post at this end smallish things will go by their courier to your door or to your local PO, but large heavy things you may have to collect from a major postal depot somewhere. This means > 15 kg or longer than 1.5m box.

Do not use DHL - very very slow - 3 months on a slow boat - and have lost two parcels out of four from Germany. Their tracking system doesn’t work either.

Last edited by Wavytone; 08-02-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Hemi

Thanks Wavytone,

I was wanting to ship within Australia.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Hemi,

Greyhound have a good reputation. I used them to get a LX200 from one place in Australia to another and was very happy.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I used Shaw's Darwin Transport to ship a 10" LX200 GPS with wedge and tripod from Sydney to Karatha a number of years back. I crated it first, but it arrived in Karatha without any problems.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:44 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

I don't recommend Pack'n'Send.

I've had good success with StarTrack (well...they are a division of Australia Post now) and have used FedEx to ship inside Australia.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 AM
PCH (Paul)

E-Go ... very economical with various options for reducing the cost, - like depot to depot instead of door to door. I’ve used them a few times door to door without incident.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:14 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Remember that E-Go is owned by Hunter Express Hunter Express is definitely not a telescope worthy courier. We used to use them and had very high breakage levels for our food packaging lines. Once we moved over to Direct Freight Express our breakages went to almost zero!
Old 09-02-2018, 05:40 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
Remember that E-Go is owned by Hunter Express Hunter Express is definitely not a telescope worthy courier. We used to use them and had very high breakage levels for our food packaging lines. Once we moved over to Direct Freight Express our breakages went to almost zero!
Ah ha! I didn't know that. I must have just been lucky for the handful of things I've sent, - thankfully
Old 09-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Hemi

Thanks everyone, I will give the recommended ones a go for a quote.
....Hey Paul, just noticed the LFC connection......Im originally from England, and I'm a red through and through as well! YNWA!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

I’ve just had two items shipped from down south into Darwin by Direct Freight Express. One was an EQ5 pier extension from Melbourne, the other a 125kg stump grinder from Wollongong. Both arrived in good condition, and in quick smart time. 4 days for the stump grinder by road.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I routinely send 1-3 mixed pallets out a day with Direct Freight and they're spot on. If you're looking for a carton courier - these guys are the bees knees. Their facilities are state of the art and their delivery model is quick.